12 Gauge Muzzleloading Pistol

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
SwampDrummin

12 Gauge Muzzleloading Pistol

Post by SwampDrummin »

Anyone know if it would be legal/possible to choke one of these, put half an ounce of 500 count #10 tss and call it a 30/40 yard gun?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/diab ... V0d4m2e75w

New muzzleloading 12 gauge double barrel pistols
SwampDrummin

Re: 12 Gauge Muzzleloading Pistol

Post by SwampDrummin »

Come on, We’ve all had the dream. I believe I looked into before and more or less it was illegal because everything out there on the market had to have a rifled barrel so no chance of incorporating the choke needed.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

SwampDrummin wrote: February 15th, 2019, 3:58 pm Come on, We’ve all had the dream. I believe I looked into before and more or less it was illegal because everything out there on the market had to have a rifled barrel so no chance of incorporating the choke needed.
I’m kinda talking to myself right now but manufacturer fired back a phone call a few minutes after I called. Didnt know if it could be fitted with choke, I would have to talk to gunsmith. It’s a cylindrical bore but he said pattern held up suprisingly well, at 8-10 feet it is an inch and half. He couldn’t tell me velocities off hand but he said there was rooom to bump up ounces.

He commented he had thought there would be a turkey hunting application, that was before I informed him about the magic of TSS.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Black powder guns are exempted from a lot of gun restrictions. Don't think that modifying it for a choke would matter much. But that can be easily checked out. You will need enuff barrel for the forcing cone to still function AND have the barrel tapped for a screw in choke. Open cyclinder is perfect for a good machinist if the barrel wall is thick enuff to do it safely. An extended choke may actually help a fuzz down range??? Seems like an interesting project!
Grouse870

Post by Grouse870 »

Nothing saying you couldn’t cut down a tk2000 into a pistol either. Have it threaded for choke tubes remount the sights cut the thumb hole stock after the pistol grip and a little filing your good to go. I’d probably keep the barrel in the 10-14” range personally.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

There's a video on youtube where a fella cut down a centerfire shotgun incrementally and chronographed the results. I think you need a longer, single barrel.

You've seen the companies selling 14" barrelled pumps and autos these days? BATFE considers them firearms, but not shotguns due to how they are manufactured. An aluminum frame single barrel subgauge done that way would be the ticket. Or you could just buy a Yildiz .410 and do the proper paperwork through BATFE to legally cut it down.

I was all about this until I shot my Yildiz .410 holding it like a pistol. Those guns could be carried in a shoulder holster when folded. And, in GA, I could just tune up a cap n ball. Anyhow, it looks like a fun project!

Return to “Gun Talk”