Selling guns

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
55esox

Selling guns

Post by 55esox »

Guys,

I am in the process of getting some guns passed down to me, and some of them I will not have much of a use for. 1 gun in particular is a model 42 410 that shows very little use. There is a Cabela's close by that had 2 identical guns in their library but were not in the best shape. From what they were asking based upon their condition ($1300 and $1800 respectively, one was in better shape), I am thinking that is a starting point. My questions are...

1). What would be a good way to get this gun appraised?
2). Does anyone have experience selling a gun to Cabelas? Do they offer a fair value?
3). If I go via selling this on the web, what are the better sites?

I am more of a gun buyer then seller, so this is a bit new for me. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
toasty

Re: Selling guns

Post by toasty »

1 - You can buy a blue book of gun values, or see what they are selling for on sites like Gunbroker.
2 - My experience with cabelas is they do offer fair trade value, but that will still be 30-50% lower than private party sale value.
3 - Best way to sell it is to list it in local online classified gun ads. That might be craiglist or there might be something different or better in your area. Second best way is to list it on gunbroker or similar website.

When you sell the gun online, you take it to an FFL and pay them to send it to your buyer's FFL. I would caution to only take money order as payment to protect from fraudulent CC charges. I have sold a few guns with gunbroker and it is a little bit of a hassle, but I get a little more money for the more unique or valuable guns.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If I were selling the gun, I would post photos of it at several sites, and announce its sale on gunbroker. I would then offer it for sale on gunbroker in an auction with no reserve and start it at a penny. The important things to do are use high quality photos, offer a 3 day inspection with absolute right of insured return for any reason at buyer's expense, and payment by USPS money order only. Toasty's advice should be followed about shipment.
Cabelas would be quick and easy, but with downside of getting a lower price than at auction. I helped a family sell a double two years ago on gunbroker and the gun sold for $24,000.00. The auction started at a penny with no reserve.
55esox

Post by 55esox »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Check out Gunbroker web site. There will be several 42s on there for sale. The Winchester model 42 is verrrry much in demand in the collector's market.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Send me a pic of that model 42, if you would .. I would like to see it. I love those stinkin shotguns and am always open to purchasing one.. PM me for my email.
Thanks, Mike.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
hookinembig

Post by hookinembig »

You can try on Armslist.com I have sold a few on there. Also in Viriginia we have VAGuntrader.com and you may have something like this in your state as well. Good luck hopefully it sells quick for you. Just make sure if you sell it private party make sure they can provide either a voter registration card or concealed carry permit to make sure they are not a felon. If you really want to be on the safe side take it to a FFL dealer to do the exchange so they can run a background check on the buyer.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Gunbroker has a search function for completed auctions. Just search for your item and see what they go for to determine where to set your reserve. You can ship a shotgun for less than $40 including buying a cheap hard case to ship it in. The post office is the best shipper for long guns. Just wrap the gun case in cardboard and use their label for priority mail with insurance. Buyers really appreciate a tracking number. The hard plastic gun case is necessary to make sure the gun isn't damaged by gorillas during shipping.

Make sure buyers know all you're willing to do is ship a gun with a copy of your driver's license and a copy of the receiving FFL in the package.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you are member of Amazon Prime, have Amazon send the seller this case to ship the long gun. All you pay is the cost of the case. If a shotgun, insist on wrapping in paper or bubble wrap before putting in case. I prefer paper on metal parts then bubble wrap which sometimes has a release agent on the plastic. I've heard a report or two of the agent rubbing off on to metal surfaces. If the barrel can be removed, have that done, too. A mounted barrel can act as a lever and break a stock. My lgs received a pump in a hard case with the barrel in place that somehow slid in the box and the stock broke. Never underestimate the power and creativity of a shipper to damage a gun in transit.
https://www.amazon.com/Condition-Black- ... astic+case
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Thanks to those who responded with their personal experiences, I have considered using gunbroker to sell a couple items and this has been extremely helpful to read.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
Wolframfan

Post by Wolframfan »

Jeepers Gil, that picture brings tears to my eyes!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you do sell online, make it clear that you will only send to an FFL that accepts a gun sold by a non-FFL holder but with a photocopy of seller's driver's license as proof of seller's id. If the buyer wants it shipped from an FFL holder, he pays that cost as well. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

That is true. FFL holders can get on a weird power trip, requiring things that are not in the rules.

Return to “Gun Talk”