Here It Is ML'er Season Again ......

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Here It Is ML'er Season Again ......

Post by redarrow »

....and here I am asking the same ol question I asked last year. I'm shooting a CVA Optima Pro in .50 cal.Using Barnes TNT BT #45180.With the EZ load sabots (blue). Well they ain't so easy . Dang near have to hammer them in .I think maybe it was Tom ICEDEDTURKES that recommended a different sabot that is much easier to load in tight bores. Any suggestions would be appreciated.I had originally used the yellow sabots,and they were worse.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Here It Is ML'er Season Again ......

Post by howl »

Ever tried a Power Belt? They get a bad rap, but they worked fine for me. Of course, I always loaded mine a good bit lighter than most.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I used them awhile back and switched to Barnes and they gave me better groups. I just ordered the Harvester sabots that Tom suggested I try. Hope they work out.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

F8441471-9D20-4851-B370-AB5474753237.jpeg
DF9479EA-64F3-43F7-842C-5B7F870B6F5B.jpeg
I’ll be trying this combination out next year. I cleaned both mine and my wife’s muzzleloaders today and putem up so I’ll have to shoot before next muzzleloader season
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I do not know a lot about what I am about to tell you. But have you ever thought about sizing a bullet with a swagger to match your bore diameter. The smokeless Muzzleloader guys are shooting these swagged bullets in there rifles. They use a veggie wads that acts as a seal between the powder and the bullet.
This will also increase accuracy as well. I am no expert in this bullet swagging. I am hoping that Sloppy will see the post and shed more light on it. When I get time and the money I plan on getting me a bullet swagger for my Remington 700 ML Rifle.
Mike
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Why no talk about real muzzleloader hunting,like a flintlock??
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

devastator wrote: December 13th, 2018, 6:26 pm Why no talk about real muzzleloader hunting,like a flintlock??
Cause I don’t have one. :lol:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Based on ICEDEDTURKES recommendation I tried the Harvester sabots. Haven't shot them yet but they loaded much easier.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

redarrow wrote: December 13th, 2018, 7:29 pm Based on ICEDEDTURKES recommendation I tried the Harvester sabots. Haven't shot them yet but they loaded much easier.
Bigspurs68 also suggested for me to try the harvester wads. and to knurl the barnes bullets, or any bullets for that matter in muzzleloaders to get the full spin needed for accuracy.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

devastator wrote: December 13th, 2018, 6:26 pm Why no talk about real muzzleloader hunting,like a flintlock??
How's the orange loin clouth, custom melted bullets, customer hickory long bow, hemade cedar arrows and fllint shape tips treating you.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: December 14th, 2018, 12:17 am
How's the orange loin clouth, custom melted bullets, customer hickory long bow, hemade cedar arrows and fllint shape tips treating you.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

They've pretty much killed that in GA. Muzzleloader week now includes youths using centerfires. I think 9/10 shots I heard during muzzleloader week sounded like an AR15. I think it's awesome. My kids really enjoyed it.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Are talking about the smoothbore smoke poles. Start up a conversation. I love smoothbore rifles.
Mike
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

Swage your bullets to 0.0005 under bore diameter and throw the sabots in the trash.

Magic happens.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Sloppy_Snood wrote: December 17th, 2018, 9:07 am Swage your bullets to 0.0005 under bore diameter and throw the sabots in the trash.

Magic happens.
I'm not familiar with swageing . How does one do that.With out the sabot will the bullet still engage the rifling.

Return to “Gun Talk”