Looking for suggestions on new gun....

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
sdorton

Looking for suggestions on new gun....

Post by sdorton »

And I'd like to have your opinion. I have 4 choices I'll be looking at.
Benelli Montefeltro
Benelli M2
Benelli SBE 3
Franchi Affinity

I'm wanting a 20 gauge and will be using it for turkey, occasionally rabbit/squirrel...but mostly turkey. I will probably cut barrel to 24", drilling and tapping, and adding a FF3 optic. I haven't bought a new shotgun in 10+ yrs and I've got an itch that needs scratched. 8-)
huntinsomd

Re: Looking for suggestions on new gun....

Post by huntinsomd »

All of the listed guns are nice. I've owned them all in one configuration or another and without a doubt my choice would be a M2! Most guys who own them would probably agree that a M2 is the best all around 20ga available.
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

A couple of them come in a 24in configuration, which would save you having to cut it down
KyKRAZEE

Post by KyKRAZEE »

In wanting a 20 gauge the SBE 3 is out right off the bat cuz it only comes in 12 gauge. Not really gonna go wrong with any of those choices but if you're wanting a 24" bbl. it's probably better to buy it that way rather than get it cut off due to the fact that I've been told by multiple sources you can't go back with the factory thread style...(I believe the 2 I was told were Tru-choke or Rem-choke, and the thickness of the metal would have to be just right for Rem-choke) anyways the Montefeltro comes in 24" bbl.
but only with nice wood ( unless you wanted wood stock) also not sure if it's drilled & tapped ...so that leaves the Franchi which the only 24" bbl. they have is a youth stock ( but comes with spacers to extendthe LOP ) it's already drilled & tapped. Then we come to the M2 which if you have enough of a fingernail ( $$$ ) to scratch that itch this is the one I'd go with as it comes in 24" bbl. and already drilled & tapped. Anyways....happy huntin!!! BTW Whittaker guns 270-229-0140 might be the best price for you to look. I'd call cuz the website sucks.
BIG BLUE NATION FOREVER
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

Benelli M2 compact model with 24" barrel and you can add a thicker recoil pad to increase the length of pull if desired. Montefeltro is nice, but the M2 is nicer (better choke system, barrels and recoil reduction). The M2 is more compact by design than the Franchi (shorter forearm) and is a bit lighter. All 3 are nice guns so you can't go wrong with either!
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

M2
va longbeard

Post by va longbeard »

I just built a performance center knockoff M2 20 gauge compact 24 inch and of the 10 turkey guns I own it is by far my favorite. It is very light, patterns well, handles like a dream and is solidly built. I like it so much I am thinking of building another one.
Attachments
m2 new.jpg
teke59

Post by teke59 »

I have a M2 20 gauge compact. love it. Tried to order a replacement pad to extend my lop from benelli and was told no replacement pads for the 20 gauge compact. Is there another pop in pad option ? I ended up putting a slip on limbsaver on mine but would have prefered a pop in. Any suggestions fellows ?
sdorton

Post by sdorton »

Thanks for the replies fellas.....I've narrowed it down the M2 Compact and the Affinity 3 Compact. I just want to get my hands on both at the same time before I make my final decision.
huntinsomd

Post by huntinsomd »

IMG_1307 (1).jpg
Here's a photo of my standard size Franchi and M2 26" barrel guns for comparison. Even though the guns are close in length the shorter forearm and lighter weight of the M2 is nice!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

That compact M2 is one I would like to feel. I bet it would fit me perfect for turkey
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hardtime_NC

Post by Hardtime_NC »

The affinity 3 comes drilled and tapped unlike the M2.
va longbeard

Post by va longbeard »

hoobilly wrote: April 9th, 2020, 9:35 am That compact M2 is one I would like to feel. I bet it would fit me perfect for turkey
I am biased but I think its the best 20 gauge turkey semi auto out there its definitely perfect for me.

Return to “Gun Talk”