40 or 9

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

40 or 9

Post by guesswho »

I don't mess with many handguns but I'm thinking about buying another just because! I'm not going to spend a lot of money on it and wanted some opinions. I've found a couple places that has a Sig P250 combo for $600. Comes with a holster molded for the gun and a light/strobe/laser mounted on the gun. It's available in a 9mm or a 40 cal. Does one offer and advantages over the other. Also for the money would there be any better choices. I did like the feel of the Sig but I'm not opposed to looking at other options.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

My favorite handgun is the smith and wesson m&p 40.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 40 or 9

Post by GLS »

I've yet to meet a person who would volunteer to stand down range and be shot at with any gun. <g>
But if forced to choose between a 9 mm and a 40 S&W to be shot at down range, I'd pick the 9 mm, fps the same. Why?
9 mm may expand, but a 40 won't shrink. But here's another man's opinion who prefers the 9 mm:
http://shootersdigest.blogspot.com/2012 ... -40-s.html I have a 9mm and a couple of .380's, all are pocket pistols for dog walking.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Xd9 is what I have. Loaded properly, it is all you need. Ammo availablity was my main motivation.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I have a beretta 9mm, and I haven't had any issues with it, for the purposes I use it for(self defense, early bow season,shooting). Very accurate, and I have actually killed a few hogs with it. But I will say this much, the next pistol I buy will be a 40cal. The 40's I've seen now days are way more compact and not as big as my 9mm, and that makes a difference when carrying it. I don't think either one will be a bad choice.
Pass the biscuits!!
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I still have an old Glock 10mm subcompact that I love. My next will probably be a 1911 variant.

I'd let the availability and price of ammo guide my decision if I planned on shooting a lot.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

My concealed carry weapon is a ruger single stack 9. I also keep a beretta 9 in the truck. I'm not a pistol guy, but I think a 9mm is plenty sufficient for my needs. I rarely shoot pistols, but when I do, ammo seems to be readily available. 40 or a 9 would be fine with me, flip a coin. Both of those pistols were given to me as gifts, but If I had to pick, I'd probably decide based upon ammo prices and availability in my area.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I really don't know if there is a definitive answer to the 9mm or .40 question. Obviously, the bigger hole you put in something the better, but there are variances in the this theory. The 9 will hold one or two more rounds than the .40. It will recoil less. It will probably be easier to get back on target with less recoil. But, bigger is sometimes better. I own them all, and generally carry a 9 for CCW. Easier to conceal, more rounds and am totally confident that it will take down anything that I shoot with it. The 9 has come a long way with the ammo that is offered today. You can go from 115-147 grains with standard, +P, and +P+ loads. The 9 is slightly cheaper to target practice with, as well. As far as ammo availability, 9 was always easy to find, until the big meltdown a year and a half ago. Everybody has a 9 and all were buying as soon as they found some. The .40 was an easier score because there are fewer of them out there.
Have you considered Glock? They are relatively inexpensive and are bullet proof. The Sig 250 has a very limited following amongst Sig gurus. I do not own one,(I have a 226 in 9mm, a 229 in .40 and a 220 in .45ACP with Crimson trace laser grips), but I am on the Sig Forum everyday.
Good luck with your decision and get a hold of me if you like.

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The reason you see so many Glocks is for good cause. They are pretty much fool proof. I don't own one, never have, but if I didn't have what I already own, Kahrs and a LCP Ruger, I wouid buy a Glock (and I have had several 1911s.)
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

deleted
Last edited by guesswho on July 1st, 2014, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double Naught Spy!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I'm leaning towards a P2022, 40 cal. I looked at a lot of hand guns in the price range I'm looking at and I narrowed it down to a Sig or a Glock. The Sig had more of a "my gun" feel for my hands. But I have been known to change my mind a time or twelve.
Double Naught Spy!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

The P2022 is an awesome pistol. It will not disappoint you. If I was you, I would stay clear of the 250. Sig or Glock are great choices. 9mm or .40 are great choices.
I own a 23 and a 35 in Glock. both are .40. The 23 is a compact and the 35 is a full size.
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

I have a smith tactical 9 and I wish it was a 40!
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Don't forget to look at Springfield xd or xdm pistols. I'm partial to the 40cal myself, but then I reload for it. It packs more of a punch than the 9's.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

My work gun is a Sig .357, it's basically a necked down 40. All of th VA State Police carry Sig 229. They have been a tremendous gun for us. I have an off duty Glock model 33 which is also a .357. You can't go wrong with either gun, but go for the 40 cal in whatever you choose hands down!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

40 or 9

Post by Reloader »

I'd go 9 for many reasons. Mainly due to the cost of ammo and the ease of finding it. Second being more capacity. Next up is less recoil, which makes it much more easy to shoot and shoot accurately. When it comes to a defense standpoint, I personally don't see a huge advantage as both are adequate in terms of penetration. There's always debates between the two, but +p 9 defense ammo is going to do anything the other will. If you really want to separate the diff, you have to step to 10mil or 45.

I'm running a XDMc 9, Kahr cm9, and Keltec pf9 currently. Had a berretta 40 and sold it.

Try to find a range that will let you shoot diff guns if you can. Everyone has there own favorites, but its best you get what feels right to you. While I like my XD pistols, Kahr feels a bit better to me personally. Not much of an MP or Block fan, though many rave on them. Sig isn't a bad gun, I've shot and tinkered with several. They just don't look or feel on par with XD and Kahr for me.

Good luck with whatever you get, there's alot of good ones out these days.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Camo man, y'all haven't jumped on the flock band wagon yet? I've got several friends in law enforcement and over the past few years everyone(state, county, and city) has switched over to the glock 40cal.
Pass the biscuits!!
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Nope, still using the Sigs. I thought they would have given us an upgrade by now, but they are working great so far.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Love my Kahr P9. Easy to conceal, great ergonomics. Very accurate and easy to control. Damn sure wouldn't want to be shot by it. As far as caliber choice, a lot depends on your tolerance to recoil. No doubt the .40 has more punch than the 9, but it also has more recoil and muzzle blast.
ccleroy

40 or 9

Post by ccleroy »

Get the 9, cheaper and readily to find ammo.......I carry a G26 now but am about to pick up a S&W M&P 9 to add
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I have a Kahr PM9 and love it. It is accurate, extremely small, and easily pocket carried. I am not crazy about the trigger. It is smooth as melted butter, but the pull is way too long for me. I believe a guy could carry a PM9/Cm9 in a swimsuit and not print..
So many choices!! :dontknow:
During the big ammo crunch, .357 Sig's were non-existent. They are not as easy to come by now and command about twice what 9mm sells for.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

I would get a Kar 9
toasty

Post by toasty »

guesswho wrote:I don't mess with many handguns but I'm thinking about buying another just because! I'm not going to spend a lot of money on it and wanted some opinions. I've found a couple places that has a Sig P250 combo for $600. Comes with a holster molded for the gun and a light/strobe/laser mounted on the gun. It's available in a 9mm or a 40 cal. Does one offer and advantages over the other. Also for the money would there be any better choices. I did like the feel of the Sig but I'm not opposed to looking at other options.
I like the feel, weight, and balance of the P250, but that long trigger pull is just awful compared to other guns. If you get that gun, you're going to want to budget a little for a trigger job IMO. There are several guns in that price range that have better triggers. Try several and decide which one fits you the best. For me the XD9 just fit like a glove, sold a glock that didn't fit as well. I also don't like subcompact, compact is as small as I will go with a 9mm or .40, there is too much recoil to get back on target and be accurate. With the +P bullets now, the 9mm has nearly the same performance as the standard .40. You may want to consider the CZ 9mm guns, the P07 is also a nice option that will only run mid $400.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I went with the SP2022 in 40 cal. I think I'm going to like it for what I wanted one for. I guess if I decide I don't like it, I can always sell or trade it for something else.
Double Naught Spy!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Good move, Ronnie. You will like it.

Return to “Gun Talk”