A slow start...

A general fishing discussion here.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

A slow start...

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Turned into a great finish. The bass bite was really slow this morning for dad and me. We had about 10, and I was ready to leave. Dad suggested we try a spot in the middle of the lake where we always throw our Christmas trees. We fished for another hour out there and ended up with 61 sac-a-lait and 19 bass. Unfortunately we didn't have any ultra light tackle, but the sacs seemed not to care. They wore out that red lipless crankbait.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A slow start...

Post by GLS »

Sac-a-lait? Looks like a coon ass (Thibideaux, Ribedeaux, etc.) crappie day to me. ;)
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

nice fishn trip !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
bigdoc

Post by bigdoc »

I bet your arms are tired from reeling all those in. Great fun.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dang, that is a nice mess fo sho!!! Rattletrap, or Cordell Spot?? Just found out the last few years, that Crappie would hit those things!!
Usually the Firetiger color though here in TN.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Congrats ! That's a great fishing trip ! :thumbup:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nice lookin' mess of fish!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Thanks guys!
Shooter wrote:Dang, that is a nice mess fo sho!!! Rattletrap, or Cordell Spot?? Just found out the last few years, that Crappie would hit those things!!
Usually the Firetiger color though here in TN.
I wanna say the bait is a Strike King, not sure though. I don't think it much mattered. I love fishing the tiny rattle traps on ultra light tackle, usually in a chrome and blue. Been hammering em on that one for years. Had we had them yesterday, we really woulda slaughtered em. I bet we missed more than we caught on that bigger bait. I'm gonna hafta try to find a small one in that red tiger stripe pattern. What you calling a Firetiger color? That's not what I was fishing?
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

GLS wrote:Sac-a-lait? Looks like a coon ass (Thibideaux, Ribedeaux, etc.) crappie day to me. ;)
Haha! Sorry Gil, that's just what everybody around here calls em. It's all I know! Can't bring myself to calling em crappie! But I'm about 60-70 miles north or east of being a coon ass. When Dad and I were in KS this spring, the little store we would stop at for coffee had a huge "crappie" mounted on the wall. I pointed him out to Dad and he asked the lady at the register "How much did that sac-a-lait weigh?". It was one of the more puzzled looks I've seen in quite a while. It took me a few seconds to figure out why she was so confused, and why she was looking as us like we were idiots. We were probably giving her the same look, and she probably was not a fisherman and I'd bet she never had heard that term in her life. At least that's what the look on her face said. I eventually got it figured out and corrected Dad and told the clerk what he was referring to. We all got a laugh out of it. He was 3.5lbs, by the way.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

WW, I first heard "sac-a-lait" many years ago on a 3-day pass from Fort Polk. I went sac-a-lait fishing on Toledo Bend and night-fished the still standing tree tops of the reservoir and caught the crappie out of them. ;) Gil
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I actually use the Red Eye Shad, it looks close to a Rattletrap. Firetiger is green and chartreuse, with black tiger stripes.
Comes in two sizes, and I usually use the smaller one for Crappie, but for some reason, I catch more on the larger one!! :dontknow:
Attachments
001.JPG
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Shooter wrote:I actually use the Red Eye Shad, it looks close to a Rattletrap. Firetiger is green and chartreuse, with black tiger stripes.
Comes in two sizes, and I usually use the smaller one for Crappie, but for some reason, I catch more on the larger one!! :dontknow:
Gotcha. Mine looks more like a tiger than yours though! I'll hafta pick up a couple next time I'm in town. If you haven't, you should try that tiny ratltrap sometime, we hammer em on that. I don't know, might not work for you. Worth a shot.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Nice looking mess of sacalait there wacker....gravel pit...?
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

KPcalls wrote:Nice looking mess of sacalait there wacker....gravel pit...?
Thank ya, sir! No, they came out of a lake on the place I hunt, which is less than 5 minutes from my house. It's about 12-13 acres, and was built back in the 60's. It's full of bass and sacs. My wife says she's burnt out on fish, but I can't stop going! It's just getting good!
I've fished gravel pits a bunch of times with friends and have always been successful.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Speaking of close to your house....I left work in St. Gabriel one morning heading to Centreville Ms, to turkey hunt and got hit with a very bright light in the face on Hwy. 19....one of those #%$^*@%$ road side radar contraptions....still waiting for my ticket in the mail.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

KPcalls wrote:Speaking of close to your house....I left work in St. Gabriel one morning heading to Centreville Ms, to turkey hunt and got hit with a very bright light in the face on Hwy. 19....one of those #%$^*@%$ road side radar contraptions....still waiting for my ticket in the mail.
Dang man, I hate those things. They've taken my pic twice, but I've yet to get a ticket in the mail. They were both over a year ago. Maybe you'll luck up like me. You ever hunt any public up there? I usually start my season either north of Centerville or up around Crosby, then take a break and fill my LA tags....then back to fighting those hills to finish my spring. I usually don't come away with more than a bird or two, never limited, but it allows me to greatly extend my season. I'm always looking for someone to go during the week if you're ever interested. My dad used to go a good bit with me since he retired, but he gave up hard headed birds and big hills about two seasons ago. He's happy as he can be, finishing in LA, and then going fishing.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Shooter wrote:I actually use the Red Eye Shad, it looks close to a Rattletrap. Firetiger is green and chartreuse, with black tiger stripes.
MY buddy has that top Red Eye Shad tattoed on his forearm.. :slap:

Return to “Fishing”