turkey vindaloo

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
WoodMoose

turkey vindaloo

Post by WoodMoose »

got some turkey thighs out of the freezer from a SC bird,,,,

bought some Vindaloo seasoning from Penzey's,,,,,,,my daughter and I like Indian food some and I wanted to give it a try at home,,,,,,,

1/2 cup Penzey’s Vindaloo seasoning (coriander, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, mustard, cayenne pepper, jalapeño, cardamom, tumeric, black pepper, cloves; the 4 oz bag will make 3 to 4 batches of vindaloo)
1 tsp (or more) ground cayenne pepper
1 cup water, divided
1/2 cup cider vinegar
about 4 tbsp grease, lard or vegetable oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 lb boned turkey thigh
2 (more or less) hot green chiles, finely chopped (fresh or frozen: include seeds for more heat, or reserve to adjust during cooking)
9 (more or less) dried red chiles, stemmed, with seeds or without
1 lb turnips or so, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Some use potatoes,,,same amount
1 cup chicken stock
salt, to taste
cooked rice, biscuits, whatever for serving
fresh cilantro, for garnish (if you do such stuff)

Using a fork, mix vindaloo seasoning and cayenne pepper with 1/2 cup water to form a paste.
Heat 3 tbsp grease or oil in a Dutch oven or medium stockpot over medium heat until shimmering. Sauté onions over low heat until softened and browned, about 20 – 30 minutes (the longer you caramelize the onions, the richer color & flavor you’ll add to your vindaloo sauce).
Transfer onions to the bowl of a food processor. Add vindaloo paste and cider vinegar; blend well, adding water to thin if necessary, until you achieve a uniform sauce.
brown the turnips (or potatoes) in a small amount of oil/grease.
Heat additional grease or oil in the Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cubed chicken (do not crowd the pot: do this in batches if necessary) and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is just browned, but not cooked through. Add fresh chiles and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes until softened. Add dry chiles and sauté for 1 minute. Add turnips, stock, remaining 1/2 cup water, and vindaloo sauce. Mix well and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to very low and simmer, covered, until the turnips are tender, about 30 – 45 minutes. Remove lid for the last 5 – 10 minutes of cooking if you need to thicken the sauce a bit (or add water to thin). Taste and adjust salt or spice. Serve hot over rice, garnished with fresh cilantro. Naan, yogurt, and sliced cucumbers are nice accompaniments that help to tame the heat.

it's spicy but good

appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: turkey vindaloo

Post by appalachianassassin »

looks good man. it always pleases me to see someone keep the thighs. :thumbup:
El Sicario
WoodMoose

Re: turkey vindaloo

Post by WoodMoose »

thanks

aggravates me when folks don't keep them (and legs) off of turkey, geese, etc,,,,,LOTS of meat in them parts,,,,,,

Return to “Camp Dinner”