Dipping vs Coating

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Yule

Dipping vs Coating

Post by Yule »

I am thinking of doing my 870 - 20 ga. youth turkey gun. Any pros / cons on dipping vs. cerakote? Who have you guys used that does good work?

Thanks
crenshawco

Re: Dipping vs Coating

Post by crenshawco »

I went with cerakote on mine just for better long term durability and protection. Black Dove Customs did mine, and I was very pleased with it.

decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Cerakote doesn't shine, reflect light, liked dipped finishes, is more durable and is the way to would go if you plan on keeping the firearm. You may not be able to recoup your investment in the cerakote finish if you decide to sell the gun in the future.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Another option: Duracoat which can be applied without special equipment.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

IMG_1679 (002).JPG

I had my Mossberg dipped by a local guy and love it!! :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

Another vouch for Black Dove Customs.

ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

Coating is more durable. But I love my Camo dipped shotgun. Mine Camo does not shine
Mike
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

I've ran both. Cerakote is not bullet proof as some will have you believe, I've had 6 guns CKd and it does come off in wear areas. My youth 870 is CKd in Patriot brown and it's held up better than paint, but not much better than my dipped guns as I have scratches here and there, wear on moving parts, and wear on the crown of the choke. It's good stuff no doubt, but it's just a coating. I'd go with what you like the appearance of best and hunt the snot out of it. I personally like both on the same gun. To me CKd metal and dipped plastic is really cool looking. It's also worth mentioning that air dry CK on plastics is not all that tough like the heat cure is on metal.
taylorjones20

Post by taylorjones20 »

I like cerakote on all the metal
ccleroy

Dipping vs Coating

Post by ccleroy »

decoykrvr wrote:Cerakote doesn't shine, reflect light, liked dipped finishes, is more durable and is the way to would go if you plan on keeping the firearm.

This couldn't be farther from the truth, none of my hydro dipped guns reflect or shine....some of them are going on 20 years dipped, still solid and durable......are they as durable as cerakote of course not but the ones I have done are tough enough to withstand me trampling in the woods with them.

ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

ccleroy wrote: September 6th, 2017, 10:55 pm
decoykrvr wrote:Cerakote doesn't shine, reflect light, liked dipped finishes, is more durable and is the way to would go if you plan on keeping the firearm.

This couldn't be farther from the truth, none of my hydro dipped guns reflect or shine....some of them are going on 20 years dipped, still solid and durable......are they as durable as cerakote of course not but the ones I have done are tough enough to withstand me trampling in the woods with them.

Nice camo Dip Job
Mike
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I am getting ready to have my extra 11-87 Dipped by Ethridge Hdryo Dipping. I was referred by Preacher Richie about these guys.
Mike
PALongspur

Post by PALongspur »

deerhunt1988 wrote: August 27th, 2017, 3:47 pm Another vouch for Black Dove Customs.

Really digging this!

What colors are they?
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

PALongspur wrote: September 20th, 2017, 3:45 pm
deerhunt1988 wrote: August 27th, 2017, 3:47 pm Another vouch for Black Dove Customs.

Really digging this!

What colors are they?
Patriot Brown & OD Green

Return to “Gun Talk”