SBE I Bead Question

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

SBE I Bead Question

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I have been curious about one aspect of my Benelli for quite a while. It is relatively insignificant, but the curiosity persists. The gun is a 1994 ("Bd" proof mark) HK Benelli Super Black Eagle with a 28" barrel. The gun does not have the traditional small red fiber optic front bead typical for Benellis. Just a very low profile silver front bead. Slightly larger in diameter than the typical center bead, but roughly the same height. Also, it does not have, and is not tapped for, the center bead. I don't mind the bead set up. I've shot it for fifteen years so I'm rather used to it. But I have never seen another one without the red fiber optic bead or without the center bead. Did Benelli offer differnt bead patterns when this gun was manufactured or is mine just some sort of anomaly?

PS, I am not the original owner but bought it from the original owner, who is a family friend. He says he never changed the bead, but the gun is nearly 25 years old so I suppose it is possible that he did and forgot.
Last edited by Southern Sportsman on July 12th, 2018, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: SBE I Bead Question

Post by Hoobilly »

I imagine that’s more HK than Benelli at that point in time.

You know that it floats the fourth?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

The old ones were imported by H&K but still made by Benelli. I have several buddies who shoot HK Benellis, including one of the same year, also 28”, a few hundred serial numbers apart from mine. They all have the red fiber optic front bead with the silver center bead.

And yes, I am very familiar with the shell floating capabilities.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Southern Sportsman wrote: July 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm The old ones were imported by H&K but still made by Benelli. I have several buddies who shoot HK Benellis, including one of the same year, also 28”, a few hundred serial numbers apart from mine. They all have the red fiber optic front bead with the silver center bead.

And yes, I am very familiar with the shell floating capabilities.
I don't know nuttin! :D

sadly my benelli SBE and SBE2 were stolen. one held 4
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

I have an "HK" and two barrels. I changed the fiber optic on both of mine for silver beads.

2gbl
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

DBLGBL wrote: July 12th, 2018, 5:38 pm I have an "HK" and two barrels. I changed the fiber optic on both of mine for silver beads.

2gbl
Do they both have the center bead?
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Southern Sportsman wrote: July 12th, 2018, 6:23 pm
DBLGBL wrote: July 12th, 2018, 5:38 pm I have an "HK" and two barrels. I changed the fiber optic on both of mine for silver beads.

2gbl
Do they both have the center bead?
I will check. I actually have two of these guns. I know the short barrel does but I'm thinking I may have had aa smith install it. That was a long time ago.

2gbl
noxubeehunter

Post by noxubeehunter »

I have a SBE I that only has a one white bead. Looks like it's almost a plastic type substance. It protrudes slightly facing back toward the shooter. I've asked my dad and he says it's the original bead that was on it when he bought it back in the early 90s. We have three newer SBE I's and they all have that fiberoptic bead you speak of plus the smaller middle bead as well. They also have a little bit different rib profile. More of a raised rib a few inches down the barrel.
DBLGBL

Post by DBLGBL »

Checked the barrels and the original 28" has a mid bead and fiber optic front sight. The 24" came factory with mid bead. My non HK camo has mid bead and fiber optic front.

2gbl

Return to “Gun Talk”