Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
taylorjones20
Posts: 200
Joined: March 6th, 2015, 11:17 pm
Location: Beech Bluff, TN

Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by taylorjones20 » February 13th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Do you think that Federal came up with their own load data for their TSS loads? Or did they get some info from some of the known TSS loaders?

User avatar
hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 5455
Joined: August 15th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Location: Argos Indiana

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by hoobilly » February 13th, 2018, 4:03 pm

taylorjones20 wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 3:32 pm
Do you think that Federal came up with their own load data for their TSS loads? Or did they get some info from some of the known TSS loaders?
I bet they read the post all over the internet

User avatar
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1466
Joined: May 13th, 2013, 5:25 pm
Location: southern onio

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by Turkinator » February 13th, 2018, 7:16 pm

You know they studied what had been done by private loaders.

User avatar
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 6830
Joined: July 8th, 2011, 9:27 am

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by ICDEDTURKES » February 13th, 2018, 7:30 pm

This in no way being an azz, but it's social media. Not just shells, but everything. I can build a call with this latex over this over proph and people will try to clone.

No way against the shell builders on here, great guys!!! But loose lips sink ships. Might not be yours but those you helped believe they're innocent.
Hooks Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Gar Commander
Posts: 293
Joined: February 26th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by Gar Commander » February 13th, 2018, 8:43 pm

With the R & D budget Federal has, and the prior shotshell experience they have in all gauges, I would imagine they came up with a load of their own. Their loads have probably been THOROUGHLY tested for safety.

User avatar
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 2634
Joined: May 16th, 2012, 10:29 am
Location: Lowcountry, GA

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by GLS » February 13th, 2018, 9:04 pm

The big ammo companies have proprietary powders made for them that may be similar to what we handloaders use, but I doubt if anyone can say exactly what the equivalent over the counter powder would be in their loads. They are pretty much unrecognizable and maybe so on purpose. Gil

User avatar
crenshawco
Posts: 604
Joined: May 10th, 2013, 11:28 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by crenshawco » February 13th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Gar Commander wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 8:43 pm
With the R & D budget Federal has, and the prior shotshell experience they have in all gauges, I would imagine they came up with a load of their own. Their loads have probably been THOROUGHLY tested for safety.
X2. Especially since they continue to pimp out the FCW

coconut
Posts: 239
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by coconut » February 13th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Wonder what shell designer gets paid? That would be a good job. That and shell tester on turkeys

SKFOOTER
Posts: 135
Joined: March 14th, 2012, 2:11 pm
Location: TENNESSEE

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by SKFOOTER » February 14th, 2018, 10:01 am

If Federal is so smart, why did they load the 20 gauge #9 in a Reduced Recoil shell only????

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1719
Joined: August 28th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by timbrhuntr » February 14th, 2018, 11:09 am

I remember when I used to be a homebrew game cam builder. Most of the commercial cams were slow and overall quality sucked. A bunch of guys got together and pooled knowledge on a couple sites to set up our own homebrews. Trigger times were real quick and pic quality fantastic. Homebrewing was getting bigger with at least 2 more sites. Then the commercial companies starting putting out similar features on new cams and gee I wonder where they got the ideas ? I figure same thing here no doubt .

toasty
Posts: 435
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 10:00 am

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by toasty » February 14th, 2018, 11:50 am

crenshawco wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 9:28 pm

X2. Especially since they continue to pimp out the FCW
IMO, Fed made a huge mistake to use the FCW with TSS. TSS holds together so well, FCW is not needed like it is with steel shot. It will only screw up the guys with 10 yard shots. I did a little work with fed heavyweight loads and at 10 yards, you get a half dollar sized hole through the pattern board and at 15 yards is still is only the size of a baseball.

User avatar
hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 5455
Joined: August 15th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Location: Argos Indiana

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by hoobilly » February 14th, 2018, 12:18 pm

toasty wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 11:50 am
crenshawco wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 9:28 pm

X2. Especially since they continue to pimp out the FCW
IMO, Fed made a huge mistake to use the FCW with TSS. TSS holds together so well, FCW is not needed like it is with steel shot. It will only screw up the guys with 10 yard shots. I did a little work with fed heavyweight loads and at 10 yards, you get a half dollar sized hole through the pattern board and at 15 yards is still is only the size of a baseball.
:shock: :o :shock: :?

I know someone who loaded some youth 20ga loads and Im not sure how or what I did wrong, but they were like a missile leaving one hole with a few pellets scattered in the pattern.. can't remember how far that shot was, but it was for Andy Kaisers boy

taylorjones20
Posts: 200
Joined: March 6th, 2015, 11:17 pm
Location: Beech Bluff, TN

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by taylorjones20 » February 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm

I just found it odd that I haven't see a company with a roll crimp turkey load until they came out with the TSS. I just figured someone from Federal is a member of this form or lurking around. :dontknow: :shock:

norINhunter
Posts: 65
Joined: April 11th, 2016, 11:27 am

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by norINhunter » February 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Too bad they used that flight control wad. Doesn't make sense why they would use it for this application but whatever I won't be shooting them.

GALongbeardSmacker
Posts: 291
Joined: March 17th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by GALongbeardSmacker » February 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm

taylorjones20 wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm
I just found it odd that I haven't see a company with a roll crimp turkey load until they came out with the TSS. I just figured someone from Federal is a member of this form or lurking around. :dontknow: :shock:
Longbeards are roll crimped

wormyjames
Posts: 21
Joined: April 4th, 2014, 5:46 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by wormyjames » February 17th, 2018, 11:09 am

The old white Hevi's were rolled also...

taylorjones20
Posts: 200
Joined: March 6th, 2015, 11:17 pm
Location: Beech Bluff, TN

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by taylorjones20 » February 17th, 2018, 8:12 pm

GALongbeardSmacker wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm
taylorjones20 wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm
I just found it odd that I haven't see a company with a roll crimp turkey load until they came out with the TSS. I just figured someone from Federal is a member of this form or lurking around. :dontknow: :shock:
Longbeards are roll crimped
True, but not a traditional roll crimp.

GALongbeardSmacker
Posts: 291
Joined: March 17th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by GALongbeardSmacker » February 20th, 2018, 12:46 am

taylorjones20 wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 8:12 pm
GALongbeardSmacker wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm
taylorjones20 wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm
I just found it odd that I haven't see a company with a roll crimp turkey load until they came out with the TSS. I just figured someone from Federal is a member of this form or lurking around. :dontknow: :shock:
Longbeards are roll crimped
True, but not a traditional roll crimp.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

big6
Posts: 10
Joined: February 20th, 2018, 5:52 am

Post by big6 » February 20th, 2018, 8:55 am

I am new to gobbler nation and not quite sure how to ask a question but here
goes. Federal's new TSS load in 20 ga 9's has a velocity of 1000 fps, how far can it penetrate ballistic gel by 1.25"?

big6
Posts: 10
Joined: February 20th, 2018, 5:52 am

TSS 9's 1000 fps

Post by big6 » February 20th, 2018, 8:57 am

I am new to gobbler nation and not quite sure how to ask a question but here goes. Federal's new TSS load in 20 ga 9's has a velocity of 1000 fps, how far can it penetrate ballistic gel by 1.25"?

taylorjones20
Posts: 200
Joined: March 6th, 2015, 11:17 pm
Location: Beech Bluff, TN

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by taylorjones20 » February 20th, 2018, 11:24 am

GALongbeardSmacker wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 12:46 am
taylorjones20 wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 8:12 pm
GALongbeardSmacker wrote:
February 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm


Longbeards are roll crimped
True, but not a traditional roll crimp.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I thought the longbeards had some type of fold and roll crimp.

User avatar
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 7448
Joined: June 27th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Re: TSS 9's 1000 fps

Post by Gobbler » February 20th, 2018, 11:41 am

big6 wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 8:57 am
I am new to gobbler nation and not quite sure how to ask a question but here goes. Federal's new TSS load in 20 ga 9's has a velocity of 1000 fps, how far can it penetrate ballistic gel by 1.25"?
I don't know but it may be a good idea to ask this question again in its own thread so it doesn't get lost in this thread.
Welcome aboard to Gobbler Nation. :thumbup:

User avatar
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 2433
Joined: April 23rd, 2012, 9:12 pm
Location: Western North Carolina

Re:

Post by Spuriosity » February 22nd, 2018, 8:01 am

big6 wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 8:55 am
I am new to gobbler nation and not quite sure how to ask a question but here
goes. Federal's new TSS load in 20 ga 9's has a velocity of 1000 fps, how far can it penetrate ballistic gel by 1.25"?
69 yds

GALongbeardSmacker
Posts: 291
Joined: March 17th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by GALongbeardSmacker » February 22nd, 2018, 1:00 pm

taylorjones20 wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 11:24 am
GALongbeardSmacker wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 12:46 am
taylorjones20 wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 8:12 pm


True, but not a traditional roll crimp.
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I thought the longbeards had some type of fold and roll crimp.
Nah they’re roll crimped. They used an overshot card that looks like a fold crimp.

taylorjones20
Posts: 200
Joined: March 6th, 2015, 11:17 pm
Location: Beech Bluff, TN

Re: Federal TSS - Just thinking outloud...

Post by taylorjones20 » February 22nd, 2018, 1:49 pm

GALongbeardSmacker wrote:
February 22nd, 2018, 1:00 pm
taylorjones20 wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 11:24 am
GALongbeardSmacker wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 12:46 am


I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I thought the longbeards had some type of fold and roll crimp.
Nah they’re roll crimped. They used an overshot card that looks like a fold crimp.
Gotcha

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests