Remington model 7

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Remington model 7

Post by Turkinator »

I'm in the market for a rifle to deer hunt Alabama and Kentucky. Any of you guys have experience with the Remington mod 7? Thinking about a 7mm08
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Remington model 7

Post by pedro »

Don't own one. Shot a few. They are nice and the 7 08 will work well.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I own one in 6mm, and have shot probably 4 or 5 others....6mm, .243, 7mm-08, .260. They were all shooters. I really like how compact they are. Hard to imagine an 18" barrel will perform like those guns are capable of performing. I'd recommend one.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

I have 2 in 300rsaum and 7mm saum and both are extremely nice , real accurate and
easy to handle.
My cousin has a youth in 7mm-08 and his two boys both learned on it . It is a deer killer.
Last edited by hookedspur on September 24th, 2016, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Waddle Whacker wrote:I own one in 6mm, and have shot probably 4 or 5 others....6mm, .243, 7mm-08, .260. They were all shooters. I really like how compact they are. Hard to imagine an 18" barrel will perform like those guns are capable of performing. I'd recommend one.
You're speaking my language now. I've had a half dozen of them over the years, and never a bad one. Best rifle for the value I can think of.
I hear ya WW. I've taken several to long range matches just for chits and grins, and watch the old pros shake their heads and say, THAT gun ain't supposed to be doing that!
Lily's little 260 shoots a ragged hole at a hundred, with the first loading I put in it. 42grns of 4064, under a 120 grn sierra.
Took a couple deer with it pushing 400, so yea, they will shoot.
Love them little jewels!! :thumbup:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

My son had one as his first rifle. It was a 243. It was a great gun, we ended up selling it for him to upgrade to a 270. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Thanks guys,
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Love mine in 260. I did a few mod's to mine and it is a dream to hunt with, but a nightmare for deer.

ALL ARE 3 SHOT GROUPS!

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

That's pretty slick, pullit! What all did you do to it?
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

260 or 7mm08 or 308? I won't be reloading so what would be your top pick for a factory round
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well, I really don't think you can go wrong with any caliber in those sweet little guns.
Personally, I'm a little partial to 26s. :mrgreen:
Here are 4 of my 26s.
260 on the far left, 6.5x 284, 264 Win Mag, and my brand new 26 Nosler.
Attachments
20160927_210232_1475167654561.jpg
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Huge diff in the size of that 26 Nosler vs the 260 Rem. That thing is a screamer. How's the recoil?
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Waddle Whacker wrote:That's pretty slick, pullit! What all did you do to it?
It started life as a 308, so I pulled the barrel, trued the action (cut the face square and lapped the lugs), and screwed a 22" take off mountain rifle 260 barrel on. I milled the bolt handle and then sent it and had the bolt body fluted. I made a light weight bolt shroud and installed a light weight firing pin. I bought a High Tech light weight stock, (which comes unfinished) and I installed a recoil pad on it, and had a buddy of mine paint it. Then I pillar bedded and glassed the action.
It now has a Leupold 4.5-14 on it with a custom turret, just dial the yardage and shoot. I have shot it out to over 400 yards and it is still sub 1/2 moa (group was 1 3/4" @400). There were guys at the range with heavy barrels that were not close to what this thing was doing. After looking at the targets they ask what I was shooting, they could not believe it until I put up another group for them.
Last edited by pullit on September 30th, 2016, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Tommy,
I am a big fan of the 6.5 cal as well. I have a buddy that has a 6.5 STW that I am thinking about but not sure what I would do with it.

killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Remington model 7

Post by killerstump »

I'd like own 1 of these. In a 221.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

I have one in 7-08 and absolutely love it. I shoot 120 grain Barnes TTSX and have had every deer shot fall within 20 yards. I have killed them out to 320 yards. Awesome little guns.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Spuriosity wrote:Huge diff in the size of that 26 Nosler vs the 260 Rem. That thing is a screamer. How's the recoil?
Well Wes, I told Hoobilly yesterday,... it was about the same as my 264. NOT!!! Shot them back to back today. The 264 was a baby compared to the 26. Probably cause the 264 is a lb or more heavier, and 20 grns less powder. :mrgreen: It's not too violent though.
Think I shook something loose in the cheap scope though. It was consistently shooting half inch, and jumped to 2 inch.
Still waiting on my new rings to mount my new Vortex, and try again.

Pullit, I know you are a mountain of a man, but those STWs,.... HURT!!! They are violent to say the least.
I have a 7mm, off a 700 action, with a 28" Shilen, 1-11 twist, 3/4" at the muzzle. 10 1/2 lb. It hurts as about as much as anything I've shot.
Nasty recoil. SOB will shoot though. 1/4" if you're man enough to hang on! :LMAO: :LMAO: Fast too.
120grn Nosler BTs @3900, and 140s @3600.

BTW, Let's go shoot some trap one day. Give me a holler.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

We can shoot trap, skeet, or sporting, I will even come up to Prairie Plains but it will be last part of the month, as I am getting ready to head to South Dakota pheasant hunting, (during our 35th wedding anniversary) so when I get back, me and momma have to spend a little time together.

killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Remington model 7

Post by killerstump »

pullit wrote:Tommy,
I am a big fan of the 6.5 cal as well. I have a buddy that has a 6.5 STW that I am thinking about but not sure what I would do with it.
I bum and use my uncles 7mm stw often. I have plenty of guns but i like that thing.

pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

killerstump wrote:
I bum and use my uncles 7mm stw often. I have plenty of guns but i like that thing.

Got a buddy that has a 7mm RUM, that is almost too much of a good thing....

killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Remington model 7

Post by killerstump »

pullit wrote:
killerstump wrote:

Got a buddy that has a 7mm RUM, that is almost too much of a good thing....
I Shot 1 of them with a fancy dial the yardage kinda scope shot a doe with it at 342 yards put it on like 8 clicks put cross hairs on deer boom she hit the dirt gun didn't kick at all but I think my ears was bleeding.

Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I've said it before, and I'll say again,.... if I could have only one rifle,... it would be a Model 7!!!
I've had 5 Model 600s in my day, and used one in 243 exclusively for two decades for deer and what not.
The Model 7 took the place of the 600, and does as good, if not better than the 600. Lengths and weight are identical, unless you get the mag version.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

pullit, that is about as close to the perfect deer rifle as anyone can get. Nice! It's hard to get anything like that in LH, so I had to settle for an A-Bolt in 25 WSSM.

For factory ammo, Remington's .260 120gr AccuTip is excellent. I killed a pile of deer with it out of a Savage. I swear it did better than the .300 mag I used before it.
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

Big Green made the perfect lightweight big game rifle and didn't market it worth a darn..the model 7 in 300 SAUM in stainless synthetic is the ultimate rifle. How this rifle was treated was sad, it's lightweight, super accurate, easy to point and a great cartridge ..all went no where but those that own one have a gem and love them..very difficult to find but worth the try..
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I have shot one Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. It was a nice shooting rifle.
Mike

Return to “Gun Talk”