Hammer Extension for 301T?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
bullethead

Hammer Extension for 301T?

Post by bullethead »

Does anyone know which Hammer Extension fits the hammer on the Stevens 301T?
Tungsten tinkerer from way back.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Hammer Extension for 301T?

Post by GLS »

Beware of hammer extensions. if you mount one, test fire multiple low cost rounds to make sure it doesn't slow the hammer speed below consistent percussion of the primer. I've seen problems when I mounted an extension on my TC years ago. Gil
Last edited by GLS on July 25th, 2019, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

GLS wrote: July 25th, 2019, 7:54 am Beware of hammer extensions. if you mount one, test fire multiple low cost rounds to make sure it does slow the hammer speed below consistent percussion of the primer. I've seen problems when I mounted an extension on my TC years ago. Gil
Yes, absolutely.
I had witnessed it first hand with my Ultra Slug Hunter and some hard Remington primers.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Use anybody’s with metal thick enough to drill and tap through BOTH the hammer extension and the hammer itself. Thread both with a tap and then install a set screw through both with blue Thread-locker. Done. Mount the set screw vertically through the pieces so that movement is impossible (without shearing the set screw).

Take to range and test fire. There is a slight chance you may need a stronger hammer spring to throw the increased weight and the increased lock time. Wolff Springs will have any spring you need (if even needed).
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: July 25th, 2019, 12:12 pm Use anybody’s with metal thick enough to drill and tap through BOTH the hammer extension and the hammer itself. Thread both with a tap and then install a set screw through both with blue Thread-locker. Done. Mount the set screw vertically through the pieces so that movement is impossible (without shearing the set screw).

Take to range and test fire. There is a slight chance you may need a stronger hammer spring to throw the increased weight and the increased lock time. Wolff Springs will have any spring you need (if even needed).
Sloppy has spoken :ugeek:

and thank you also GLS

I have a hammer extension somewhere in a drawer. came with a Winchester 9422Mag

Ill look for it
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
bullethead

Post by bullethead »

I know the hammer dimensions vary greatly between the manufacturers and models.
I am wondering if anyone is using an extension on their 301T and which one it is if so.
The 301T hammer is not as thick or as broad as some of the other hammer guns I have and the extensions on those are not even close to fitting acceptably on the 301T
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Send me hammer dimensions Matt. Width and thickness at the point where you want the extension mounted. I can probably make one without to much issue in our machine/fabrication shop here at work.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters

Return to “Gun Talk”