Another feast

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Another feast

Post by Johndoe »

Last week the boys went to gig some flounder. We added some bream and shrimp. Also some fried eggplant.
Let the drooling begin.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Another feast

Post by GLS »

John, that looks mouth watering. Been dosin' family on grease myself lately. Red beasts from the Ogeechee--nothing sweeter. Nothing better than fried shrimp, however. Those look great. Years ago a river rat showed me a trick on cleaning bream. Lightly scale along both sides of top and bottom fins and a line from where the head will be eventually cut emove enough scales to cut skin in a line with where head will be cut off and removed. With catfish pliers, hold head and pull skin from the topside corner down towards tail, one side at a time. Then pull out top and dorsal fins with complete fin bones with the skinning pliers. Fewer bones to pick through and batter sticks to exposed meat better than it does to skin. Skinning improves flavor, especially pond fish later in the summer. It takes a little longer, but the finished product is easier to eat. I make complete filets from the largest bream, not worrying with rib cage meat which isn't much.

For batter, I start with a cup of flour with some cornmeal tossed in. I add an equal amount of cold beer whisking and adding beer until not too thick. Dredge fillets and drop into hot peanut oil heated to 375 F. Rather than drain on paper towels or newspapers, I use the wire cookie cooling racks with .5" mesh that fit on top of cookie sheets. WallyWorld specials. I put newspaper under the racks to absorb drips and make cleanup easier. The fried pieces don't get soggy when drained on cookie cooling racks and salt and pepper while hot on the racks. The bubbles in the beer expand in the grease, making the fried batter light, puffy and crisp.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Yum yum!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Yeah. As a kid we only kept big bream and removed fins also before frying. Later only ones we could filet we kept. Now I don't bream fish at all so cleaning is up to them.
If you look at the pic. The fish comes out of grease and is stacked on end to drain better. Not quite like you talk about but better than just laid in a box. With your batter the wire should work perfect.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Looks good JD ! :thumbup:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

B&J's Seafood and Steaks in Darien, GA, a few miles off I-95 north of Brunswick has the best fried shrimp in the world. Locally caught whites and browns. A real hole in the wall, nothing fancy, but great fried shrimp. It always has a crowd. Gil
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Hard to beat cold water gills & crappies quick fried.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

The shrimp look great!
Momma said "kill that turkey"
jasonb53

Post by jasonb53 »

right around the corner and my invite still hasn't arrived yet....
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

What about last week. You got invited and didn't show. Too late for ya? Old Man!

What's up with that
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Return to “Camp Dinner”