Long range shooting..

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
youngoutdoors

Re: Long range shooting..

Post by youngoutdoors »

We have two benches here on the farm. First bench is in the rear of the shop and we can shoot 500 yds from it. Then you can go back to a second bench on the far end of the farm and shoot 1000 yds. We could probably get 1200 yds but I run outa clicks just a little past 1000 so never have set up further. Its fun to have buddies over that have never shot past a 100 yds or so and let em shoot on out there. It is doable with good equipment. FIrst must have an accurate rifle. And the best scope you can afford helps. Reloading is almost a must.

God Bless, Louis

PS camoman is scaring me! HA
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

youngoutdoors wrote: August 19th, 2019, 10:33 pm We have two benches here on the farm. First bench is in the rear of the shop and we can shoot 500 yds from it. Then you can go back to a second bench on the far end of the farm and shoot 1000 yds. We could probably get 1200 yds but I run outa clicks just a little past 1000 so never have set up further. Its fun to have buddies over that have never shot past a 100 yds or so and let em shoot on out there. It is doable with good equipment. FIrst must have an accurate rifle. And the best scope you can afford helps. Reloading is almost a must.

God Bless, Louis

PS camoman is scaring me! HA
Camoman scares everybody :lol:

Wish I had a dedicated 1000 yard bench we've been shooting off or out of a flat bed out in the field. 700-800 yards is about all we can do right now. Crops didn't get planted. once picked we can shoot a really long ways.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Magdump

Post by Magdump »

hoobilly wrote: August 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm What’s the furthest you have shot and with what rifle etc?
I did a 3 day long range rifle class at Storm Mountain Training Center in WV because i didn’t know much about the topic. Learned a LOT over those 3 days! For the final exam, to pass the class, they had us shoot all the way out to 800 yards.

The rig:

GAP Gladius in .308.

Vortex Razor GII 4.5-27X56

Surefire FA762K suppressor

Federal GMM 175 grain
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Magdump wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 6:27 pm
hoobilly wrote: August 10th, 2019, 3:48 pm What’s the furthest you have shot and with what rifle etc?
I did a 3 day long range rifle class at Storm Mountain Training Center in WV because i didn’t know much about the topic. Learned a LOT over those 3 days! For the final exam, to pass the class, they had us shoot all the way out to 800 yards.

The rig:

GAP Gladius in .308.

Vortex Razor GII 4.5-27X56

Surefire FA762K suppressor

Federal GMM 175 grain
I hope to own a few suppressors
can't be beat for shooting. couldn't believe how good Shooters rifles are with suppressors

youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Does the suppressors effect the accuracy at all?

Didn't really answer the first question. 1000 yds is as far as I have ever shot. Most of my center fire rifles are zeroed at 300 yds though. Bout all I shoot lately is a 204 and a 300 RUM that I built. Besides rimfire. Go through a fair amount of 22 and HMR.

God Bless, Louis
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

youngoutdoors wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 5:50 pm Does the suppressors effect the accuracy at all?

Didn't really answer the first question. 1000 yds is as far as I have ever shot. Most of my center fire rifles are zeroed at 300 yds though. Bout all I shoot lately is a 204 and a 300 RUM that I built. Besides rimfire. Go through a fair amount of 22 and HMR.

God Bless, Louis
Not at all! They can change point of impact

youngoutdoors

Post by youngoutdoors »

Thanks hoobilly, I can handle point of impact changes but not accuracy loss. I am wanting one now.

God Bless, Louis

Return to “Gun Talk”