Be Careful Fellas

A discussion about Turkey guns, rifles, black powder, handguns, chokes, cleaning, and accessories.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Be Careful Fellas

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Pretty graphic footage.. For you muzzy hunters be careful.. Its like handloading at the bench.. Sometimes I feel rushed and walk away when shooting muzzies, just too much that can happen when feeling rushed..

vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Be Careful Fellas

Post by vaturkey »

He sure did ruin some good ML's !
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

120 grains of HS-6......

:shock:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Good info Tom. Never hurts to get reminded of the safety aspects of any type of weapon!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I've never really gotten into ML guns but I think we've all heard some horror stories...
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

I just mailed off a savage muzzleloader for a friend whose son double loaded it. No visual signs of damage as far as bulging barrel but it broke the safety mechanism. Scope busted up his face and even shooting at a deer he noticed recoil was brutal. Noticed 2 holes in the deer and knew right away what he had done.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

turkey_slayer wrote:I just mailed off a savage muzzleloader for a friend whose son double loaded it. No visual signs of damage as far as bulging barrel but it broke the safety mechanism. Scope busted up his face and even shooting at a deer he noticed recoil was brutal. Noticed 2 holes in the deer and knew right away what he had done.
Thank goodness it sounds as if he's alright. I am shocked both projectiles hit the animal. Everyone that does not have a witness mark needs to go make one.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

I'm surprised as well. Deer had to be close. Worse thing I ever did was shoot a solid aluminum ramroad which had to weigh 4000 grains or more on top of a 495gr bullet and 110gr of fffg. I was a long way back in the mtn and slipped on a rock under the snow and landed on my scope. I checked to see if the load had came unseated and touched one off in the prone position to make sure my scope was still on. I believe it knocked me out then I came to when my face buried in the snow. Snow had turned red from blood. Cut my nose real bad and had a head ache so bad it was worse than any migraine I've had. I eventually came to enough and went and checked to see if I hit the knot on the tree. Walked up and seen this shiny object sticking in the knot. I thought why in the hell did someone drive a stake in a tree way back in this mountain then it dawned on me it was my ramrod :? It was a custom muzzleloader with a fixed breech plug that was machined out. Surprised something didn't let go
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

turkey_slayer wrote:I'm surprised as well. Deer had to be close. Worse thing I ever did was shoot a solid aluminum ramroad which had to weigh 4000 grains or more on top of a 495gr bullet and 110gr of fffg. I was a long way back in the mtn and slipped on a rock under the snow and landed on my scope. I checked to see if the load had came unseated and touched one off in the prone position to make sure my scope was still on. I believe it knocked me out then I came to when my face buried in the snow. Snow had turned red from blood. Cut my nose real bad and had a head ache so bad it was worse than any migraine I've had. I eventually came to enough and went and checked to see if I hit the knot on the tree. Walked up and seen this shiny object sticking in the knot. I thought why in the hell did someone drive a stake in a tree way back in this mountain then it dawned on me it was my ramrod :? It was a custom muzzleloader with a fixed breech plug that was machined out. Surprised something didn't let go
Don't mean to laugh but would have been priceless on a deer.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:shock:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

I have a Smokeless barrel for my encore and Im bout half afraid to shoot it now . ;)
jasperjet

Post by jasperjet »

I always put a mark or piece of tape on the ramrod so I can see if it is double loaded. Smokeless mlers are scary.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

jasperjet wrote:I always put a mark or piece of tape on the ramrod so I can see if it is double loaded. Smokeless mlers are scary.
Nothing scary about a smokeless ML that was designed for smokeless IMO. But what is scary to me is all the guys out there that shoot smokeless through BP MLs - and many do. The video is impressive, but it would take a real dolt to shoot 120 gr of HS 6 through a BP ML or a shotgun for that matter. That's about a quadruple charge of powder for a shotgun. No wonder the guns blew up.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

WOW!!!! I'm going back to shooting a slingshot.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Spuriosity wrote:
jasperjet wrote:I always put a mark or piece of tape on the ramrod so I can see if it is double loaded. Smokeless mlers are scary.
Nothing scary about a smokeless ML that was designed for smokeless IMO. But what is scary to me is all the guys out there that shoot smokeless through BP MLs - and many do. The video is impressive, but it would take a real dolt to shoot 120 gr of HS 6 through a BP ML or a shotgun for that matter. That's about a quadruple charge of powder for a shotgun. No wonder the guns blew up.

It would be very hard to actually load a shotgun shell with that much powder.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

hawglips wrote:
Spuriosity wrote:

It would be very hard to actually load a shotgun shell with that much powder.

I doubled loaded a shell this year. When I went to seat the wad, it was too obvious that something was wrong as there was little room left for crimp. Switching powders by accident could prove very bad in shotshell reloading.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

No there not, you just gotta use your noggin
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Spuriosity wrote:
I think the message is two pronged.. A. For the guys trying to work up a load of smokeless for a blackpowder gun.. B.. For the guys that are naive enough to go buy a jug of Hodgdon powder labeled something other than Pyrodex or 777 thinking that is what they bought measuring up and firing.. That or telling your kid to grab the jug of powder on the shelf and load up 100 grains and go hunting.

Return to “Gun Talk”