Reflections on a seasons end.

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Reflections on a seasons end.

Post by pedro »

As the end of my 24th waterfowl season is here I reflect on lessons learned and memories made. I have come full circle in terms of weapon used. When I started out i used a rem1100 20ga. We could still use lead then. Of course as I grew up I wanted to be like the big guys and shoot a 12. I went back to a 20ga exclusively for the past two seasons. The first year I shot factory kent faststeel. This year I shot all hand loads of steel, steel x TSS, hw13. Being able to tailor the load to meet the situation adds one more dimension to the equation, I like that. This year was a fantastic waterfowl season. Our group had only one goose band. We did end the duck season with 18/20 mallards and 10 geese. As one season ends one more starts. I can't wait for spring. Although my hunting roots are deep in waterfowl, turkey hunting has taken up more of my interest as if late.

Thanks for reading,

Pete
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Reflections on a seasons end.

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Reflections on a seasons end.

Post by Shooter »

I hear ya Pete, same here. My Father ordered me a Spanish double 20 for $50 back in 69 at the AFB's Rod and gun club in Turkey, when we were stationed over there. Shot that little chit for over 20 years before I upgraded to brand new Deluxe model 870. Hated that gun with all the short shuckin, and couldn't hit all that well anyway. Traded it in on a Beretta 302a, and never looked back. Went to shooting 10s bout 25 years ago, but went back to 12s, 10 years later.
I catch myself grabbing Lily's Benelli just about every morn I go for ducks. With good handloads, it is just as lethal as my 12. LOL, in fact, the longest duck kill I've had this season, has been with the 20,... probably 50 to 60yds.
We still have two more weeks left, but it has slowed down anyway. I was seeing alot of ducks early, and had high hopes, but have not seen very much since before the deepfreeze last week.
I guess they all went to the Bahama's. :mrgreen:

Return to “Huntin Tales”