dove

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

dove

Post by Turkinator »

We cook dove on the grill. Marinate the breasts overnight, then wrap with bacon and grill untill medium rare. Any other ways to cook dove to share?
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: dove

Post by OLE RASPY »

Don't have recipes but here are a few ways I've done and really you can't go wrong on any way cause they are good.
1. Battered breast and fried them and wrap cooked bacon around them after done frying
2. Put breast in large pan and add chicken broth,onions,butter and sprinkle seasoning you like on them.
I have been known to eat 50 or so dove breasts in a meal.
Haven't hunted doves in a few years now. Need to get back after it.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Fillet medallions off breast. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Salt, pepper and sear quickly leaving meat rare to medium rare inside. Don't overcook until done unless you like livery taste. This only takes a minute on each side due to the thinness of the medallion. No need to marinate or bacon wrap. If you like the taste of bacon, eat bacon unmasked with the flavor of dove. ;) This works on any small game bird. I like to disjoint leg/thigh combination from the back bone and cook the same way. The filleted breasts also store compactly in the freezer in vacuum freezer bags.
Treerooster

Post by Treerooster »

Creamed Doves

7 to 8 dove breasts filleted and sliced lengthwise into 3rds or 4ths
about 1/4 cup sliced onion
one 11 1/2oz can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp rosemary

Cook dove breasts & onions in pan with a little oil

When meat is done add remaining ingredients and simmer until sauce thickens

Serve over egg noodles

Serves 2 to 3 people depending on appetite...unless Ole Raspy is there.

I also make pot pies out of doves with peas, onions, and carrots or potatoes all in a good gravy surrounded by pie crust . Each pie is an individual serving. I make a bunch up and they are a great convenient meal. Freeze them and pop them in the oven for 1 hour to eat. Lot a work at one time tho.
allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

I'm excited about the upcoming season. I missed last year entirely since we'd just been in SC a little over 2 months. This year I'm ready.

We've fixed them several ways over the years. It's always good to hear how other folks cook them. I hope you'll keep the recipes coming.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Return to “Camp Dinner”