Any Morels Yet??

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
madmike1977

Any Morels Yet??

Post by madmike1977 »

Was not sure where to post this :scratch: , so i stuck it here. I was just wondering if anyone is finding any morels yet? I know the primary goal is to fill our turkey tags but those tasty little fungi can make you lose focus on the goal. I checked in around some elm and ash today but it was really dry.
Gooserbat

Re: Any Morels Yet??

Post by Gooserbat »

I picked about a dozen today. All the small gray thimble caps but they tasted just fine.
Momma did you hear that gooserbat?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

We don't have them this far south of the fall line, but after the first good rains in June, we'll have chants in the turkey woods through September. Gil
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

none yet in east tn
El Sicario
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Around Mothers day around here.Occasionally find a few in mid April. Still dealing with hard frost in the mornings right now.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
snapper1982

Post by snapper1982 »

Gooserbat wrote:I picked about a dozen today. All the small gray thimble caps but they tasted just fine.
Let the small ones grow.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

snapper1982 wrote:
Gooserbat wrote:I picked about a dozen today. All the small gray thimble caps but they tasted just fine.
Let the small ones grow.
around here the greys don't get more than a 1 inch head on em.
El Sicario
JTown21

Post by JTown21 »

None here in northern Illinois, dealing with the same conditions as Red.
Not to hijack the thread but I'm always on the look out for Morels when walking the woods in spring. Any tips on finding them would be great. Where, when, ect. The properties I walk are Midwest woodlots with ag fields. I also walk larger woods that are more rolling with creek bottoms. Thanks all.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

JTown21 wrote:None here in northern Illinois, dealing with the same conditions as Red.
Not to hijack the thread but I'm always on the look out for Morels when walking the woods in spring. Any tips on finding them would be great. Where, when, ect. The properties I walk are Midwest woodlots with ag fields. I also walk larger woods that are more rolling with creek bottoms. Thanks all.
For blacks sandy soil, big tooth Aspen's and popple are my go toos.

For whites I always say your looking for a "hot piece of ash" and I typically go ash to ash. Best trees are dying elm when the bark is just starting to fall. I have found as many as 80 under one dying elm. If I see a dying elm along the road I get out and check.

Soil temp is important too I believe 55 is when they start to pop.

With all that being said there is no absolutes with morels. I have a white pine in the yard that produces a dozen every year. Out west they find them in the cottonwoods. Sometimes u find a new honey hole, go back next year nothing.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

madmike1977 wrote: I know the primary goal is to fill our turkey tags but those tasty little fungi can make you lose focus on the goal.
So true 2 years ago I was cutting along a small path to intercept a gobbling bird. I was slowly moving along when I looked down and saw a couple morels. I picked them then saw a few more and so on when suddenly the bird gobbled about 50 yards out and and it woke me out of my mushroom trance so to speak.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Don't overlook old orchards.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
snapper1982

Post by snapper1982 »

appalachianassassin wrote:
snapper1982 wrote:
Let the small ones grow.
around here the greys don't get more than a 1 inch head on em.
Doesnt matter where you are located a morel has a life cycle most will get bigger until they mature. Some alot bigger than others. As long as they dont start to dry out they will probably grow. I have watched greys grow from half inch to several inches in a day or two.

Return to “Camp Dinner”