Cast Iron Cooking

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Cast Iron Cooking

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

RapscallionVermilion wrote: January 8th, 2018, 10:05 am
ICDEDTURKES wrote: January 7th, 2018, 10:48 am Cooking on cast is awesome almost bought Dutch oven yesterday. Everyone one on my kamado forums are doing smoked chili on them. Smoking hamburger in upper rack with Dutch oven on bottom rack allowing drippings to fall into rest of chile.
Those cast iron Dutch ovens are awesome for baking bread too. Get the oven heated to 500F with the dutch oven in it, and bake the bread for the first twenty minutes with the lid on, second fifteen to twenty off. The lid keeps the moisture in and makes for a great crust and the hot iron surrounding the loaf gives a nice even bake. Country style sourdough loaf.
Um yeah pass the butter
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote: January 8th, 2018, 9:55 am I had some Barbary sheep I believe it was once at Gobblenuts camp can't say i complained much about the taste when I was going for seconds ! I still love a nice moose steak but like you I say about sheep my last moose hunt was a number of years ago before our government decided they care more about transgenders than our wildlife so won't probably be hunting them again anytime soon. I would love to try some of that elk though !
Wasn't calf over the counter?

Trudeau is the man!!! Lol
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Not done on cast iron. Baked it in the oven. I’ve drooled over your cooking. Here’s some of mine. New Years Eve prime Rib and scallops. Crazy stupid good!
A74DA834-7491-4321-80BB-229C68A5BFFB.jpeg
Attachments
4C47E377-5D8C-444B-AAE5-95169DA4F033.jpeg
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: January 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm Not done on cast iron. Baked it in the oven. I’ve drooled over your cooking. Here’s some of mine. New Years Eve prime Rib and scallops. Crazy stupid good!

Cooked perfect med rare and I love sauteed buttons. I have come to love scallops. I guess for me crab = favorite, lobster good but not as sweet and and a grainer texture.

Scallops kinda the middle not as sweet as crab but not a pia cracking shells either but sweeter and more tender then lobster

Seriously though cold or steamed shrimp rivals crab for me. But you need ST Nemo's sauce. First found when in NC I ate shrimp everyday, ordered a case to find our local grocery carried it. When I make cocktail sauce it's 80-20 the 80 being horseradish, but it has nothing on this ****. They must grow their horseradish at a radiation dump
It's hot but not stupid eat it to be cool hot.

https://store.stelmos.com/Cocktail-Sauc ... sauce.htm
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Thanks for the link, Tom!
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Hognutz wrote: January 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm Not done on cast iron. Baked it in the oven. I’ve drooled over your cooking. Here’s some of mine. New Years Eve prime Rib and scallops. Crazy stupid good!

Definitely drool inducing. That prime rib looks perfect. Scallops are certainly near or at the top of my shellfish list. I find them trickier than the others to get just right, but oh so worth it.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The secret to cooking scallops is to find "dry packed" versus "wet packed". Wet packed are soaked in a phosphate solution to add water weight and one can never get a crust on the outside as it continues to ooze water as opposed to "dry packed" that aren't in a solution. Gil
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Agreed. They have to be DRY before hitting the pan. Some olive oil and more buttter. About three minutes per side. We pat them dry with a paper towel and let the sit out on and covered in toweling till room temperature. They melt in your mouth. Perfect.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

GLS wrote: January 8th, 2018, 10:12 pm The secret to cooking scallops is to find "dry packed" versus "wet packed". Wet packed are soaked in a phosphate solution to add water weight and one can never get a crust on the outside as it continues to ooze water as opposed to "dry packed" that aren't in a solution. Gil
Good to know, I'll look for that next time.

Return to “Camp Dinner”