I grow a little fruit to munch on

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
Night_Hawk

I grow a little fruit to munch on

Post by Night_Hawk »

Tail Feathers

Re: I grow a little fruit to munch on

Post by Tail Feathers »

Looking good, especially those berries! Mmmmmm......
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

Those mulberries are easy to grow. Nothing seems to affect them.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Cool looking apples.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Night_Hawk wrote:Those mulberries are easy to grow. Nothing seems to affect them.
Mulberries even grow where you don't want 'em to. ;)
Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

Thanks guys.

That particular mulberry is a named variety that has even better tasting fruit than common ones. It also bears for several weeks longer than the native trees around here. There are actually still a few hanging on the tree right now.

And with apples fresh off the tree, there is no comparison with supermarket apples. But, that is true with a lot of homegrown stuff - just like tomatoes.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Looks good, Steve. You must be getting some rain. It's so dry here, my mulberry trees haven't even fruited up. My apple tree is completely bare & the pear tree only has a few stunted fruit. It's been over 3 weeks since I mowed.

My asparagus did great this spring when it was rainy. I have gotten 1 cutting from my barb & am just about ready for a 2nd. I do have a helluva nice 2 1/2 acre field of Queen Ann's Lace, Buckhorn, & other weeds but they're all dying. You can walk across my yard & it sounds like corn flakes with each step.

If you have any spare rain, send it north. It's been weeks since we've had any measurable amount.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

HunterGKS wrote:Looks good, Steve. You must be getting some rain. It's so dry here, my mulberry trees haven't even fruited up. My apple tree is completely bare & the pear tree only has a few stunted fruit. It's been over 3 weeks since I mowed.

My asparagus did great this spring when it was rainy. I have gotten 1 cutting from my barb & am just about ready for a 2nd. I do have a helluva nice 2 1/2 acre field of Queen Ann's Lace, Buckhorn, & other weeds but they're all dying. You can walk across my yard & it sounds like corn flakes with each step.

If you have any spare rain, send it north. It's been weeks since we've had any measurable amount.
George, it sounds like you are in a horrible drought. We went through a short drought (about 3 weeks) and then came out of it with a lot of rain. Wish I could send you some of our rain brother!!!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Night_Hawk wrote:
HunterGKS wrote:Looks good, Steve. You must be getting some rain. It's so dry here, my mulberry trees haven't even fruited up. My apple tree is completely bare & the pear tree only has a few stunted fruit. It's been over 3 weeks since I mowed.

George, it sounds like you are in a horrible drought. We went through a short drought (about 3 weeks) and then came out of it with a lot of rain. Wish I could send you some of our rain brother!!!
Steve, It's probably been at least 4 months since we had any real rain. I was in 3 different woods yesterday & the walnuts have already dropped. Not a good sign.
George

Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

HunterGKS wrote:
Night_Hawk wrote:

Steve, It's probably been at least 4 months since we had any real rain. I was in 3 different woods yesterday & the walnuts have already dropped. Not a good sign.
Yes, that is horrible. The last time I saw anything like that was several years ago. When even the weeds start browning out, you know it has to be bad. Hoping you get some relief before long.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Night_Hawk wrote:
Night_Hawk wrote:
HunterGKS wrote:
Yes, that is horrible. The last time I saw anything like that was several years ago. When even the weeds start browning out, you know it has to be bad. Hoping you get some relief before long.
Steve, I thought I’d post a few pics to show what it’s like here in central Ohio. I can move them to a new string.

This is what most of my yard looks like, all 2 ½ acres. The green is mostly weeds that are dying but there is a little green grass.

Usually this tree is full of pears getting close to picking size. What few pears there are pretty small.

Even the corn is starting to suffer. Not only is the drought affecting them, the coons are as well.

The only thing doing any good is my rhubarb which is almost ready for a 2nd cutting.

George

Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

Wow George, glad you posted those pics. I haven't seen it that bad here for many, many years.

It's strange how the weather gets on a pattern and stays that way for a long time.
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

How old are most of your fruit trees? Looks like you will have a huge crop this year for sure. What do you do with your mulberries?
Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

We eat the mulberries fresh and also make cobblers out of them.

Some of my apple and pear trees are 10 years old or so. On a semi dwarf tree you can start getting fruit in as soon as 3 years. On a full sized tree it may be 10 - 12 years for the first fruit. Getting the right varieties are important due to disease that affects apples and pears. I don't spray my trees, so my fruit is not supermarket quality in terms of looks, but tastes better than supermarket fruit. I also grow some fruit at my farm just for the wildlife.

Return to “Camp Dinner”