javelina - cochinita pibil

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
RapscallionVermilion

javelina - cochinita pibil

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Cooked up some javelina using Hank Shaw's recipe for cochinita pibil, a Yucatan style pork dish.
http://honest-food.net/javelina-recipe-cochinita-pibil

The red sauce is an achiote paste and bitter orange juice (naranja agria) marinade. The big green leaves are avocado leaves and the smaller ones are a central american herb called epazote. I marinated the meat overnight and cooked it for 7 hours at 275 on the offset grill with apple chunks for smoke. Part way through I covered the tray with butcher paper to keep some moisture in.

We served it on corn tortillas with a mixture of manzano and habanero chiles, red onions pickled in lime juice, and some cilantro.

I know javelinas don't get a lot of respect as table fare, but this was delicious. I think this recipe would work very well with turkey legs and I'll try that real soon.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: javelina - cochinita pibil

Post by howl »

That looks like it'd taste great no matter the meat. :thumbup:
J-Shaped

Post by J-Shaped »

That looks great.

Hank's got it going on when it comes to game recipes. His venison barbacoa is a big hit at our house. I recently made a big batch using all of the legs from this springs' gobblers and you'd never have known it was turkey, much less the legs.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Looks good!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

that looks great,,,don't have any javelina but have some feral pig I may try that one!

Return to “Camp Dinner”