in coons all night

everything except turkey & deer
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

in coons all night

Post by hawglips »

Had a good coon hunt Thursday night with Courtney and his Grand Knight Champion, High Plains Drifter, and his young female Lizzy. I love the mouth on Drifter. We had 4 treed coons, including one quite long track. One treed in an old den tree and escaped safely, and another was off our property so we retrieved the dogs with no gun. But two weren't quite so lucky. Not bad for a night where I had to get up for work the next morning. And, the night sky was something -- clear, starry, and memorable.

Here's some of the action.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff16 ... 394e67.mp4

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff16 ... 5cbbf4.mp4
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: in coons all night

Post by HuntnMa »

cool
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Dang you,i miss coon huntn alot,thanks lol.We had a Walker also.If no one has never hunted with coon dogs they should try and experience it at least once if they ever get a chance.
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I worked a raccoon check-in station up in Northwest TN...Realfoot Lake when I was in college. We were to measure and take data on the coons that were killed that night. We took beer shots every time we heard a dog bark. It was one of the drunkest I have ever been.
Thanks Hal for the memories. Good stuff!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

very cool!
I quit killing raccoons a few years ago after I had to do a Biology paper on them.
They rarely eat turkey eggs. They clean up the carrion that lies around the woods, they eat plants and crap out the seeds, spreading more foodstuffs for turkeys and deer (berries, nuts, fruits, ect), they actually reduce the turkey/coyote kill ratio because coyotes will attack a coon first, then a turkey (coons are easier prey).
The only downside to coons are the parasites/worms/distemper and rabies they may carry. But in contrast to an ecologists standpoint, they have yet to affect the populations. They are only pests when slobs leave their trash out, or when proper maintenance isn't done on homes (living in the attic), feeders....well feeders attract everything.

So.....more coons=more turkeys!

I do however kill squirrels... they plant oak trees.....ohh well. :lol:
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Lots of fun there, Watching the dogs work is a blast.

I did some trapping this year in a state park, caught 16, sold 13 for $279.
"INFIDEL"
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Looks like you had the dogs stretch em. :mrgreen:

We kill 12 to fifteen a summer around our feeders . Corn is expensive and the only natural enemy of the coon is a car tire.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good job, kill all those disease packing, egg sucking vermin you can.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Never heard that more coons equal more turkeys before. Everything I've ever read about actual studies showed they are real hard on turkey nests and poults.

When I was raising turkeys, the coons were a big problem figuring out how to get into the pen and killing my little turkeys....
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

hawglips wrote:
When I was raising turkeys, the coons were a big problem figuring out how to get into the pen and killing my little turkeys....
where they in a pen or enclosure????
Raccoons Rarely eat turkey eggs. They will eat ducks, turkeys, and other small penned animals that are small and easy to grab. Its in their nature to grab what they can and go. If you give the Yotes more prey...turkeys will get away. :cheers:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Turkey Talker wrote:
hawglips wrote:
where they in a pen or enclosure????
Raccoons Rarely eat turkey eggs. They will eat ducks, turkeys, and other small penned animals that are small and easy to grab. Its in their nature to grab what they can and go. If you give the Yotes more prey...turkeys will get away. :cheers:
In a pen. The nasty rascals were very good at figuring out a way to get through the chicken wire. After I caught and killed 3 or 4 of them the killing stopped.

Lovett Williams, among others, claims that racoons destroy a lot of wild turkey nests and young poults.

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”