Red dot removal

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
coconut

Red dot removal

Post by coconut »

Once you put a red dot scope on something does it pretty much live there or do you ever remove it for ducks and doves? I want to put one on my yildiz 410 but I am thinking once it is on there I would never take it off and I really enjoy shooting it for doves. Wish I could just buy me 2 of them but hard to justify. Any thoughts?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Red dot removal

Post by Hoobilly »

Once I’ve put one on, it’s dedicated. But I would pull one off to duck hunt with if I had to. You might want to try wing shooting with it on and see how it does. Doves would be good to try it on
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

I shot my ATI Cavalry o/u .410 on a dove hunt with a ff3 on it, and killed several birds.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

As long as there is lead in the air there is hope.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I want to shoot doves wherever it is you shoot. I almost got my limit yesterday, but I think I only had one safe shot inside 20 yards.

Justify the purchase of another gun by multiplying the cost of sighting in with TSS shells by the number of years you are likely to use the gun. New gun! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Justify the purchase of another gun? It's Monday. Tomorrow is Tuesday, etc. I just got paid. I don't have to pay the electric bill for two weeks. Fishing season is over. I need it, or maybe just want it. I already have all I need. It goes on, and on. Gil
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Gun Buying logic

Don't look at it as "spending" the money. Spent money is money that you never get back.

Rather, consider it as a deposit that you put up to use the gun for as long as you want. When you're through using the gun, you can get your deposit back (with an adjustment for condition, demand, etc.)

I've had guns that I had the use of for 30 years and then got rid of them and got double or triple my deposit back. I've got still other guns that I could probably quadruple my deposit on if I were ready to let them go, but I'm not done using them yet.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Rare is the person who can consider guns as an investment. There's an old saying about guns increasing in value. "Money is made when the gun is bought, not sold." The market for SxS shotguns has been down for several years. It's a buyer's market on most guns, not a seller's, for most of us. The sale of English SxS shotguns, the gold standard for shotguns, has been flat except for the guns valued in $10K increments, same for the high grade American guns such as Parker, but out of reach of most pocketbooks, and not granddad's field grade LC Smith, Ithaca NID, or Parker 12 gauge Trojan. Buy a gun to use it and not in the hope that it will be worth more when you sell it; if it is worth more, you are lucky; otherwise you have rented it. Other than black guns, there's not much interest in the old classics among the younger set. Times they are a'changing.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

With all do respect, they’re are other exceptions to the “old saying.” I have 4 M1 carbines that are worth three times what I payed. Anything in a Colt snake line of revolvers will get you four times what you paid. I just bought Weatherby Orion 20ga.that is 20 years old and paid double what it was new. There are others.
I don’t disagree that most low end guns that get beat up by hunting will not bring you a huge return but mid to higher end guns that are not turds to begin with will not cost you money when you sell them. If they are taken care of. You buy a $250 Mossberg, use it for 10 years, don’t expect to trade it even for a Benelli.
coconut

Post by coconut »

howl wrote: October 29th, 2018, 10:25 am I want to shoot doves wherever it is you shoot. I almost got my limit yesterday, but I think I only had one safe shot inside 20 yards.

Justify the purchase of another gun by multiplying the cost of sighting in with TSS shells by the number of years you are likely to use the gun. New gun! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Just about have to be hidden like you are turkey hunting and move the gun slowly to your shoulder. They act a lot different when multiple folks with dogs, trucks and beer everywhere.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

There would be more interest in older shotguns if we knew what we were looking at. I get the wantsies right regular, but I have no idea what it is or what it is good for when it comes to the classics. Prices seem pretty high when you consider we can pick up a Beretta or Franchi autoloader for less. Then again, my boy often drools over the cheap plastic pumps and would trade his pretty little O/U for one if I let him.

.410 won't work for dove for me then. Had a fella get huffy with me the other day when I said something about not skybusting at them when they come in over the trees. Kinda ridiculous when you know they're coming because of where they turned them back from the field down the treeline.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

The biggest thing about buying a gun of any type is knowing everything about what your going to purchase. Do your due diligence! I’ve been buying, selling and horse trading weapons for over 50 years. (Not a whole lot of selling). You pretty much get what you pay for! A turd today, will be a bigger turd in 10 years. Take this to the bank! Figure out what you want, what you want it to do and what you’re willing to spend. If what you want is to expensive, hold off a few more months and buy it when your weasel sack allows it. This will pay you back in spades if and when you decide to sell or trade it.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

There isn't any rhyme nor reason why some items appreciate substantially and other things don't. In 1975, I paid $250 retail for a used1969 Rolex GMT Master wristwatch with the "Pepsi Cola" colored bezel at a highbrow jewelry store locally. The same watch now shows up for an average of $9-10,000. Hindsight is great predictor of future value. ;) Had I known then what I know now, I'd be sitting on a shoe box full of Rolexes. Gil
SumToy

Post by SumToy »

Is it a O/U you should be able to take it on and off. Now the Single shot it so thin at back I would leave the base on but can take sight of the base.

Return to “Gun Talk”