Remington 700 SPS

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Remington 700 SPS

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I've had a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm Rem Mag since about 2008. I've killed several cow elk with it and a couple mule deer bucks, my kids have killed several deer and a cow elk, my wife has killed a cow elk with it and my dad has killed a cow elk with it. We've shot all of them with 175 grain Remington Core Lokt bullets. The trigger hasn't been terrible like the Remington 308 I bought the kids in 2012, but it's still a standard factory trigger. The scope, a Bausch & Lomb Elite 6-24x, is more than I need, but it was sitting in a drawer when the rifle was purchased. The scope has withstood some pretty tough falls that I've taken in the snowy icy mountains, so it must be a pretty good one, but it's heavy and big.

I've never been a long range guy, coming from a state where we hunted deer with slug guns. Even then I mostly hunted with a bow. However, Ive decided to try to improve mine and the gun's accuracy at least a little. I've dropped in a Timney trigger within the last week and have decided to change out the stock (without breaking the bank) and ordered a Stocky's stock with their Accublock. I'm also considering a Leupold VX3i 2.5-10x40. it's quite a bit lighter than my current scope but still all the magnification that I need. I really need to lose the beast of a tripod if I want to lose weight, but it sure is nice for shooting from a seated position over sage brush. I'm thinking of keeping it on for deer and antelope and removing it for elk.

I'm not into handloading so I'm thinking to try out some Federal Premium ammo in a 160 grain Nosler Partition. The lighter weight should shoot a little flatter and I want to stick with a proven big game bullet.

I still don't plan to really get into the long range game but would like to see some improvement.

Any suggestions from you guys familiar with centerfire rifles?
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Remington 700 SPS

Post by pullit »

A 140 gr bullet will kill the heck out of antelope and mule deer and make it a lot flatter shooting. You can loose BC going to a lighter bullet but if you keep your shots inside of 400 yards, the difference will be small.
The bullets your talking about hunting with anyway are not high BC bullets to start with.
I will admit that I have only killed one elk (a 6x6) at 440 yards with a 7mm Mag. so my sample size is small but I did it with a 160 gr Nosler Partition and it was dead right there.
I feel bullet placement is more important than which bullet you choose as long as you are using a good bullet to start with (i.e. don't use a light jacket bullet on big heavy game).
Congrats on all your success with the 7mm, They are a great all around cal. and a 700 is easy to get to shoot very well.
Like any factory ammo/rifle combo, when you find what it likes, buy several boxes of that ammo in the same lot number.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Remington 700 SPS

Post by davisd9 »

Federal loads a 165 gr gameking that is a great bullet. Be hard to beat a Barnes bullet regardless. A good pack makes a great shooting rest if you carry one and drop the tripod.

Return to “Gun Talk”