Osceola

The official Grand Slam discussion area.
slayerrd

Osceola

Post by slayerrd »

I'm needing an osceola to complete my archery grand slam. Does anyone have any info or tips? I really don't like the idea of spending $2000 on an outfitter but that may be my only option. If anyone knows of any cheaper outfitters or places where I could pay a trespass fee it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Osceola

Post by OLE RASPY »

I don't have any info on wma's but I do on a outfitter.
Me and a buddy went to st. cloud florida in 2011 and killed birds.
We hunted on the Doc Partin Ranch/Canoe Creek Outfitters.
Costed $1500 for 1 bird, then I don't know bout now. John Partin is a super nice guy. They treated us well
and also fed us good. If memory serves me correctly I think it was a 3 day hunt but we only stayed one day and night cause we killed our birds that evening when we got there so we left out the next morning. Contact # is (407)908-6574. Ask for john. They also have a website. I recommend them that is if you go the outfitter route. Good luck on whatever you choose. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I hunted with "hookspur" .. Doc, 3 different times in the Lakeland FL area and always a great time!! 1 bird $1500(he pays the landowner dearly for that also) and is a guaranteed hunt :thumbup:
Look him up here, or p.m. me for info, and I know he is booked or was, for this spring!!
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

I just spoke to hookspur "Doc" and he just acquired some more property and is looking for a few more guys for 2016-2017.
He books fast and is one hell of a nice guy!
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

X3 on Doc/Hookspur. He guided me to an Osceola last year to complete my Grand Slam. Nice guy, and a turkey killer.Image
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Uncle Nicky wrote:X3 on Doc/Hookspur. He guided me to an Osceola last year to complete my Grand Slam. Nice guy, and a turkey killer.Image

I was in camp and took this picture and a fine bird as well on this trip
And look forward to another hunt with Doc as well
slayerrd

Post by slayerrd »

Thanks guys.
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

hookedspur wrote:
Uncle Nicky wrote:X3 on Doc/Hookspur. He guided me to an Osceola last year to complete my Grand Slam. Nice guy, and a turkey killer.

I was in camp and took this picture and a fine bird as well on this trip
And look forward to another hunt with Doc as well
Yes you did. Thank you sir! :thumbup:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Glad Doc get recognition on here. He has been really good to me and GN. :thumbup:

I live and hunt in Florida and would hire Doc to guide me. :mrgreen:
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Thanks guys! I've been doing these hunts for a lot of years. We've stacked up a pile of turkeys in that time, and I've also met many great people and some real characters along the way...all of whom I consider to be friends!! The memory of killing my first Osceola still burns brightly in my brain, and it's been fun helping others complete their Grand Slams, too. I'm just not sure who that fat guy is in the picture with Nick....didn't realize how much weight I'd gained after my rotator cuff surgery. :shock: This year I'm coming into the season as a mere shadow of my former self, and with the shoulder almost 100% healthy I'm really looking forward to it all. Hope I get the chance to share a campfire and a story or two with some of you before it ends.
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

Florida had 40+ WMAs that you don't need to apply for. I think that some are bow only and some have daily quotas but I've never had trouble getting in to gun or mzldr hunt, so you shouldn't have a problem finding public Land with bow.
Here's my experience with Osceolas and it might just be my experiences. I might have found the 4 dumbest ones in Florida but from my experience:
1. You must scout for tracks, dusting areas, food, research! This includes talking to area biologists and wildlife technicians.
2. You must roost the birds! And expect to have your boots in water when you do.
3. Scout mornings BEFORE HUNTING! They are patternable with scouting. Expect to get your feet wet.
4. When you start hunting, Give the birds Time To Work! Call a little and LISTEN A LOT. Expect to get your feet wet.
If I had 3 days to hunt, 1 of those would be spent scouting! 2 days if I had to.

Return to “Gobbler Nation Grand Slams”