1187 original bottomland touch up paint?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Justin W

1187 original bottomland touch up paint?

Post by Justin W »

I just bought a 1187 in original bottomland from the early 90s. I got the gun for a great deal but it needs some work. The recoil spring tube was bent and it had a cracked stock. Ive fixed those issues but it has some paint chips throughout the gun and I want to fix this to prevent rust and restore the gun to what it once was. Anyone have an idea on where I can get some touch up paint that will match the original bottomland pattern? Sure I can go to the hardware store but it won’t match closely.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 1187 original bottomland touch up paint?

Post by Hoobilly »

I haven't heard of anyone doing this.. but someone has to have tried it before. Hopefully someone on here can help
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
huntin

Post by huntin »

I don't think you will be able to buy touch up paint in the colors you need to match the original bottomland. Your best bet will be to go look at the flat colors in spray cans, buy the ones closest to the colors you need, spray a little of the colors in small containers, jar lids, etc. and mix to match the best you can and apply with a small brush.
Post a picture of the damaged areas and maybe someone can make more specific suggestions. Good luck
Justin W

Post by Justin W »

Thanks for the replies fellas. I took the gun to the Sherwin williams store and they are confident the can match the colors perfectly, even with fading and the added sheen from use over the years. I’ll have to buy the three colors in quart cans, but I’ll have plenty to last a while.

David1988 you are right. The new stuff doesn’t even come close to matching the old stuff. One I get the paint mixed up, I’m gonna paint an 870 with it this summer to look just like the original. Ive already got the stencils, and I’ll spray the paint with a small sprayer. Try to duplicate the original just for fun.
huntin

Post by huntin »

Be sure to post pictures when finish both projects.
FLGobstopper

Post by FLGobstopper »

I would love to see the finished product and also know the codes on the paints from Sherwin Williams. I have an 870 orig bottomland and it's pretty flaky around the receiver in spots and some on the barrel. I really don't want to get it dipped either and would prefer to touch it up if possible. Please let us know how yours turns out.

Return to “Gun Talk”