Benelli Supernova Pump

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Benelli Supernova Pump

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Any opinion on these? I've a buddy looking for a pump that doesn't break the bank that he'll mostly use for wingshooting and not a whole lot of that. He's looking at the Benelli with a 28" barrel. He'll likely use it for pheasant with me for a few days in the fall.

I have 870s but I've had them a while and they are dedicated turkey guns mostly with shorter barrels. I prefer longer barrels for wingshooting so shoot a 28" 1187.

Any other suggestions?
dsunday

Re: Benelli Supernova Pump

Post by dsunday »

Very durable.

Expensive replacement barrels, lots of plastic and a clunky action.

Nothing real bad, just not going to wow you in the looks department
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

dsunday wrote: July 7th, 2021, 4:04 pm Very durable.

Expensive replacement barrels, lots of plastic and a clunky action.

Nothing real bad, just not going to wow you in the looks department
That's no joke on the looks. I just didn't want to say, "Don't buy it, it's ugly.". :)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

They are crude but very effective. I've got 2 of them in 12ga. Zero issues. As stated above, the forearms have a clunk to them. Easy to find chokes for and they do pattern nicely.
They are fairly inexpensive and built to last!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

How does the Winchester, Mossberg, Stoeger, etc compare?

I used to think highly of Remington but mine are older (30 years and 20 years). Mossbergs always felt cheap, but I knew a lot of guys that loved them. I've not put my hands on many Winchester's. I've handled a Stoeger auto but never used one. I'm assuming that Franchi and Beretta have pumps. I think the Browning pump is a good one but that's more than he'll want to spend.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Stoeger is good. You can find used ones decently priced
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I personally would not buy anything Remington unless it was an older model. Mossbergs never did impress me. I had a few older Winchesters in 1200 and 1300 that were good. Short LOP for me, though.
If you buddy is just going to shoot an occasional pheasant, most anything that trips his trigger is going to be good.
I'm a Benelli fan so that's the route I would take.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
MFL205

Post by MFL205 »

I read a quote somewhere that said, "More (insert animal name) have been killed by a Remington 870 than any other gun". If I was looking for an inexpensive pump shotgun, I would start and finish with an 870.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Is a Browning BPS out of his price range? They are my pump gun of choice. The Inventor plus system patterns really well.

Ithaca would be my second choice, but these days the price on them has started to get steep for a pump gun.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

jsh909 wrote: July 8th, 2021, 6:01 pm Is a Browning BPS out of his price range? They are my pump gun of choice. The Inventor plus system patterns really well.

Ithaca would be my second choice, but these days the price on them has started to get steep for a pump gun.
He's probably at the very top with the Benelli. I do like the BPS but I think that extra couple hundred takes it out of the running.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: July 8th, 2021, 7:38 pm
jsh909 wrote: July 8th, 2021, 6:01 pm Is a Browning BPS out of his price range? They are my pump gun of choice. The Inventor plus system patterns really well.

He's probably at the very top with the Benelli. I do like the BPS but I think that extra couple hundred takes it out of the running.
Understandable, they are a bit high for a pump gun. I like that they are ambidextrous as I shoot both sides.

Two of the guys I waterfowl hunt with use Novas for all waterfowl, birds, turkey and do all workhorse guns and love them. They are a bit clunky but point and shoot really well. I don't think he will be disappointed in one. I would have no problem using or recommending one.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

jsh909 wrote: July 10th, 2021, 6:52 am
Hobbes_mobile wrote: July 8th, 2021, 7:38 pm

Understandable, they are a bit high for a pump gun. I like that they are ambidextrous as I shoot both sides.

Two of the guys I waterfowl hunt with use Novas for all waterfowl, birds, turkey and do all workhorse guns and love them. They are a bit clunky but point and shoot really well. I don't think he will be disappointed in one. I would have no problem using or recommending one.
I had a buddy that shot a BPS when I was in highschool, so 35 years ago. I'm guessing that he still has it but he doesn't hunt much anymore. My dad had one 10 gauge that he killed quite a few turkeys with around 25 to 30 years ago but he gave up carrying that beast. It was still a nice gun even if it was a cannon.

If Eric draws an antelope tag here,I know he'll be pheasant hunting with me. He'll bring whatever he decides on to hunt pheasants. Both antelope and pheasants share the same opener.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Good luck to both of you, hopefully this both get an antelope.

Return to “Gun Talk”