Iver Johnson Champion 16 Gauge

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
55esox

Iver Johnson Champion 16 Gauge

Post by 55esox »

Went through the gun safe the other day and came across the old family Iver Johnson Single shot. this was my fathers first gun, and was also the first gun my brother and I carried. I have a son coming up and probably within a year or so he might start bending the trigger on this.

In regards to a turkey gun, I like the single shot and hammer option for a youngster starting out. It doesn't seem like there are a ton of loads out there now for 16 gauge, so of course my mind went to TSS. My question is, should there be anything in particular to look for to make sure this is a safe option for TSS? The gun appears to be made between 1940- 1956, and other than some woodworking that needs to be done, the gun looks to be in very nice shape. The barrel itself is a full choke and has an ID of around .631". The barrel thickness at the end is about .053".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Iver Johnson Champion 16 Gauge

Post by 2Shooter »

If you have shot it, and it work fine the tss loads should work good. 1 7/8 oz of tss 9’s should pattern real good in a .631. Make sure you follow the recipe to the t, and it should work fine!!! Let us know how it does!

Return to “Gun Talk”