Any of ya'll shootin a 270 WSM???

everything except turkey & deer
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Any of ya'll shootin a 270 WSM???

Post by Shooter »

I probably should have went with this round on my last build, but went with the 264 Win Mag. Even with it's 27" barrel, The ballistics have not been as expected, and extremely finicky with bullets and powders. Getting at best, 3350fps with a 130grn Nosler AB.
I noticed the 270wsm will do this with shorter barrels. Thinking real hard about getting one.
I had a 270 Weatherby Mag years ago in a Mark V. Beautiful gun, and was one flat shootin Mother! I could barely keep it close to MOA though, so I let it go.
My Alabama Buddy has a new in box Rem 700 ss, short action, plastic stock 270 wsm. Probably gonna get it, and turn it into my new field and work gun. My 28"barreled, 10 and a half pound STW is just too much to carry around anymore. Wanting to downsize a bit.

What do ya'll think of this cartridge?

Here are a couple pics of the finished 264.
Attachments
SANY0001.JPG
SANY0002.JPG
chris30br

Re: Any of ya'll shootin a 270 WSM???

Post by chris30br »

tommy,
the wsm's are very efficent rounds. i built a 270wsm a few years back on a custom action and had it bedded to a hs stock. with 140gr vld bergers i could reach 3200fps with a stought load of h1000 and norma brass, this was was with a 22" krieger barrel. have shot several 5 shot groups at 100yrd under 1/2 moa. i liked the 270 so well i chambered up a 300wsm and faver it over the 270 due to a better barrel life and bullet selection. one thing i would suggest is a brake if possible, wsm in short barrels have some jump. also read up on the 7mmsaum, lot of guys that shoot long br that i know are playing with it now a days. as far as a light weight hunting gun u cant go wrong with any of the wsm family, great round. very efficent, shoot great and u give up no velocity in short barrels.
chris
chris30br

Post by chris30br »

something i did not mention is that u can control shoulder bump alot better on the wsm case due to the non belted case. i have a f/l bushing die that i use, and it works great just bumping the shoulder back a .001.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Tommy, I hunt with a BAR 270 wsm. I love the gun and use a factory loaded Barnes TTSX 110 grain bullet going at a factory advertised 3500 fps. (Don;t have a chrony) It is not the tightest grouping round I have shot, but it does a number on deer. I wish I had the know how you do, because I would load those 110 grain TTSX to hit about 3350 -3400 fps. My feeble understanding of bullets makes me think it would be a more consistent at lower velocities. I am sure you will find something to make it a deer slayer.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

I had a Tikka 270 WSM and Ronny (reloader) has it now. It was a shooter for sure. I was able to hold 1" groups at 300 yards using 130 NBT's.
I built one back before they were on the market as well, (wildcat'ed it) my dies said 270/300WSM. Carried that one to Canada on a caribou hunt. Had one of the guides want to borrow it to kill one for camp meat. He made about a 250 yrd shot with it and all he could say was "wow that is one heck of a round", dropped everything it was pointed at like it was magic.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Yep you guy's, this may be the best little cartridge out there right now for all around use.
Still shoots fast in shorter barrels, not finiky, recoil moderate, chambers in short actions.
Planning on pulling the barrel and turning it down a little thinner, and cutting it down to 20". Make a good hunting rifle out of it.
I have two 18 1/2" barreled guns that will shoot with match guns for a few shots, until the barrel gets hot. So I'm not worried about giving up any accuracy. One is a Rem 600, 243, and the other is Lily's Rem 7, 260. That short barrel myth is bullcrap.

Derrick, usually when working up a load, the ones that seem to give the best velocities are usually the ones that group the best.
Never have figured that one out, but that is how it works out for me,.... usually. :mrgreen: I've got a BAR in 338wm. I cut the barrel to 20" and it actually shoots tighter than it did before. :dontknow: Bad crown before,... maybe. It will do 1/2 inch at a hundred, if you're man enough to shoot it! :lol:
Really looking forward to playing with this gun, but it will be next year. Not near about ready to deal with it yet. Probably gonna camo it.
Gonna put the Leupold VX-3L, 4x-14x, 56mm, 30mm tube, B&C ret on it. Ought to be a helluva killin machine.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Shooter wrote:Yep you guy's, this may be the best little cartridge out there right now for all around use.
Still shoots fast in shorter barrels, not finiky, recoil moderate, chambers in short actions.
Planning on pulling the barrel and turning it down a little thinner, and cutting it down to 20". Make a good hunting rifle out of it.
I have two 18 1/2" barreled guns that will shoot with match guns for a few shots, until the barrel gets hot. So I'm not worried about giving up any accuracy. One is a Rem 600, 243, and the other is Lily's Rem 7, 260. That short barrel myth is bullcrap.

Derrick, usually when working up a load, the ones that seem to give the best velocities are usually the ones that group the best.
Never have figured that one out, but that is how it works out for me,.... usually. :mrgreen: I've got a BAR in 338wm. I cut the barrel to 20" and it actually shoots tighter than it did before. :dontknow: Bad crown before,... maybe. It will do 1/2 inch at a hundred, if you're man enough to shoot it! :lol:
Really looking forward to playing with this gun, but it will be next year. Not near about ready to deal with it yet. Probably gonna camo it.
Gonna put the Leupold VX-3L, 4x-14x, 56mm, 30mm tube, B&C ret on it. Ought to be a helluva killin machine.
Hey Tommy

I'll trade you 2 good laying hens & a mean ass rooster for the Rem 600 243 :thumbup:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Ricky, I'd like to take you up on your offer, but I've had that thing since I was 16, and hunted with it exclusively for over 25 years.
It has been locked up ever since, but kind-of hate to part with it. It is a pretty little thing. I refinished the stock right before I retired it, so it looks like new, if not better.
Next time you're down, remind me to get it out,.... so you can drool all over it. :lol:
Didn't you say you had a couple 541s, and a Anshutz??? :LMAO:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

From what I have heard from Winchester reps themselves, the advantage gained from the .270 WSM is not as great as the .300 WSM as far as recoil reduction, accuracy, and BC goes. I know I had a Savage 16 weather warrior in .300 WSM and it was bad news, but I traded it in for one of my old favorites. A Rem. 700 Classic .308, which was the last year they made the Classic (2005). It is the best sporter barreled rifle I have ever shot. I can shoot 1" MOA at 100 yds. easy with premium factory ammo, and I am no rifle marksman by any means. Shooter, I realize that you have probably forget more than I have about firearms, but IMO the .308 Win. is hard to beat for an all around cartridge. I am wondering, what are you guys opinions on a .260 Rem. or a 6.5x55 Swede? I have also been considering a 7x57. Looking for something I can start hand loading for.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

The 260 is an awesome round. It is way under rated. I even built one for 1000yd matches years ago.
The only one I have now is a model 7, but it is a real shooter for sure. So far every deer shot with it has dropped in his tracks.
Pretty sure Gobbler loves his Swede too though! :mrgreen: A 7-08 would be one to look at also, if you lookin to stay away from magnums.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I have grown to love the short action rounds. The only thing that has pushed me towards the 6.5 Swede is case capacity, especially when it comes to reloading. Everything I have read, has said that the 6.5x55 would be able to handle heavier bullets better. Another thing is ammo availability. I thought the .260 Rem. ammo would be easier to come by online, but I can actually find more 6.5 Swede ammo. The main problem is I can not find many firearm manufacturers offering the Swede today in their lineup.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

You realize you can make 260 brass from 243s, 7-08s, and 308s. Just run them through your FL die.
I used Lapua 243 match brass when I used to compete with my 260.
PM Toasty about 260s, he has one and shoots like champ. He has some good loads for it also.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Love my light weight 260, and yes it shoots WAY better than it should.

and yes all groups are 3 shot @ 100 yrds and it has proved itself several time to be a sub 1/2 MOA rifle out to 400 yrds.

bigdoc

Post by bigdoc »

I got a CDL Rem. 270 wsw and vx11 3x9 and have loved it. Put the scope on and with factory ammo it will shot at a 1/2 " group. It is the NWTF model, the guy had it just setting in his gun safe and was never fired when i got it.
bigdoc

Post by bigdoc »

That 264 is awesome. BEAUTIFUL !!!!
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Punisher wrote:I have grown to love the short action rounds. The only thing that has pushed me towards the 6.5 Swede is case capacity, especially when it comes to reloading. Everything I have read, has said that the 6.5x55 would be able to handle heavier bullets better. Another thing is ammo availability. I thought the .260 Rem. ammo would be easier to come by online, but I can actually find more 6.5 Swede ammo. The main problem is I can not find many firearm manufacturers offering the Swede today in their lineup.
Tikka T3 Lite. Have two of them, 7mm-08 and 30-06. Both shoot sub MOA with factory ammo.
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

I have a savage 260 and it is a shooting sucker. I dunno about the 270 wsm but my dad has a 7mm wsm in an abolt and it is awesome
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I have been looking at three rifles in the .260 Rem. They are the Savage 16 Long Range Hunter, Savage (10 I think) Predator Max, and the Remington Model 7. I was hoping I could get some of you fellows opinions on those three choices. I also wouldn't mind a Tikka T3 Lite in the 6.5x55, or one of the older Remington Model 700 Classic in the 6.5x55. What do you guys think? Pullit, what rifle is that you posted pics of? Is it built on a Rem. 700 action?
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Pretty sure he told me it was a model 7, and been custom lightened. Not sure if his barrel is factory or not.
I'm a big fan of the 260 in Rem actions, so there is my vote. Nothing wrong with the other guns you mentioned either.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

Shooter is correct, that is a model 7, and I took the 20" barrel off of it and replaced it with a 22" factory take off barrel. You would be amazed at how it settled the muzzle flip down on that gun buy just adding those 2 extra inches.
It is bedded in a High Tech stock, and I made a light weight bolt shroud for it. I also hollows out the bolt knob and handle, and sent it off to Kampfeld to have the bolt spiral fluted.
I know some of the targets look like just 2 shots but all are 3 shot groups. I can not get over how well it shoots to be that light, I will be the first to tell you, I got REAL LUCKY with that barrel.

Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Punisher wrote:I have been looking at three rifles in the .260 Rem. They are the Savage 16 Long Range Hunter, Savage (10 I think) Predator Max, and the Remington Model 7. I was hoping I could get some of you fellows opinions on those three choices. I also wouldn't mind a Tikka T3 Lite in the 6.5x55, or one of the older Remington Model 700 Classic in the 6.5x55. What do you guys think? Pullit, what rifle is that you posted pics of? Is it built on a Rem. 700 action?

I've got the model 10 predator max1 in 260, it's a shooter!

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”