The gobbler that got away!

Stories of your favorite gobbler hunts.
Grizzfrictionwood

The gobbler that got away!

Post by Grizzfrictionwood »

This old gobbler here had eluded me on three consecutive mornings. I had taken a monopod and a magnet and attached it to my phone so I could film this hunt , which turned out pretty good. This old gobbler sounded off about 10:30 in the big timber and I could tell he was left alone because all morning he was quiet now he's gobbling more frequent. I had just been lagging back waiting on him to do something. Must of been 3 hours or so and I hadn't heard him. When he gobbled I didn't make a peep I circled around and got as close as I could without him busting me and set up by a tree real quick! The first thing I did was scratch on the leaves and made a couple of soft Yelps on my friction wood and I could hear him walking and drumming. I must have just walked up within 30 yards of that gobbler, that's getting in tight. My heart was about to beat out of my chest from hurrying up there and then the excitement of him just being there and I was going to close the deal. All of a sudden I was like I'll see him any second and I heard a gobbler cluck and I peeked over my camera and there he stood less than 20 yards my camera had been blocking his walk up the whole time filming him the whole way. He took off running I jumped up Run towards him big old beard swinging biggest gobbler I've ever seen on two legs and he run right out of my life. But that's hunting he'll be there next spring hopefully and I'll get another opportunity his gobble is for sure unmistakable.Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

trkykilr

Re: The gobbler that got away!

Post by trkykilr »

Were you trying to catch him? Did you have a weapon?
Grizzfrictionwood

Yes I had a weapon
trkykilr wrote:Were you trying to catch him? Did you have a weapon?

Grizzfrictionwood

trkykilr wrote:Were you trying to catch him? Did you have a weapon?
12 guage browning

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

now thats a great story and hunt! I hope you get him this coming spring. Would be awesome!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Grizzfrictionwood

hoobilly wrote:now thats a great story and hunt! I hope you get him this coming spring. Would be awesome!
Thanks buddy

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

trkykilr wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 10:43 am Were you trying to catch him? Did you have a weapon?
He borrowed Camodudes butterfly net.......... :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

I am sorry that your gobbler got away. When you saw him running, why didn't you shoot him? What were you trying to accomplish running after him? so many questions about this hunt
Grizzfrictionwood

trkykilr wrote:I am sorry that your gobbler got away. When you saw him running, why didn't you shoot him? What were you trying to accomplish running after him? so many questions about this hunt
I was setting and when he took off running it took me a second to get up. He went down the ridge he came up also so I lost him. When I picked him up again with my gun it was a marginal shot. So I chose not to take it. Stories a lot of times will leave you wondering about the whole hunt. That's what makes it interesting you can kinda add to it what you think might of happened. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Huntin Tales”