Illinois Bird # 2

Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Illinois Bird # 2

Post by Grover »

April 17, 2012, second season Illinois, just flew back in from Florida and I have only one day to do this before having to go back to work. I got to my hunting area at about 6:00 AM. I heard a few gobbles at daylight but they all were several hundred yards away. I couldn’t move on them because the area that I hunt so I had to call one of them to me. I am in a very good strut area so not moving isn’t really that big of a deal. I could hear hens talking to the east of me then had a red head show up across the corner of the field at about 35 yards. I couldn’t see his beard and definitely didn’t want to shoot a Jake so I held off hoping he would walk out, instead he turned around and headed back into the woods where he came from. As he turned I saw a pretty good beard, DANG! I let one walk, which would turn out to be the best thing I could have done. About a half hour later I could hear hens all around me purring, one of them came out into the field behind me and at about 12 yards starting yelping and cutting like crazy, she was giving my DSD hen decoy a scolding she was as raspy as I’ve ever heard. She was so vocal I was thinking ok baby doll you keep it up and big boy will be along soon. She stayed within 15 yards of me for 30 minutes just doing it all, cutting, yelping, clucking and purring. I remember thinking girl you suck at purring, you sound just like me. Eventually she walked off at about 8:15. Then about 8:30 I heard a gobble from about 300 yards east of me so I responded with some loud yelps from my mouth call, he answered me with another good gobble. YEA BABY!! over the next 45 minutes we traded yelps and cutting for gobbles as he got closer, I cut probably 15 times with my mouth call and the aluminum travel call hosted be Dave Conklin (just1more) and he responded every time, he made a complete circle around me at about 60 yards just out of sight in the thick stuff. He spun me around completely as I kept turning to face him just in case he made a beeline to me through the thick stuff. He made his last gobble as he entered the field at about 40 yards. I got on my knees and got my gun up on my shooting stick and waited, I was between him and my decoy, then I heard that wonderful sound PHIT Dmmmmmm, PHIT Dmmmmm, PHIT Dmmmmmmm. 3 TIMES!!! I then saw him floating towards me and my decoy, his tail fan had the two middle feathers broken off, and at about 12 yards, I WAS NOT GOING TO MISS AGAIN I busted him as he poked his head up just enough. This bird was a fighter, he had cuts and feathers torn up all over his body, he had a couple wing feathers busted off. I’ve killed bigger birds but this one was definitely one of the enforcers of the flock. 19 lbs-4 oz, 9-1/4” beard and 1-1/8” spurs. Now back to work.
"INFIDEL"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Illinois Bird # 2

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats on the nice gobbler. Great story, Nice picture..Well done..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Illinois Bird # 2

Post by Turkey Talker »

GREAT JOB!

Return to “Skull Busters”