Legs and Thighs

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
Prospector

Legs and Thighs

Post by Prospector »

Discovered another use for that wild turkey landing gear . Crock- pot with chicken base ( broth) and butter for a bit of fat. Keep covered w/liquid pretty much and cook on low til it comes apart easily. Strain out undesirable, shred and back in pot with fav bbq sauce til warm. Can be eaten alone or as a sandwich.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
MAK

Re: Legs and Thighs

Post by MAK »

Yum!
MAK
PennBirdy

Post by PennBirdy »

That’s my favorite way to eat them! After a few hours in the crock, the meat peals right off.
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

...and it’s a considerable amt too . Between 1-2lbs I bet.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I cook them in a crock pot until the meat falls of the bone, then I make stew with meat. I put potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, etc, in the ninja and let her fly. It’s good stuff. Problem is, it looks like beef stew because of the dark meat but it tastes like turkey. Messes with your head!
BTW. You have to add Worcestershire sauce. It makes all the difference in the world. Trust me on this one! :thumbleft:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

I used to do it this way until I got an Instant Pot. Same end product, but quicker and tastes a bit better to me. Rub favorite seasoning on outside of thighs, add 1 cup broth to pot. Cook on high for 1hr then let natural release. Simple and delicious!
PennBirdy

Post by PennBirdy »

I just recently got an instant pot and it’s amazing what it can do to a completely frozen roast in 90 minutes. I’m excited to do turkey legs this spring, hopefully!
maddog3355

Post by maddog3355 »

Haven’t tried the instant pot yet but my old tried and true method is to throw legs and thighs in the pressure cooker and cook them for 30 minutes. Let cool and shred and remove the leg tendons. Then put in egg noodles or just warm up and make sandwiches with mayo. Not near as good as fried breast but it will make you full.
PharmHunter

Post by PharmHunter »

Made some fajitas the other night after using the crockpot method overnight to remove bones and tendons. They were Excellent!
Fdept56

Post by Fdept56 »

7B019674-CF0E-4E72-B321-6B555F6C7A50.png
I did this the other night with 2 thighs. Could have used a little bit more meat but it was great!
tr3y0248

Post by tr3y0248 »

legs and thighs are my favorite! Shame so many hunters discard them.

one thing I really like to do is slow cook them in crockpot with mexican seasoning and shred the meat once it falls off the bones. makes great tacos!
Attachments
FullSizeRender-1.jpeg
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I made two deep dish turkey pot pies yesterday from half a breast and all the dark meat. One I gave to a buddy and the other went in the freezer to take to another friend this weekend when we hunt his property. Gil
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

PennBirdy wrote: March 24th, 2019, 6:35 pm I just recently got an instant pot and it’s amazing what it can do to a completely frozen roast in 90 minutes. I’m excited to do turkey legs this spring, hopefully!
my wife bought me an electric pressure cooker at a yard sale a while back,,,that thing is great - you will like it for legs and thighs,,,,try gizzards in it some time,,,,they come out great

cleaned gizzards
water to cover
season to preference
add a few tablespoons of olive oil
set to 20 minutes high pressure (on mine - whatever works on yours)

they are tender as the day is long,,,,can then fry, make gravy, whatever

Return to “Camp Dinner”