Anyone know the speed of Ringers???

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I still don't know for sure myself, but I can assure you it is more than what I'm used to in the swamp!
You talk about having your wingshooting skills humbled Quick!!! :lol: :lol:
The first flock burned through there, and I emptied Lily's little Benelli, and not one feather???
I remember thinking,... What just happened? :mrgreen: Did the shells go Bang?
The next volley, I knocked one down, going away. The third flock, I lead the lead bird about six feet, and three birds back, one fell out! What the xxxx??? Is something wrong with these shells??
After that, I started leading them about 10 to 15ft and started knocking them down,....Geeeez!
These were not long shots either, maybe 30 to 40 yds. This was a totally new experience for me.
Thanks to Brent M, putting me on some ducks in AL. I may never hunt TN again,...lol.
I must have had 500 birds working, no Mallards though. Mostly Ringers, Spoonies, and a few Gadwalls. Got my limit the hard way, and had no shells left by 7:00am,...lol!! :mrgreen:
It was the most fun I've had duck hunting in quite some time!!! :thumbup:
ole5beards

Re: Anyone know the speed of Ringers???

Post by ole5beards »

Around Mach-12!!Those lil boogers can get it, Especially on windy days! I have about 150 of them sitting on a swamp of mine right now. Central Alabama doesn't get much of the flyway but with everything frozen just north of us were starting to see a few ducks. Killed a few mallards and gadwall this morning in the river, starting to pick up!
Pass the biscuits!!
ChiefBubba

Post by ChiefBubba »

A few that weren't quite fast enough!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386755082.201028.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386755082.201028.jpg (42.41 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
savduck

Post by savduck »

I love shooting jacks. We dont get them here where Im at compared to other parts of GA. We just had a bunch of bluebills show up this week.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Freaky Fast.. :lol:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ChiefBubba

Post by ChiefBubba »

Down here in South Florida Everglades that's all you get out there. Now if you're a little adventurous there's a place called an STA which the best description I can make is a Dove shoot with ducks. So far this year they've taken Canvasback, Gaddys, Wigeons and a ton if Teal. Last year a guy even got a Snow Goose. Chief
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Update from this morn!!! All the hard work I put in during the summer, building a levee, and fixing the leaks in it, on our property paid off finally!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Instead of driving an hour down to AL, and go after the Ringers again, Lily and I decided to walk out the front door, walk 300yds down to our flooded field, bordering the big timber, and see if anything would show.
First Greenhead of the season!!! Dang water was frozen though, and broke out a place.
They ended up landing on the ice, and walked in. Lily prefers shooting them NOT flying.
When they came to within 20 yds, they saw Lily, cause she was not hidden, and flew.
She fired, and missed, so it was up to me to take care of business.
She blamed it on all the heavy clothing, making it hard for her to shoulder the gun.
Dang it was cold this morn,... 17 degrees!!! It may not sound that cold for you MI and WI guys, but that is brutal for us down here! OUCH!!!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

If they are anything like teals, I read once where the teal can come in on a dive at 90 mph.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
savduck

Post by savduck »

Those teal are fast. live action

Bluebills and buffle heads are quick too

Last edited by savduck on December 11th, 2013, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I used to shoot a lot of ring necks in middle Georgia near Warrenton. A buddy had two large impoundments on his farm and the birds were probably coming off roost in Clarks Hill Lake. We'd hear them before seeing them well after morning legal time. They sounded like jets. They'd be up high in the sky and woosh down like little jets. Dumb as posts; once they decided to come in, they wouldn't be stopped. I've had them come in while picking up blocks thinking the hunt was over. Their diet is high in plant life and were great to eat. Sporty little duck.

You guys are lucky to have dependable mallard shooting. Del, we used to shoot broadbills in Calibougie sound.
savduck

Post by savduck »

GLS wrote:I used to shoot a lot of ring necks in middle Georgia near Warrenton. A buddy had two large impoundments on his farm and the birds were probably coming off roost in Clarks Hill Lake. We'd hear them before seeing them well after morning legal time. They sounded like jets. They'd be up high in the sky and woosh down like little jets. Dumb as posts; once they decided to come in, they wouldn't be stopped. I've had them come in while picking up blocks thinking the hunt was over. Their diet is high in plant life and were great to eat. Sporty little duck.

You guys are lucky to have dependable mallard shooting. Del, we used to shoot broadbills in Calibougie sound.

Gill, you aint got to go that far from home to get em.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Awesome video, Savduck. I can see that it's not the dog's first rodeo.. Very cool, indeed.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
savduck

Post by savduck »

Hognutz wrote:Awesome video, Savduck. I can see that it's not the dog's first rodeo.. Very cool, indeed.

He has been a good one. That was the first bird of early teal that year. He has started breaking on the first bird every year as he gets older. He breaks on that first bird every year, and then wont do it again the rest of the season. He gets after it pretty hard for almost being 10.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Del, there was a time not that long ago when I didn't have to leave Chatham County to reliably call and decoy mallards and red-legged black ducks. Gil
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Man when those duck buzz you it can be humbling to say the least.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
savduck

Post by savduck »

GLS wrote:Del, there was a time not that long ago when I didn't have to leave Chatham County to reliably call and decoy mallards and red-legged black ducks. Gil

In rifle cut, when they had corn planted on the refuge in the late sixties, ive heard those stories. Longing for those kind of days again. We killed them in the pond behind Savannah Christian at Chatham parkway in my time.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Thats why I like geese, huge wingspan, feet down back peddling at 10 yards, I look like Tom Knapp.. :lol:
savduck

Post by savduck »

I like shooting them hoodie mergansers. They are plentiful and they go Flop good.

ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

savduck wrote:I like shooting them hoodie mergansers. They are plentiful and they go Flop good.

Best eatin too :thumbup:
NECKRINGER

Post by NECKRINGER »

Merganzers make good substitute for anchovies on pizza

Ringers are fast and hardy

Last season I hunted real serious I kill 183 fingers and 1 teal

I have heard them dropping from the sky and they sound like fighter jet

Fun shooting
Dont start a fire in the woods you cant stomp out...it may come back and burn your a$$

Hey guesswho guesswhat
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I love to hear them boogers unzippin the sky!!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

We use to shoot a lot of Woodies, and there were days I just couldn't catch up to them. They can can do a 90 turn at full speed, and really make you look bad, thinking you have him dead to rights coming in.
ImageImageImage
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I love the way a Ringneck's feathers sizzle when he's committed to coming in the decoys from a long ways off. A Green Wing with a tailwind is like a jet too, only more acrobatic.
Somebody else can have my share of Mergansers. I prefer my fish without feathers.

Jim

Return to “Huntin Tales”