OU shooters, single or double trigger?

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: OU shooters, single or double trigger?

Post by Spuriosity »

howl wrote:Might as well be a single. All that which choke business flies out the window when it's killing time.
I disagree completely. It take a lot of effort to get a double gun set up properly, but it can be done. I've got my Beretta 686UL shooting to same POI with two different chokes and weights of payload, Lower barrel, shooting 1.625 oz TSS 9x8.5s patterns well to 60, but is very tight inside 40 yds. The upper barrel, shooting 1.25 oz of reclaimed TSS 9x8.5s patterns well to 40 and is much more forgiving in close. I keep the gun set to fire the open barrel first in case one sneaks up on me or pops up close. Then I have plenty of time to think and switch to the long barrel if he's way out there. Works ok, but double triggers would be better.

But you're right that with a single barrel, aiming lower when they're close is a good plan.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Spuriosity wrote:But you're right that with a single barrel, aiming lower when they're close is a good plan.
I'd never given much thought about shooting a bird in a place other than neck or head until Ronnie detailed the killing of a close in bird by holding above the wing on his back. At first thought, a body shot at close range sounds disastrous if one wants an edible bird. However, this a large area, well away from the breast. It is also more forgiving for aiming at close range where a head or neck on a tight pattern may miss by an inch or two without hitting the bird. Not so with a back hold above the wingbutt which misses the breast completely as long as the pattern is fist-tight. Gil
TheWoodsman

Post by TheWoodsman »

Single for me.
FalconIII

Post by FalconIII »

For the OU shooters on this forum, what choke do you use for your close barrel? Cylinder? Modified? I know that this is off topic for this thread but thought that I had the right group of people here to answer it. Thank you!
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I started out with lead shot and cylinder choke in an effort to maximize close range pattern spread (after a 10 yd miss with my 11-87). The cylinder choke with lead 7.5s did have a very forgiving pattern in close but ran out of pattern density at 20 yds. That left an awfully big gap between that barrel and my tight barrel that was more optimized for 40-60 yds shooting. So on to imp. cyl - still forgiving in close but ran out of pattern density at 25 yds. Then tried mod, imp mod, and finally full with 1.25 oz of lead 7s in an attempt to stretch the close barrel all the way to 40 yds. But 35 was all I could manage. Finally settled on 1.25 oz reclaimed TSS 9 x 8.5s through a lt. mod choke. It gives reasonable close range patterns but still does 110/10 @ 40.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Single trigger camp here
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun

Return to “Gun Talk”