Backwoods Venison Jerky

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Backwoods Venison Jerky

Post by HunterGKS »

A lot of questions about making venison jerky were asked on an outdoor site of which I am a member.
Hopefully this string will clarify the process in the way that I make jerky.

I made 14 pounds of venison jerky & took pics as I went along. I don’t do anything special, just
followed the directions on the jerky seasonings packet.

Pic 1

Encapsulated Citric Acid lowers the PH making the jerky more shelf stable, makes the drying time
shorter, & the jerky more firm. It also adds a slight citrus flavor which, IMHO, makes the jerky
taste even better.

LEM Cure helps the meat cure properly. The jerky mix had a packet so I didn’t have to add any.

Trehalose improves the flavor of the jerky by removing the “gamey” taste as well as any freezer
taste. It also helps retain water, reduces shrinkage, & preserves the flavor of the jerky.

Backwoods Snack Stick mix contains all the spices needed to make jerky. I like jerky more than
the sticks but they both taste the same & require the same processing.

Rubber gloves help keep your hands clean. The jerky is extremely sticky & comes off the gloves
easier than the hands.

Pic 2

I use a LEMs Jerky Cannon to shoot the jerky onto the trays of my dehydrator. I use the ice cream
scoop to fill the shooter. It’s a lot easier the using my hands. I do have a tamping tool to push the
meat down but it’s more trouble than it’s worth. The scoop pushes the meat down easily.

Pic 3 & 4

The Redhead Dehydrator I use. It had 6 trays & I bought 4 more as that’s the max number of
trays the dehydrator can handle.

Pic 5

10 pounds of venison & 4 pounds of pork. I trimmed as much fat & silver skin from all the meat
as possible.

Pic 6

The ground venison & pork. I prefer to have all the meat partially frozen as it grinds a lot better.

Pic 7

The jerky meat mix. I have a hand mixer that holds 17 pounds of meat. I spent 15-20 minutes
mixing the meat & seasonings. If you ever want to work-out your arms, this is a good way to do it.

Pic 8

1 dehydrator tray filled with jerky.

Pic 9

All 10 trays filled & the dehydrator running. I have it set to 158 degrees &, after 2 hours, I rotate
the bottom tray to the top & then, every ½ to 1 hour, depending on dryness, move the bottom tray
to the top. Also, I turn each piece over as this helps the drying process. I have found that this
helps getting all the jerky done at about the same time.

Pic 10

The finished jerky. The pile is 20” long & 8” high at the highest point. It took a total of about
12 hours to get it all done. It took a total of 13 trays so I had to wait until 3 trays were done
before I could get it all loaded.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Backwoods Venison Jerky

Post by Hognutz »

That’s what I’m talking about, right there. I love that stuff. I add an ounce or two of Tabasco and a shake or two of coarse red pepper!!
You’re killin me here, George!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Backwoods Venison Jerky

Post by HunterGKS »

Hognutz wrote: December 10th, 2018, 11:48 am That’s what I’m talking about, right there. I love that stuff. I add an ounce or two of Tabasco and a shake or two of coarse red pepper!!
You’re killin me here, George!!
Thumbs Up 1.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Camp Dinner”