Ruger LC9S Pro Review

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Ruger LC9S Pro Review

Post by HunterGKS »

I picked up my new Ruger LC9S Pro today from my gun guy after a 3 month wait. I also picked up a box of 115 grain FMJ target ammo. After reading the owner’s manual for the pistol & Crimson Trace laser sight, I went out back to my firing range to check out the gun & the laser sight. I have no experience with lasers & didn’t know what to expect but was a little disappointed in the fact that, in broad daylight, you can’t see the laser. I went into the barn & it shows up real well so I think I may go back out this evening when it’s darker to test it out. It’s a little hard to see but the laser on/off button is just below the trigger guard & the mag release button. The laser is activated when you grip the gun & turned off when you relax your grip. You don’t have to exert any extra pressure; just a normal grip turns it on.

The clip on the left is the one that came with the gun with the finger extension attached. The one on the right is one my gun guy had with a longer extended which fits my hand a lot better.

To give you an idea of the size of the gun, I wear a size 12 ring. Normally, I wouldn’t have my finger on the trigger, but I had the slide back & the gun was unloaded. I am right handed but couldn’t take the pic with my left, hence, holding the gun in my left hand.

I filled both clips with the max of 7 rounds & fired from about 7 yards using the iron sights. Everything I’ve read says that most self defense occurrences are at 20’ so that’s what I went with. Right out of the box, I thought the gun pretty well; it’s the shooter that needs more practice. All 14 rounds were within the 8 ring & better with 4 in the 8, 4 in the 9, 3 in the 10, & 3 in the bull’s-eye.

The next 14 shots were also all within the 8 ring & better.

The last 7 shots were getting better with 4 in the 9 & 3 in the 10. I have ammo coming in Monday & will be able to practice more hopefully getting a lot better.

All in all, I was pleased with how the gun handles, the ease of use, the weight, & the out-of-the-box accuracy of the iron sights. As soon as I can test the laser sight, I will post the results. I highly recommend the Ruger LC9S Pro as a small concealed carry pistol.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Ruger LC9S Pro Review

Post by OLE RASPY »

I'm not gonna stand in front of you shooting that. Good shootin. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote:I'm not gonna stand in front of you shooting that. Good shootin. :thumbup:
Thx. I do hope to get better. It's like the old saw:

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?? PRACTICE! PRACTICE!! PRACTICE!!!!
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Last night, at about 7:30, I went back out to my range to test the laser sight. It was still fairly light but the laser did show up well. I’m not sure if it was me or if the sight needs a little adjustment & I won’t be able to test any further until Monday as I ran out of ammo.

I fired 7 rounds with 2 “flyers” but 5 in a fairly tight group but a little low & to the right.

I also bought 2 holsters from DeSantis, 1 an inside the pocket & the other, inside the waistband.

I will be sending the pocket holster back because, IMHO, it was too bulky & not easy to draw.

This is the IWB which I will be using. It fits well, doesn’t feel uncomfortable (at least for the short time I wore it), & is easy to draw.

This side goes inside your pants against your body.

This side goes to the outside with your waistband inside the large part of the clip & your belt inside the small clip.

I tried it & it doesn’t feel uncomfortable but I will have to wear if for a longer period of time before I will pass final judgment.
George

ccleroy

Ruger LC9S Pro Review

Post by ccleroy »

The Lc9S is a solid carry gun, Ruger took the original Lc9 and revamped it, and they did a great job from the ones I've played with. That trigger on that gun got a major upgrade, which was terrible in the lc9. Good shooting.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx. The trigger pull was 1 of the selling points for me. A friend has an LC9 that I tried & it had a pretty hard pull.
George

allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

I'm glad to see it's working well for you George.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx Clark. I'm waiting for the UPS guy or as I like to call him, my "ammo guy." I have some 9mm FMJ, a box of 9mm HPs, some .223 ammo coming as well as a couple of loaders & some ammo boxes. He should be here any time now.

Question: The box of ammo that I shot Friday was FMC. Will it shoot any differently than FMJ rounds? I had never heard of FMC & had to look it up to see what it was.
George

allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

Question: The box of ammo that I shot Friday was FMC. Will it shoot any differently than FMJ rounds? I had never heard of FMC & had to look it up to see what it was.
Hey George,
Normally it will depend upon weight and velocity. The FMC rounds are normally designed for inside range use and "cleaner" than FMJ rounds.

I have a number of different brands of 9mm shells, with different weight bullets and velocities and most print differently. I'd recommend that you take a look at the Polycase Inceptor ammo. It is some of the most accurate I've found with very little recoil in my 9mm pistols http://polycaseammunition.com/

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Thx Clark. I have Winchester FMJ 115 grain @1190. They seem to shoot pretty well.

I had cataract surgery on my left eye Wed., 08/26/15, & the blurriness has pretty much cleared up as of Sat. 08/29 so I decided to do a little target shooting. I didn’t realize, but the extended mag actually holds 9 rounds. I shot 2 clips at the head & then 2 more at the body. All things considered, I think I shot pretty well. I adjusted the laser but it’s still too bright to test. I hope to get back out later this evening to see how it does.

George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Went out last evening & shot a couple of clips with the laser. I guess it’s time to get out the shooting vest & shot bags to steady the gun. I guess that’s the only way to get a real accurate idea of where the laser is hitting.

George

Return to “Gun Talk”