Gun review

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
ChiefBubba

Gun review

Post by ChiefBubba »

This is a tale of how my life long search for a low recoil gun turned into 2 guns. I haven't posted in a long while but have been reading here. A long while back I asked about low recoil deer cartridges. Boy did I get a lot to choose from you guys. I settled on the 7-08 which I had been leaning towards anyway. So I started my search for the gun I really liked and thought it was the Browning X bolt with the wood stock. But there's a lot of nice guns out there. Lol.
In the mean time my family has a good bit of ranch land here in Florida and was looking for a truck gun for "cheap" a beater basically. I was looking at a Walmart special and found an Savage Axis 2 with an Accutrigger and a Weaver scope in 243 for 300 bucks at the local Bass Pro. So I ended up with a 243. :D
The 7-08 search continued a month ago I found CDNN has the Savages on sale after a lot of debate I got the 11 DOA with Bushnell scope for 380 bucks. Since I really like the Accutrigger this is my third Savage.
7-08 has already killed a buck this season. Both guns are very nice gun. I've shot the 243 at the range a good bit and it shoots very good.

The 7-08 I've pretty much zeroed it and took it hunting. They are basically the same gun. In fact I swapped the magazine between them because I didn't like the fit of the 7-08 one that came with it. That is one complaint I have those magazines are cheaply made and feel cheap. Hopefully someone will make an upgrade for it. The 7-08 definitely has a free floating barrel I could probably run 3 dollar bills under it. I was a little worried about that being too high.

The Weaver scope is pretty good but the Bushnell is junk and I'll be upgrading to a Leupold for the 7-08. I'm most likely going with the 3-9 by 40. Both guns feel very good and shoot well for my average shooting lol. The only complaint I have so far is the magazine. Chief.
Attachments
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
Last edited by ChiefBubba on November 27th, 2017, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Gun review

Post by 2Shooter »

Good deal Chief!!! The Savage Axis, and Axis II are real accurate rifles!!! Hard to believe a cheap rifle could be so accurate!!! Check on ebay, and you can get a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 TYD for less than $300 sometimes. I bought the wife a youth Axis II in muddy girl camo 243, and with hand loaded Barnes 80grn TTSX bullets it shots a little better than 1/2" 3 shot group at a hundred yards. Hers has the Weaver 3-9x40 scope on it also. Steve :thumbup: :thumbup:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Glad you're happy for the most part. I've learned over the years that if it shoots...........KEEP IT!

Happy Hunting,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

Not a real big fan of a Bushnell scope, when I was a kid I remember my brothers burning up two or three boxes of shells trying to sight in their rifles that were topped with Bushnell's. All I have owned in the last 20 or 25 years is Leupold and I have NEVER had a bad one.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

2Shooter wrote: November 27th, 2017, 9:27 am Good deal Chief!!! The Savage Axis, and Axis II are real accurate rifles!!! Hard to believe a cheap rifle could be so accurate!!! Check on ebay, and you can get a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 TYD for less than $300 sometimes. I bought the wife a youth Axis II in muddy girl camo 243, and with hand loaded Barnes 80grn TTSX bullets it shots a little better than 1/2" 3 shot group at a hundred yards. Hers has the Weaver 3-9x40 scope on it also. Steve :thumbup: :thumbup:
No doubt I think all the manufacturer realized an in expensive deer rifle that shoots is all anyone wants. Love my Axis. Put your money into glass anymore.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: November 27th, 2017, 11:41 amNo doubt I think all the manufacturer realized an in expensive deer rifle that shoots is all anyone wants. Love my Axis. Put your money into glass anymore.
Respectfully, I'm going to take exception here Tom.

I think ANY rifle that a person has can be improved with $200 of precision gunsmithing for purposes of truing the bolt lugs, receiver face-to-recoil lug, and recoil lug-to-barrel shoulder. Throw the trued hardware into a decent stock (or junk plastic stock but bed it) and you will be stunned.

Cheap "good" optics abound these days IMO.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters

Return to “Gun Talk”