Browning TSS vs. Federal TSS

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
FLGobstopper

Post by FLGobstopper »

I was given a $50 gift card to Bass Pro and happened to drive by the other day. Couldn't find anything that interested me in the store or online. So, figured hey free money I'll gamble a little and play and I walked out with 2 boxes of .410 TSS (1 Browning /1 [youtube][/youtube]Federal). Gonna shoot them out of a Yildiz enhanced by Dr. William at Sumtoy. We'll see how they compare to my handloads.

I'm really curious about the Browning. Anyone shot any of those and done any comparisons?
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

I shot the Browning once in a Stevens 301 Compact with 22” barrel and a SumToy .388 choke. I plan to test more on Saturday but very happy with my initial result. I was originally going with Federal but read reviews of 15-20 pellets staying in wad, if it was 20 or 12 I would not care but believe in getting all I can in the .410. There were three pellets in the wad after shot, but I can live with that. Will update and please share what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joey46

Re: Browning TSS vs. Federal TSS

Post by joey46 »

Good info. Think I read Winchester loads the shells for Browning. I have a box of Browning 7/9 TSS on the way to compare with the Federal. Both 12ga. That is an impressive .410 pattern.
Ultramag

Post by Ultramag »

Not sure about 410 but 20 gauge brownings shot very well.
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Just received the Browning. Crimp appears identical to WW HV. We'll see.
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Shot the Brownings and the Federals the other day out of a Mossberg 24" Factory Full 500. The Brownings put 90 in the 10, the Federals put 32 in the 10". Very disappointed in the Federals as one of the shells had its over shot card messed up and buffer was loose inside the box. Federal sent a UPS driver to pick them up but after coming to my house 3 times while I was at work I said heck with it and shot the remaining shells at pattern board.

Ridge Rooster
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Casey Napier wrote: March 13th, 2019, 6:24 am Shot the Brownings and the Federals the other day out of a Mossberg 24" Factory Full 500. The Brownings put 90 in the 10, the Federals put 32 in the 10". Very disappointed in the Federals as one of the shells had its over shot card messed up and buffer was loose inside the box. Federal sent a UPS driver to pick them up but after coming to my house 3 times while I was at work I said heck with it and shot the remaining shells at pattern board.

Ridge Rooster
BigSpurs68 also had a couple open with buffer and shot laying in the box. He also emailed them and they were to pick it up.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Casey Napier

Post by Casey Napier »

Sent an email and got a response that they would just send me a new box but before getting the email I called their customer service and he said that they were going to send UPS to pick up the box. They tried 3 times so far but came when I was at work so I just gave up and shot a couple. Probably want be buying any more.

Ridge Rooster
duurmeehr

Post by duurmeehr »

Funny how different guns do different things.

The Federals put up 132 at 40 yards and 1075 fps and the Browning put up 100 at 40 yards and 1145 fps in my gun!
wandering wayne

Post by wandering wayne »

I bought a box of Federal TSS #9 and set up a target at a measured 60 yards. A Winchester SXP 12 gauge and a Trulock TSS Turkey .650 made for #7 shot put 121 in a 10" circle. It was a very good pattern. A dead turkey. I had taped a Birchwood Reactive Turkey Target on the 36" paper and there were 16 pellets in the kill zone. By moving the pattern around there would have been fewer in most places, but a turkey in the 10" or in most of the 20" would have been dead.

I aimed at the head and probably had about 3" to 4" of drop."

I tried one more at 70 yards, same choke. There were 86 in the ten and pretty evenly spaced. There was a little wiggle room for a turkeys neck bones and little brain to avoid collision with some tungsten if it hit just perfect (or unperfect). Most probably it would be a dead turkey every time, but I'm not completely confident as I am at 60 yards.

My POA was over top of the head. Probably this one had 6" of drop. It's hard to tell so that's a guess, but I did aim high. I seems it dropped quite a bit in that last 10 yards. Some of those two shots were probably operator error. Both were lined up pretty well vertically. This is only one shot at each distance though.

I have some of the older Federal Heavyweight in #7 that didn't patterned great. I was a little disappointed, as I had bought some boxes on sale as they were being discontinued. Still at up to 45, maybe 50 yards they should do the job and that's a pretty long shot. I need some more testing for those.

The trouble is, now I'm sold on the #9 TSS.
Last edited by wandering wayne on July 23rd, 2019, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
wandering wayne

Post by wandering wayne »

I bought a box of Federal TSS #9 and set up a target at a measured 60 yards. A Winchester SXP 12 gauge and a Trulock TSS Turkey .650 made for #7 shot put 121 in a 10" circle. It was a very good pattern. A dead turkey. I had taped a Birchwood Reactive Turkey Target on the 36" paper and there were 16 pellets in the kill zone. By moving the pattern around there would have been fewer in most places, but a turkey in the 10" or in most of the 20" would have been dead.

I aimed at the head and probably had about 3" to 4" of drop."

I tried one more at 70 yards, same choke. There were 86 in the ten and pretty evenly spaced. There was a little wiggle room for a turkeys neck bones and little brain to avoid collision with some tungsten if it hit just perfect (or unperfect). Most probably it would be a dead turkey every time, but I'm not as completely confident as I am at 60 yards.

My POA was over top of the head. Probably this one had 6" of drop. It's hard to tell so that's a guess, but I did aim high. I seems it dropped quite a bit in that last 10 yards??? This is only one shot at each distance though.

I have some of the older Federal Heavyweight in #7 that didn't patterned great. I was a little disappointed, as I had bought some boxes on sale as they were being discontinued. Still at up to 45, maybe 50 yards they should do the job and that's a pretty long shot. I need to do some more testing.

The trouble is, now I'm sold on the #9 TSS.

Return to “Gun Talk”