OU shooters, single or double trigger?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Thinking of next spring and a OU for my girls. Do you prefer single or double triggers? I'm thinking that the reach for the front trigger may be a reach for smaller hands but I would like to hear some likes and dislikes.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
DocHolliday

Re: OU shooters, single or double trigger?

Post by DocHolliday »

Double. Switching that barrel selector can be a bear under stress. That sort of limits you to the CZ Mallard. I set one up for my Dad. Only problem was like every O/U I've set up, if you set top barrel "on" at 40, the bottom barrel shoots as much as 5-6" low at 20. I have been much more successful setting up SxS's for this application. (I've done about 15 of them now and only have on SxS that's giving me trouble)
NRA Benefactor Life Member
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I shoot O/U all the time, sign me up for single trigger please.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Double triggers on my sxs.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Double triggers for me on sxs.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

I shoot O/U all the time, sign me up for single trigger please.
Post Posted: May 19th, 2015, 12:55 pm
Pullit, my kids did better w/double triggers. It was just easier, "front trigger for close and back for far".

Bigspur: To my knowledge, the CZ Mallard is the only currently produced O/U with double triggers. Some have stated that the triggers are rough and heavy. My limited (one gun) experience hasn't been the same as their's.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

I'm not at all aginst a side by side. What are some good ones?
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Value or quality, or both? What gauge?
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I am very preferential to the CZ Bobwhite for a SxS hunting gun.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

The Bobwhite is probably the best mix of quality/price especially if only to be used as a turkey gun. I've set up over 12 for such. In 20 gauge, you can camo dip, buy choke tubes, put sights on and swivels in for about $1100 for a new gun. Leave out the camo and deduct about $250. All in all, it is my favorite to work with.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

DocHolliday wrote:The Bobwhite is probably the best mix of quality/price especially if only to be used as s turkey gun. I've set up over 12 for such. In 20 gauge, you can camo dip, buy choke tubes, put sights on an swivels in for about $1100 for a new gun. Leave out the camo and deduct about $250. All in all, it is my favorite to work with.
Yep. I got my 202B from Jons Sportshop in Wisconsin shipped to Alabama for 530 bucks.

I am going to start building it this summer. Probably going to SumToy for. Barrel chop to 24 inches and a FF3 installation.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Best for the money.. it will be pure turkey. Not worried about the camo. 20ga is what they like. They also like rib mounted fiber optic sights. Are the ribs on side by sides high enough to allow mounting these?
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Here's my little 28 Bobwhite . Front and rear drill and tap fiberoptic sights.

GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

My take on double triggers is borrowed from the writings of Col. Askins, a shotgun expert back before WWII. He observed that had the single trigger been invented first, the introduction of double triggers would have been hailed as an improvement. I'm a double trigger man on both sxs and o/u having converted my Beretta 686 to double triggers. If one's finger can reach a single trigger, then there is no problem reaching the front trigger on a double trigger set up. If it be the case and one can't reach the front trigger, then the stock is too long. In the heat of a turkey surprise appearance, it's a lot easier to remove the safety and pick out a trigger than it is to operate a barrel selector while taking off the safety. ("Up and to the right or is it to the left?" Putt. Bam. "Damn".)

I have a CZ Bobwhite 28, but probably will never convert it to a pure turkey gun. I'm pretty happy with single-shots at this stage of my turkey career. If I were to convert a CZ 20 gauge Bobwhite, I don't know if there is that much to gain by cutting it off to 24" as the barrels are 26". Deduct from the overall length the 3+" that a pump or auto requires for the cycling of shells, a 26" barreled double gun has the overall length of a 23" barreled pump or auto. I'd consider hunting it a season or two before doing a chop job. YMMV. The choke system on the 28 gauge Bobwhite occupies a bulged portion of the muzzle. If I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't notice. Not sure about the 20 gauge as I've only briefly held one. Here's a good, in depth review of the Bobwhite. http://www.members.shaw.ca/sharptail/CZReview.pdf Gil
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

The 20's chokes are similar. Your experience with barrel selectors mirrors ours to a "T".
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I shoot an O/U for turkeys (12 ga Beretta 686 UL). It has a single trigger, but I would much prefer double triggers. I remember now that Gil had mentioned that he had had his converted. Need to look into that.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Spur, Rich Cole of Cole Gunsmithing, is the man who did my triggers. He's the gunsmith for BeretttaUSA. He has a Maine and Naples, FL location. If you are thinking about doing it, now's the time between seasons. He has a fast turnaround regardless of seasons. Gil
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

DocHolliday wrote:Double. Switching that barrel selector can be a bear under stress. That sort of limits you to the CZ Mallard. I set one up for my Dad. Only problem was like every O/U I've set up, if you set top barrel "on" at 40, the bottom barrel shoots as much as 5-6" low at 20. I have been much more successful setting up SxS's for this application. (I've done about 15 of them now and only have on SxS that's giving me trouble)
Doc, you have had much better luck than I have at getting a sxs to shoot both barrels to the same POA. I've tested 6 different guns and haven't found but one that would shoot both barrels pretty close without modifications. I suspect that's because you have picked a great gun to work with. My one gun that shoots right is a CZ 202 Jon's Special. I haven't made it into a turkey gun because of the weight, but could have saved myself a lot of trouble by using it.

Most have the tendency for the right barrel to shoot right and left barrel to shoot left. Even a fairly expensive Beretta 626 did this. Only one, a Spanish gun had the opposite problem, but it did it with any load I tried. The problem is always much worse with the heavy turkey loads than anything else. Most are set up to shoot field loads and a light gun has trouble centering both barrels with turkey loads.

As to the original question, I'd definitely go with double triggers if at all possible. Good luck!
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

PCP:
I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but, I'm not trying to make both barrels shoot to the SAME POI. One at 40 and one at 20. (I don't know because I haven't even shot both barrels at the same distance to see if they shoot to the same POA). I've done the CZ's, three CHEAP Stoegers, and a NOT cheap Berreta. The only one that has caused trouble is the Beretta. An additional piece of information is that in the right barr, I'm using VERY open chokes.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

Interesting info, Doc! I simply can't see well enough to shoot without some kind of electronic sight, so I've put a Burris FF on all the ones I've tried to make into turkey guns. But I've tested some of them by lining up the bead as best I could. It sure seems that the price of the gun has little to do with how they shoot.

I've also set up the right barrel with an open choke, though for most it's been a modified. I think I'd have to go to skeet to use the 202 - the pattern it threw with tss in the factory full was extremely tight.

I made the Spanish gun useable by filing the chokes, and have killed a few turkeys with it. Also killed some with the Yildiz, but I'm not really satisfied with the performance of either. So I'm still working on the perfect turkey gun. It's good to have a quest for the off season. :)

I'm working with a 425 beretta now, and it shows promise. To those thinking of chopping off the barrels, my advice is to think carefully about it. Shortening the barrels seems to really increase the tendency for right barrel to shoot right and left to shoot left. I may yet do it with the Spanish; that might make it to shoot straight. :)

Good hunting to all.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

PCP:
Differences- more open right choke, rifle sights, lead or Hevishot in right barrel. I'll soon find out if chopping changes POI.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

GLS wrote:Spur, Rich Cole of Cole Gunsmithing, is the man who did my triggers. He's the gunsmith for BeretttaUSA. He has a Maine and Naples, FL location. If you are thinking about doing it, now's the time between seasons. He has a fast turnaround regardless of seasons. Gil
Thanks Gil.
DocHolliday

Post by DocHolliday »

Sweet rig Gil! How does it shoot to POA top and bottom barrels?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Doc, never patterned it. It's a little bird gun--quail, dove, snipe and woodcock. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Might as well be a single. All that which choke business flies out the window when it's killing time. I just aim lower when they're closer; regardless of what kind of gun.

Return to “Gun Talk”