870 Recoil Pad?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

870 Recoil Pad?

Post by CamoMan4025 »

So I have several 870's. Over the years the recoil pads have become.....ugh.......gummy. It seems like they break down somehow and get real tacky and sticky feeling. I have an 870 shotgun for work and the armorer replaced the recoil pad about 6 months ago. I really haven't thought too much about it until a few minutes ago. I had my 20 gauge laying on our spare bed for a couple months and it somehow melted or whatever the black rubber material onto a nice comforter. Well, I'm in the dog house now.

So has this happened to anyone else? If so, is there a reason or preventive measures that can cause it from happening?

Thanks,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
crenshawco

Re: 870 Recoil Pad?

Post by crenshawco »

I've got a couple of 870s and haven't experienced anything like that. Are you getting some kind of oils or any cleaning chemicals on them that could be causing it?
2Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by 2Shooter »

I had a Rem 700 with a super cell pad do that on the carpet of my gun safe!!! Steve :banghead:
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Yep, I've got an 1187 that sticks to the carpet in my gun safe. Feels like it is nailed down when I try to pick it up.
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

That's just typical with Remington's super cell pads, I've got a 11-87 Super Mag that I bought in 2006 and the pad is starting to break down on it, but it's not as bad as some I've seen.
coconut

Post by coconut »

I had a Remington 700 get gummy like that didn't notice it until it stuck to my leather truck seat. Never did get it all off. Gun wasn't but 2 or 3 years old
coconut

Post by coconut »

Also had a gun sling that was made out of that supper cell stuff that stuck to and ate through the varnish on a model 12.
Andy S.

Post by Andy S. »

Remington had a bad run on the recoil pads, I had a few that did the same thing. I called Remington few years back, and they sent me two new recoil pads free of charge to replace the ones that had starting "leaking" so to speak.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Return to “Gun Talk”