Crossbows

everything except turkey & deer
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Crossbows

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

So Sal decided to get her father a X bow for Christmas.. Being a builder he does not have much time in the fall thus no need to spend 1200 bucks..

So being out of the Archery loop, I was overwhelmed at how many manufactures exist and how many models. :oops:

So we decided to make the trip last evening to a large outdoor store an hour away.. The sale guy we dealt with seemed to be honest and straightforward with us.. He continually urged us away from other bows and highly recommended the Excalibur Axiom on the basis of no tuning, accuracy and it can be un cocked without firing.

One thing that baffles me is Excaliburs premise of shooting light arrows with super heavy broadheads (150g)..

So what is everyones thought on Excalibur other bows in this range etc.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Crossbows

Post by Grover »

My buddy shoots an Excalibur and will not shoot anything else. They pointed you in the right direction for sure. If/when I ever buy one, Excalibur for me.
"INFIDEL"
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

I like the idea of uncocking without firing ! Wish mine had that ! I shoot a Parker ! They are made in Mint Springs Va. About an hr from my house. Unconditional lifetime warranty ! I've heard good things about Excalibar . :thumbup:

vaturkey :struttin:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

The drawback to my 10 point is the weight,and you have to shoot it to un cock it. Other than that I really like it.Price has dropped a bunch too. I dont understand the tuning reply though. You load it and shoot it adjust the scope and your ready. No tuning needed.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

redarrow wrote:The drawback to my 10 point is the weight,and you have to shoot it to un cock it. Other than that I really like it.Price has dropped a bunch too. I dont understand the tuning reply though. You load it and shoot it adjust the scope and your ready. No tuning needed.
Well the 10 point has cams and the Excalibur does not.. Thus the timing of the cams much like a dual cam crossbow have to be in time.. Plus you have cables to go bad..
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Been playing with an Excalibur Phoenix over the last few weeks. Recurve limbs.
I use the pull handles to uncock it, takes quite a bit of strength one-handed to do it.
Shoots quite well, too loud for me, but nice after a few silencers.
Great bow, but more expensive than would have thought.
Took a nice 8 pointer yesterday with it, but shot a little high, but got the exit lung.
Sighted it in better today, gonna try it again in the morn.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

from all the research i have done the excal is bullet proof with excellent customer service,alittle wide for my likeing.the new strykezones had some early trouble,parkers have excellent cs,along with tenpoint,have read nothing but solid reviews on ten point bows.would have had a new tenpoint turbo ll if the bookie didn't kill me for the first 2 months.myself im eyeing the scorpyd bows,pricey but built like a tank.WYVERN CREATIONS from new hampshire has to be one of the best places for prices and the best customer service you could ever imagine!the heavier broadheads are for more weight forward on the arrow which is supposed to increase accuracy.tom you can look up old bd1 and ask him ,he hasn't changed from the old gobb days lololol.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Love my excalibur. Have had it since 2001 and still going strong with just a few string changes. I love it because you don't have the cables to play with. In the field just carry an extra string if anything happens just pop it on. The only other ones I have any experience with are the 10 points. All my buddies in my old moose group had them. Two of them had the foot stirrup break off while up north and one had the string get nicked by broadhead and wasn't able to change it basically ruined their hunts. They told me to get a 10 point but I am glad I went with the excalibur. As far as the heads they are using now don't really like them when I got mine I used the 20 inch arrows with a 100 grain thunderhead. Deadly accurate and it has taken everything from a big bull moose to several toms and deer.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
redarrow wrote:The drawback to my 10 point is the weight,and you have to shoot it to un cock it. Other than that I really like it.Price has dropped a bunch too. I dont understand the tuning reply though. You load it and shoot it adjust the scope and your ready. No tuning needed.
Well the 10 point has cams and the Excalibur does not.. Thus the timing of the cams much like a dual cam crossbow have to be in time.. Plus you have cables to go bad..
That makes sense. Havent looked at many so I wasnt aware of the differences.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Shooter wrote:Been playing with an Excalibur Phoenix over the last few weeks. Recurve limbs.
I use the pull handles to uncock it, takes quite a bit of strength one-handed to do it.
When you un-cock it are you putting the hooks at each side of the string like when you cock it near the trigger end and then pulling up on one handle until the opposite handle is pulled tight to the hook on that side. Then with no arrow on the rail and your foot in the stirrup hold the one handle tight, take off the safety and pull the trigger. Make sure you hold on tight when you pull the trigger so it doesn't take off on you. Then slowly lower the handle down and it should be in the position it is just before you cock it.
Last edited by timbrhuntr on October 25th, 2012, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

another thing tom,every xbow is different and they all seem to be very picky about fixed blade broadheads,some shoot them great others get to much planeing for accuracy.seems like alot of guys swear by spitfires,an expandable.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

MY buddy shoots the expandable rocket broadheads, I've never seen him lose one, and the blood trail, Stevie Wonder could follow.
"INFIDEL"
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

timbrhuntr wrote:
Shooter wrote:Been playing with an Excalibur Phoenix over the last few weeks. Recurve limbs.
When you un-cock it are you putting the hooks at each side of the string like when you cock it near the trigger end and then pulling up on one handle until the opposite handle is pulled tight to the hook on that side. Then with no arrow on the rail and your foot in the stirrup hold the one handle tight, take off the safety and pull the trigger. Make sure you hold on tight when you pull the trigger so it doesn't take off on you. Then slowly lower the handle down and it should be in the position it is just before you cock it.
Yep, I put the hooks the same way I cock it, and hold both handles with one hand, and pull the trigger with the other.
Maybe I'm just weak, but it is all I can do to hold on to it.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

No.Pull one handle out until the other is snugged up to the rail and the hook. Your hand will be holding out the one handle with the string extended on one side and with no extended string on the other side. With the free hand pull the trigger and then let the one handle down slowly. It is a lot easier and safer trust me.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote:No.Pull one handle out until the other is snugged up to the rail and the hook. Your hand will be holding out the one handle with the string extended on one side and with no extended string on the other side. With the free hand pull the trigger and then let the one handle down slowly. It is a lot easier and safer trust me.
This is how the guy at the store did it..
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Well, the Excalibur came through again. Did not have to uncock it today,...lol
Took a nice 7 pointer and a doe 30 mins after, then walked back home.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Congrats. Maybe some of your good fortune will come my way :thumbup:
outlaw

Post by outlaw »

i wish they would outlaw them in va its not bow hunting its a joke poachers love them it takes no skill :angry5: :dontknow:
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

outlaw wrote:i wish they would outlaw them in va its not bow hunting its a joke poachers love them it takes no skill :angry5: :dontknow:

Hey Outlaw

I bet you got an inline muzzleloader dont you. Heck they shoot just like a rifle ! IT TAKES NO SKILL ! Get a life or get a flintlock !

:bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

outlaw wrote:i wish they would outlaw them in va its not bow hunting its a joke poachers love them it takes no skill :angry5: :dontknow:

:thefinger: I SHOOT A CROSS-BOW & inline muzzleloader !!!! :thefinger: :thefinger: :thefinger:

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I've been an archer since the early 70s, and used to shoot quite a lot. Two weeks ago was the first time I ever touched an X-bow.
Yes, they are accurate and easier to aim and shoot, but I noticed it really didn't shoot much flatter than a regular hunting bow. Judging distance has been my downfall from the beginning, and the x-bow has not seemed to help. The 20yd dot in the scope shoots 2" high, the 30yd shoots 2" low, and 40 shoots 7 " low.
Needless to say, I hit all three deer in the last few days, not where I intended, even though I had a good idea of the ranges.
X-bows are much more noisy, so every deer seemed to react quickly when they heard the "Thhwwaakk".
All of the three, got impacted 4 to 8 inches behind where I held from thier bolting from the noise.

I always thought, through the years also, that they were a big advantage, but now actually using them, not near as much as I thought.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

The only major advantage is not having to draw and hold.. Despite the high FPS, they lose it fast like steel shot due to the weight of arrow (Excluding Tac 15).

I signed the petition to have them legalized in MI. Not because I own one or want to use one. But instead: A. If somebody does not have the time to dedicate to a traditional bow they have a better chance at not wounding deer with a X bow B. I would rather have kids in the woods with a highly accurate, deadly crossbow, than a compound where they struggle to pull 40lbs.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

timbrhuntr wrote:No.Pull one handle out until the other is snugged up to the rail and the hook. Your hand will be holding out the one handle with the string extended on one side and with no extended string on the other side. With the free hand pull the trigger and then let the one handle down slowly. It is a lot easier and safer trust me.

Well I'll be dadgum,... thanks for the tip, never would have figured that one. Much, much easier,...lol. The friction created from the rope on the back of the grip of the stock, puts just enough resistance on the rope to make it half as light as before.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Im all for compound bow and would never own a crossbow but have nothing against them. I agree that I would rather see someone with a cross bow than compound if they didnt know how to make an accurate show. Its the recurve, compound, crossbow hate game. All of them are fun to shoot, some take more skill than the other but it doesnt matter. Dont knock on the guys out doing what they love to do!
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Crossbows are NOT a futuristic weapon. They don't have long range capabilities like TV makes you think they do, that bolt at about 30-35 yards drops like a rock. I have nothing agaist them during archery season.
"INFIDEL"

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”