Urgent announcement from Environmetal

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM HEVI-Shot

At temperatures below freezing, our 12-gauge, 3-inch HEVI-Metal® and HEVI-Steel® shotshell wads may crack on ignition. This may cause a “squib load”, with an off sound and reduced power.

While this squib load will not damage your gun in any way, it can result in a wad stuck in your barrel, because the force of some of these shells may not be strong enough to push the wad all the way out of the muzzle.

The danger comes if you fire again without clearing a stuck wad from your barrel. This can cause barrel damage or injury. If you hear an off sound with no power, please stop shooting! First, unload your gun – and then check your barrel for obstructions before you fire again!

Please do not shoot these shotshells. Instead, please contact us for replacement shells. We have fixed this problem in current production.

After we were contacted about squib loads, we began an intensive investigation that led to an understanding of the problem by the evening of 19 November. We want to get this notice out to our customers immediately. Please share it with your hunting friends.

The wads we bought between July and mid-November used a low-density polyethylene plastic. We switched yesterday to a linear low density polyethylene, which performs safely in all weather, including very cold weather. To understand the difference, please go to:

http://www.primepolymer.co.jp/english/t ... pe/05.html

Only 12-gauge, 3-inch HEVI-Steel or HEVI-Metal® shotshells with these lot numbers may have the problem:

201576 – 201584 301571 – 301609 401335 – 401345 500001 - 500016
201600 – 201637 301643 – 301659 401381 - 401422
201640 – 201659 301672 – 301689 401437 - 401463
201665 – 201671 301698 – 301701 401466 - 401486
201677 – 201680 301713 – 301722 401489 - 401504
201683 – 201699 301725 – 301726 401507 - 401519
201702 – 201722 301730 - 301734
201732 – 201736

The lot number is stamped on the inside top flap of your box of shotshells.

Our highest priories are your safety and your satisfaction with our products. We will do everything we can to get you the product you deserve if you contact us for replacement shells. For your safety, when you contact us we will arrange to have UPS pick up your unused shells (please put them in a

shippable cardboard box such as our master carton) at no charge to you, and we will ship your replacement shells to you at no charge. Contact Kelly Sorensen, VP of Sales and Marketing by phone: 541.367.3522, or by email: sales@hevishot.com.

Ralph Nauman
CEO
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Urgent announcement from Environmetal

Post by Grumpy »

200936 is what is stamped on mine, wads make a hell of a difference with patterns, how can these clown change wads and expect the same test results.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

You'd think that a company of that size would have the forethought to test their loads in the conditions under which they'd be used.

Glad they are trying to make things right and hope nobody has been hurt.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

It's unlike EM to admit to problems, so this must really concern them. They've lost a lot of trust out there the last few years, so maybe in some way this will help restore some of it.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

hawglips wrote:It's unlike EM to admit to problems, so this must really concern them.
Kinda where I'm at. Can't help but think that someone out there somewhere had a pretty serious incident and their legal department is on the defensive.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:violent1:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

A non-issue for me. I don't and have no intention of ever shooting anything EM produces.
M Sharpe

Post by M Sharpe »

I've shot them the last 2 years, but not any more. When 30% of your pattern is completely gone from one lot number to the next....something is not right. I'm not talking about outside that 10' circle. I mean gone! After you bought a 2 1/4 oz load and it's like you're really shooting a 2 oz load! Then when you pick up the wads and what is suppose to be the same load, the wads are different. Hmmm... Not to mention they are offering big rebates. Kinda like we goofed and want these shells gone NOW! Then when you call them and they say," Well, what do you want us to do"?? And, they swear up and down nothing has changed!! Certainly not send me anymore of those sorry loads!!! Go tell that to someone else while I hold the proof in my hand....
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I saw on another forum where a poster had bought two flats of the bad shells, contacted EM and was told two flats of the improved shells would be delivered to his door Monday and the UPS man would pick up his two flats of his bad shells. Gil
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Some chinaman slip in some homemade wads outta recycled milk cartons?????
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

:slap: I hate to hear it .
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

M Sharpe wrote:I've shot them the last 2 years, but not any more. When 30% of your pattern is completely gone from one lot number to the next....something is not right. I'm not talking about outside that 10' circle. I mean gone! After you bought a 2 1/4 oz load and it's like you're really shooting a 2 oz load! Then when you pick up the wads and what is suppose to be the same load, the wads are different. Hmmm... Not to mention they are offering big rebates. Kinda like we goofed and want these shells gone NOW! Then when you call them and they say," Well, what do you want us to do"?? And, they swear up and down nothing has changed!! Certainly not send me anymore of those sorry loads!!! Go tell that to someone else while I hold the proof in my hand....
Agree 100%. I have bought some older lots that I know shoot well from the Winchester longbeard crowd. When I run out in a few years I will go to Nitro. I do not min spending a little money on a good shell, but not one that I never know what I will get from box to box.

Sent from the Strut Zone
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

M Sharpe wrote:I've shot them the last 2 years, but not any more. When 30% of your pattern is completely gone from one lot number to the next....something is not right. I'm not talking about outside that 10' circle. I mean gone! After you bought a 2 1/4 oz load and it's like you're really shooting a 2 oz load! Then when you pick up the wads and what is suppose to be the same load, the wads are different. Hmmm... Not to mention they are offering big rebates. Kinda like we goofed and want these shells gone NOW! Then when you call them and they say," Well, what do you want us to do"?? And, they swear up and down nothing has changed!! Certainly not send me anymore of those sorry loads!!! Go tell that to someone else while I hold the proof in my hand....
:lol: Talk like that could get you banned from some forums :lol:
M Sharpe

Post by M Sharpe »

Oh well.................I guess sometimes the truth is painful!!!!
DC1.

Post by DC1. »

I was telling a friend about this and he told me he had several shells out of a case do this last duck season.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

GLS wrote:I saw on another forum where a poster had bought two flats of the bad shells, contacted EM and was told two flats of the improved shells would be delivered to his door Monday and the UPS man would pick up his two flats of his bad shells. Gil
Good form.

Return to “Gun Talk”