forcing cone question?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
-DIRTNAP-

forcing cone question?

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

do you guys recommend lengthening the forcing cone on a Remington 870 youth 20 gauge to achieve better patterns for shooting tss
VALongbeard

Re: forcing cone question?

Post by VALongbeard »

No,
Not needed at all.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

What VAL said, won't improve patterns at all with TSS.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Other than weakening the barrel does forcing cone work do anything?
jasperjet

Post by jasperjet »

sometimes it reduces felt recoil. we did one barrel on a double barrel 12 and there was a marked difference in recoil between the barrels
alpha burnt

Post by alpha burnt »

I dropped big money on a Winchester 1300 12 gauge bbl about 20 years ago to have forcing cone lengthened, backbored, chopped to 21", rifle sights installed and sleeve choked to .660 for lead loads to guy in PA, think it was Mark Bansner? It improved it some but shot nothing like TSS does out of a stock barrell with a fixed choke in a 20 gauge...
coconut

Post by coconut »

I have about 6 old fixed choke shotguns that pattern lead 4’s excellent. Since I discovered the good stuff they just hang out in the cabinet.
coconut

Post by coconut »

alpha burnt wrote: May 9th, 2018, 10:14 pm I dropped big money on a Winchester 1300 12 gauge bbl about 20 years ago to have forcing cone lengthened, backbored, chopped to 21", rifle sights installed and sleeve choked to .660 for lead loads to guy in PA, think it was Mark Bansner? It improved it some but shot nothing like TSS does out of a stock barrell with a fixed choke in a 20 gauge...
I have a 16 sleeved. Can you shoot tss out of a sleeved barrel?
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

coconut wrote: May 9th, 2018, 10:58 pm
alpha burnt wrote: May 9th, 2018, 10:14 pm I dropped big money on a Winchester 1300 12 gauge bbl about 20 years ago to have forcing cone lengthened, backbored, chopped to 21", rifle sights installed and sleeve choked to .660 for lead loads to guy in PA, think it was Mark Bansner? It improved it some but shot nothing like TSS does out of a stock barrell with a fixed choke in a 20 gauge...
I’m not aware of anything that you can’t shoot TSS through. The pressures are all within safe limits, and the loads I have all either use mylar or super thick wads to protect the barrel.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

coconut wrote: May 9th, 2018, 10:58 pm
I would check the exit ID on the barrel first, you have to remember those sleeves are just glued in.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

What do you mean by a "sleeved" barrel? Sleeved barrels in a double gun were done to replace a heavily pitted barrel or a barrel that was too thin. Typically on an older gun. I had a "sleeved" choke done in a .410 and it shoots lights out with TSS. If you have an older "sleeved" barrel double gun, chances are it isn't built for the pressures of our TSS loads. I have a couple of "sleeved" barrel doubles in 16 ga. and I wouldn't consider shooting a modern load out of these 100+ year old guns. If it's an old gun, it will have old wood which can be damaged with the recoil of heavy loads. Gil
coconut

Post by coconut »

With fixed chokes of old days if you wanted xtra full choke and they didn’t make a barrel with that option you could send barrel off to a barrel man and he would bore out the choke and slide a smaller diameter choke into the barrel. There was much magic and skill involved
coconut

Post by coconut »

Sleeved choke I should of specified. I have seen some guns where folks would sleeve the whole barrel but sleeved choke is what I meant.

Return to “Gun Talk”