Pinhoti Project

Post your favorite YouTube hunting videos here.
Cove

Re: Pinhoti Project

Post by Cove »

GLS wrote: September 13th, 2018, 4:54 pm Your mobile home set up in the truck looks very efficient. Never, ever turn on your butane heater in the closed up truck cap and lay down on the cot thinking you'll get up and turn it off before going to sleep. After hunting all day and drinking a beer or two and laying down worn out with the heater on could be a recipe for disaster. Carbon monoxide is an odorless killer. You probably already know this but this bears saying. Gil
It seldom is ever on more that a few minutes, it'll get so hot in there you can't stand it. But it has a CO sensor on it as well and will automatically shut off.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Man, looking at your setup makes me appreciate my own van even more so than I already did! I don't know how you guys do it....my knees are aching just thinking about living out of a pickup truck. Youth............someday you'll understand. ;)
Cove

Post by Cove »

hookspur wrote: September 18th, 2018, 8:10 pm Man, looking at your setup makes me appreciate my own van even more so than I already did! I don't know how you guys do it....my knees are aching just thinking about living out of a pickup truck. Youth............someday you'll understand. ;)
I get it! Some day I'll upsize. You need 4wd in that thing!
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I've had that 2-wheel van in places you wouldn't even believe, but you already know the story of when I got stuck on flat ground. :toothy7: :toothy7:
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Cove wrote: September 19th, 2018, 10:04 am
hookspur wrote: September 18th, 2018, 8:10 pm Man, looking at your setup makes me appreciate my own van even more so than I already did! I don't know how you guys do it....my knees are aching just thinking about living out of a pickup truck. Youth............someday you'll understand. ;)
I get it! Some day I'll upsize. You need 4wd in that thing!
4wd would make it too high for a drive thru window.... :lol: :lol: Sorry, Buddy!!! I know people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw boulders..
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Agreed on both points, Dickie! ;) Thankfully, Krispie's Fried Chicken doesn't have a low roof over their drive-through. :king:
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

hookspur wrote: September 21st, 2018, 6:21 am Agreed on both points, Dickie! ;) Thankfully, Krispie's Fried Chicken doesn't have a low roof over their drive-through. :king:
:thumbup: :thumbup:
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Dave,
I was holding my breath as you crossed the pine log over the creek and was hoping that you would turn around. About 22 years ago, I was in a similar situation while coursing a gobbler, crossing a creek w/ a deep, large chert rock substrate on a pine log when the bark on the dead tree slipped, pitching me off. I held my gun up and landed on my back. The breath was knocked out of me, but when I stood up I realized that I was hurt pretty badly w/ an uphill 1 1/2- 2 mile hike back to my vehicle. I walked/drug and crawled back to the vehicle and headed to a hospital ER. X-rays confirmed that I had broken my sacrum and severely bruised my back and buttocks. I hunted the next day, although I was unable to sit comfortably during the remainder of the turkey season. Once again, what a great job you've done w/ all these videos. Cudos!!
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Just discovered these in the past few weeks Cove- awesome job! My wife says your theory on getting there early first sounds kinda like mine,” I really don’t care who get there first as long as it’s after me...”😂. Admire yalls work ethic, showing the good with the bad, and the spending a few minutes honoring the Bird. Here’s to hoping for many more early morns, hardwood ridges, lusty gobblers and cheap cigars!
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
willygee

Post by willygee »

Hats off Dave!! Keep on doing what you do. Great to see the tough days where you have to grind it out,
second guess your decisions and learn from the mistakes made.
On the same page as you cause I never, ever let a little rain or wind be an excuse to sleep in.

Willy
Clydetaylor

Post by Clydetaylor »

Love those videos.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Anyone see the VA hunt(posted last week) where he forgot to load and bird came in? He had an opportunity to load it after the first attempt to shoot, but it gun "clicked" and didn't fire. Since the gun uses the "inertia" system, ie, rotary bolt, I'm wondering if the problem was that the bolt didn't fully rotate into battery. That's happened with me and my former SBE. Twice on the same pair of birds that came running in to me years ago on my first SBE hunt. Dave's gun camera on both attempts showed one heckuva flinch when the gun didn't fire. Wonder how many of us have a flinch when we fire our Roman Candles out of our guns? I developed a flinch when I shot pistols competitively and they can be a booger to work through and it's nothing to be ashamed of. As for failing to load the gun I've had my share of boneheaded mistakes turkey hunting and probably far more than Dave. To test to see if you have a flinch, have some one load the gun for you and randomly not load it in a series of shooting without you seeing him load or fail to load. Dove loads are fine; no point in shooting up TSS. I've seen folks just about fall down on a skeet field leaning into the "shot" when the gun didn't fire unexpectedly. Gil
HoltBensley

Post by HoltBensley »

Love the videos Dave keep them coming!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GLS wrote: July 10th, 2019, 7:35 am Anyone see the VA hunt(posted last week) where he forgot to load and bird came in? He had an opportunity to load it after the first attempt to shoot, but it gun "clicked" and didn't fire. Since the gun uses the "inertia" system, ie, rotary bolt, I'm wondering if the problem was that the bolt didn't fully rotate into battery. That's happened with me and my former SBE. Twice on the same pair of birds that came running in to me years ago on my first SBE hunt. Dave's gun camera on both attempts showed one heckuva flinch when the gun didn't fire. Wonder how many of us have a flinch when we fire our Roman Candles out of our guns? I developed a flinch when I shot pistols competitively and they can be a booger to work through and it's nothing to be ashamed of. As for failing to load the gun I've had my share of boneheaded mistakes turkey hunting and probably far more than Dave. To test to see if you have a flinch, have some one load the gun for you and randomly not load it in a series of shooting without you seeing him load or fail to load. Dove loads are fine; no point in shooting up TSS. I've seen folks just about fall down on a skeet field leaning into the "shot" when the gun didn't fire unexpectedly. Gil
Sometimes I think the flinch is more an after thought to the surprise it didn’t go bang. I know I have flinched several times after a round didn’t go off. And then again I know when I flinch before the shot as I’m squeezing the trigger. That’s when I have a mental talk with myself
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Seems I recall he shoots 1 5/8 oz in a 6 lb. gun. At 1100 fps, that's 46 ft lbs of calculated recoil. A typical dove load of 7/8 oz. at 1100 fps calculates out to 16 ft. lbs. Heavier loads are far worse and pack a wallop on the shoulder. Not taking anything away from him he's as good as it gets. The way I worked my way out of a flinch with a pistol when I shot metallic silhouettes with a 7mm TCU in a 10" TC was with a .22 barrel and Russ handing me the gun without me knowing if it was loaded or not. When I stopped flinching, we tried same with the competition rounds. Same could be done with a shotgun. A flinch can be a bear to get rid of. Gil
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Awesome job this season Dave.

Regarding the flinch, I stepped down to the 20 gauge with a 2.75" shell and the 1 3/8oz. TSS 9s load. Years of getting pounded by the 12 gauge H&R single shot in 3.5" and then the 3" shells and I didn't realize how bad my flinch was until I my first shot through the new 20, Pulled that first round big time. Still stout but way manageable.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
bluetick58

Post by bluetick58 »

Dave love your shows love the way you call im gonna have to get some ghost calls never tried one wish you would sell your own line alot of people would buy
crow

Post by crow »

Very good hunting videos, I rewatched the hunt of Chubbs and Dave finishing out Chubb's slam in Ark. while I ate breakfast this morning,
good stuff.
tracker 6

Post by tracker 6 »

Don' watch any other turkey videos but Pinhoti .Doing it right way. Only video guys I would want to hunt with .
One Gobbler,One shot (well sometimes) ;)
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GLS wrote: July 10th, 2019, 6:33 pm Seems I recall he shoots 1 5/8 oz in a 6 lb. gun. At 1100 fps, that's 46 ft lbs of calculated recoil. A typical dove load of 7/8 oz. at 1100 fps calculates out to 16 ft. lbs. Heavier loads are far worse and pack a wallop on the shoulder. Not taking anything away from him he's as good as it gets. The way I worked my way out of a flinch with a pistol when I shot metallic silhouettes with a 7mm TCU in a 10" TC was with a .22 barrel and Russ handing me the gun without me knowing if it was loaded or not. When I stopped flinching, we tried same with the competition rounds. Same could be done with a shotgun. A flinch can be a bear to get rid of. Gil
yessir its a nasty habit

we have handed guns with no bullets in them to test for flinchers

hard one to overcome is finger punching the trigger on a release for bow target panic gets a lot of bow shooters
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
crow

Post by crow »

Watched the Ky public land "get in the bubble" video this morning.

excellent hunt and good job getting it done on that one.

Return to “GNTV”