All day of heavy rain

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

All day of heavy rain

Post by Jaybird »

I am on one of my earlier Kansas trips the weather forecast for the day was miserable, cold and heavy rain. Waking up in my SUV, the weather forecast was right on, and I didn't want to leave my vehicle, but I lived for these trips, so off I go loaded up with one of the heavier loads I have ever carried in the field. Walked to the point where the area drops off into a long steep hill, and decided I am not going to carry all that crap uphill, when I leave, so the tent goes up. Set up a couple of dekes, and set up in the blind for a crappy day. Rained hard all morning, but I was dry, and comfortable. Finally cleared a bit, so I started to call, and was answered by a Tom a long ways a way in an area I hadn't hunted before. Knowing he isn't going to come my way, and don't know how long I have on the weather, I grab my gun, and I head down hill. Wish I could say I brought home that Gobbler, but it didn't happen. After a fair walk I arrived at a strip of woods with a good size field on the other side. I picked a spot in the woods with good visibility of the field, and proceeded to call. Nothing answered, but across the field out steps a large Gobbler with 3 hens. After he leaves, I split back to my blind as the sky opened up, and didn't stop raining hard all day. Sounds like a worthless day, but it ended up a gold mine for Turkey Hunting. That field ended up my "honey hole" in Kansas, where I put down many large Tom's. It was THE strut zone for the area close to the to the major roost area. I was hunting other areas, and not sure this Public area was where I wanted to be, but the next day shot a Gobbler, and I hunted only there after. I am so glad, I went out in the rain that day.
ImageImageImage
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

All day of heavy rain

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

I enjoy hunting in the rain..A steady rain.
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: All day of heavy rain

Post by Jaybird »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote:I enjoy hunting in the rain..A steady rain.
The problem with the heavy Spring rains in the Midwest is it can be extremely cold. I have crawled out of my sleeping bag with the temp in the 30's in Iowa with heavy rain and high winds can be totally miserable. I have never seen anybody sit out in that crap unprotected all day that lived. Lol.
ImageImageImage
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: All day of heavy rain

Post by howl »

Nothing better than rain on opening day. I kinda hate to shoot them and have them look bad from the rain, but having the woods free of deer hunters just makes the odds go up too much to resist. Plus I like sending pics to people I know stayed home.

Return to “Huntin Tales”