Altering POI (not with adjustable sight)

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Altering POI (not with adjustable sight)

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I’ve got a High Standard K411 (.410 pump) plain barrel. It’s technically my son’s gun gifted from his granddad. But he’s 3, so I’m caring for it for the time being. I’ve polished it up a bit, refinished and added a FFII. It’s a sweet shooter and with the sight, nothing I would change. BUT, without the sight, the POI is off 6” or so high and right. For turkeys, I like the sight anyway, so not a big problem. But I took the sight off and took it duck hunting recently, and it gave me problems. Fixed full barrel and close range ducks - POI is important. Just to experiment I shot at a few stationary blackbirds that afternoon and it’s noticable. For squirrels and doves and such I’ll probably start my son out without a sight. But I need the gun to shoot where it’s aimed. What are my options? Barrel bending by a gunsmith? Pros/cons?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
ncturkey

Re: Altering POI (not with adjustable sight)

Post by ncturkey »

Hopefully someone that knows about your problem will come to help you. But if you know any good gunsmith’s they could maybe give you some good advise on how to fix your problem.
Mike
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

If it had no sentimental value, I'd bend it myself. As it does, I suggest having it threaded for chokes.
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

Brownell used to sell a barrel bending jig for single barrel guns. I have one that I have never used. When I switched to HTL turkey loads about 10 years ago I discovered that my 1100 Magnum with a 28" fixed full choke shot significantly to the left. I put the barrel in a vise and applied pressure by hand until I got it shooting where I wanted it to. I do not know how many turkeys I killed with that gun with #4 lead (but it was a bunch), the HTL shot so much tighter that I was completely missing head shots at 20-30 yards. I would think that a good shotgun smith would have little problem getting it to shoot to POA
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Southern Sportsman wrote: January 15th, 2019, 10:30 pm I’ve got a High Standard K411 (.410 pump) plain barrel. It’s technically my son’s gun gifted from his granddad. But he’s 3, so I’m caring for it for the time being. I’ve polished it up a bit, refinished and added a FFII. It’s a sweet shooter and with the sight, nothing I would change. BUT, without the sight, the POI is off 6” or so high and right. For turkeys, I like the sight anyway, so not a big problem. But I took the sight off and took it duck hunting recently, and it gave me problems. Fixed full barrel and close range ducks - POI is important. Just to experiment I shot at a few stationary blackbirds that afternoon and it’s noticable. Then I shot it on paper and confirmed my suspicion. For squirrels and doves and such I’ll probably start my son out without a sight. But I need the gun to shoot where it’s aimed. What are my options? Barrel bending by a gunsmith? Pros/cons?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
firedup

Post by firedup »

I have never tried it but would filing the barrel be a solution? I have read of some doing it to move POI on double barrels. Not sure how much you have to do it or if it would pull it that much??? Mite another option for you. Probably still need a good smith.

Return to “Gun Talk”