Savage Bolt Action Turkey Gun!

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Savage Bolt Action Turkey Gun!

Post by Hoobilly »

This is a article about a Savage 212 bolt action turkey shotgun.. I heard thru the grape vine (SpurPhone) that there is someone special on here who has bought one in 220 (20ga)

would love to know more about the 20ga version. I used to have the 220 slug gun and wanted to do what Sloppy did and build a turkey gun out of one.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... 89443147=1
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Savage Bolt Action Turkey Gun!

Post by Grumpy »

I finished finding the parts for the Kessler model 15K aka model 30C with the Western Field brand name on it. It is a 16 ga. I found in local dumpster 20 yrs. ago and finally found the bolt thru Numrich suggested to me by a member on this site. I will be using it next spring to shoot a turkey with using Fiochi nickle plated 5 shot 1 1/8 oz. load. The gun will be kept in original out of the box form it was built in. No added choke tubes as it is a full choke now, now fancy stock,scope or other add on.I did put a universal snap on front fiber optic bead sight on it for the weak eyes and low light shooting that may happen. The entire gun without the magazine weighs in at a mere 4lbs. 11 onces and it does kick like a damn mule but it sure seems to hold a tight pattern. Later when I have time I will shoot a few rounds thru it and see how it patterns at 40 yrds. or so. For now it is a single shot as the magazine (clip) is gone and I cannot locate one but I'm sure a 20 ga. clip can be modified to work and those are available in some gun sites for parts. Seems odd to me but this gun uses the the same bolt and breech block as the 20 ga., they are interchangeable for these 2 gauges, all mic out the same at .872 inches. Oh well it shoots and shoots damn good and for the $75 I got into it for a dumpster find I figure anything that shoots is worth at least 75 bucks.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

Hey Brice,

Your post from a while back is what set me off on this Savage 220T. Sloppy and Clark Bush gave me encouragement and answered questions I had before taking the plunge. I called the Savage custom shop back in mid March, spec'd everything out, and then formally placed the order through my local gun shop on March 16. We got the call that the gun was on its way first week of June, and I took delivery last week. The packing slip came with the name of the smith that built it, and the initials of the person that did the proof and function testing. I like seeing that. The action is very smooth, the bore and barrel look perfect to the eye. The barrel is 22" long and the bore diameter measures .629. The adjustable Accutrigger came in at 2.75 lbs and I set it at 3 lbs to match my other guns. It is an excellent trigger. The gun without scope and base weighed 6.6 lbs. I put a Nikon Turkey Pro scope on it with the EGW short Picatinny base made specifically for the Savage 220 action. I came with a Trulock .590 extended choke and I also have an Indian Creek BDS .575 to try out. It will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to pattern it, but I'll add some pics when I get a chance to do that.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

When sloppy sent your picture to me.. I got so jealous 😂

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I would have to cut the stock down some to fit me right for turkey hunting. And with a lil red dot it would Wright more than factory

RapscallionVermilion

I wouldn't be surprised if they'll make you whatever LOP you want, but they make the stock in two standard LOP, 13.5" and 12.5".
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

That's very sharp looking! Looking forward to see the patterns from it.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

RapscallionVermilion wrote: June 16th, 2018, 5:05 pm I wouldn't be surprised if they'll make you whatever LOP you want, but they make the stock in two standard LOP, 13.5" and 12.5".
Which one are you using?

I’m short.. so sitting down youth stocks are almost perfect. Some are too short, but some are just right

RapscallionVermilion

hoobilly wrote:
RapscallionVermilion wrote: June 16th, 2018, 5:05 pm I wouldn't be surprised if they'll make you whatever LOP you want, but they make the stock in two standard LOP, 13.5" and 12.5".
Which one are you using?

I’m short.. so sitting down youth stocks are almost perfect. Some are too short, but some are just right
Mine is the 13.5, but I could easily see the 12.5” working well for turkey hunting. They call the 12.5” a youth stock but it has turned out to be popular with adults that prefer the shorter stock.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

The shorter one should fit me perfect

HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

My buddy Tommy T has this gun and shoots a Jeb’s choke. It’s a killer:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RapscallionVermilion

Hart, thanks for the pic. I like that pattern. Very uniform. I hope mine does as well. It's driving me nuts that I won't be able to pattern mine for a couple of weeks.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Jason the patterns awesome.. but Tommys penmanship is outstanding !!!!!

RapscallionVermilion

I put three patterns from today up in the Handloading section.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

RapscallionVermilion wrote: July 7th, 2018, 5:02 pm I put three patterns from today up in the Handloading section.
:cyclopsani:

firedup

Post by firedup »

Nice gun! Well put together. Really thought hard about that one and having a 20 in bolt action. Just never "pulled the trigger" on it.

Return to “Gun Talk”