Nuisance animal is delicious!

Redneck cuisine from the hunting camp.
jhogue

Nuisance animal is delicious!

Post by jhogue »

This has been a rather unsuccessful turkey season for me thus far. I did however kill my first wild hog on the first day of the Arkansas turkey season. I shot this 150-175# sow at 18 yards with my 1.75 ounce TSS load. Since it was the first hog I had ever killed, I cleaned and butchered it like a deer. I ended up losing the bacon, so not sure if there was enough to save anyway. We’ve cooked some of the hog three times as of tonight. I cooked pork butt first in a crock pot, then smoked one side of ribs, and tonight I pan fried some pork loin. Every meal has been as good or better than store bought pork. This hog was not near as fulfilling to kill as a Tom turkey, but definitely tastier and much more meat. I’m going to have to start finding a hog to kill every few months to fill the freezer. Very happy with this pig.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Nuisance animal is delicious!

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Congrats on you hog kill. I've never eaten it, but heard it's good stuff. Glad you enjoyed it.

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Yeah, it’s good stuff. I usually stick to the sows or smaller boars. When I kill bigger boars, I always give them away. This year, instead of deer sausage, I did wild pork. It was at least as good, if not better. I’ll continue to do that in the future and save my deer for roasts and ground meat.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Congrats! What size shot? Where did you hit her and did she flop? :D
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

Spuriosity wrote: May 11th, 2018, 10:46 am What size shot? Where did you hit her and did she flop? :D
This. That is a pretty good sized hog, need more details on the TSS performance!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I have heard wild hogs carry worms badly. Is there any way to make sure that your not gonna get worms from it?

Any pictures of the hog?

I shot one years ago while turkey hunting in TN.
It didn’t even slow down. Hevi13 #6’s

Good job and would love to know more myself on the tss info
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

deerhunt1988 wrote: May 12th, 2018, 2:06 pm
Spuriosity wrote: May 11th, 2018, 10:46 am What size shot? Where did you hit her and did she flop? :D
This. That is a pretty good sized hog, need more details on the TSS performance!
TSS 9’s, she went straight down and didn’t flop till I slit her throat. I paralyzed her with the shot in the neck, but she stayed alive for a while. She wasn’t going anywhere, but wasn’t dying quickly either. Knife took care of that fairly quickly as I didn’t want to waste another shot on her at such close range.

As far as the meat goes, I’ve heard the pig I got was about as big of one as you can kill and still get really good meat. The rumors are also that boars the same size or a little larger aren’t good. Anybody know why that is the case? Glad I got the one I got I guess.

I’m a slacker on posting pics here. I’ll transfer it to the computer and get one up. I only took one or two pics. She was red brown and all the rest of the group were black. There were some small boats in the group, but she was biggest of them.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Not sure about worms, but they can carry brucellosis...which can be transmitted to humans. I ALWAYS clean pigs with latex gloves on and cook to 160. I think 145 minimum is what is recommended to kill the bacteria. I’ve personally never seen a worm in a pig.
Bigger boars just seem to be a bit “gamey” to me. And they’re just nasty and stink. I kill enough that I can be pretty selective, so I “select” not to fool with em. Cleaning a 250+lb pig is no easy task. If I have a sow and a boar in the truck, I’m cleaning the sow. And I guess I’m just lazy when it comes to cleaning larger pigs. It’s a hassle. I like those 100 pounders and less.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

I only took two pics of this hog, and this is the better of the two. Second pics is one of the racks of ribs before I smoked it. I don't have a saw to cut the ribs, so we put them up and cooked them full length. I split the rack in the center to vacuum seal for the freezer. Ribs had plenty of meat to eat, but were substantially smaller than ribs you would buy at the store. They smoked in less than three hours.
Attachments
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Thanks for the info, and congrats again. Good riddance.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Cool pictures.. I can smell them ribs from here 😂
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Camp Dinner”