A little DIY Camo

everything except turkey & deer
Grizzly Johnson

A little DIY Camo

Post by Grizzly Johnson »

Been wanting to redo the camo on my predator/varmint AR for a while.... Finally decided two weeks ago to start the task.... used Krylon & Rust-Oleum camo paints and sea sponges cut into strips.

Stats:

CMMG lower with RRA 2-stage match trigger, winter trigger-guard, adjustable stock, and sims slip-on recoil pad.

Armalite 16" Flat-top upper with Burris PEPR 1" scope mount (with railed caps), threaded, SS match grade target barrel, 2/3-1/3 smooth/railed forearm.... railed gas-block, Yankee Hill bi-pod adapter, Harris 9"-13" bipod, and Kies Blast Master SS linear compensator.

Here is the setup I started with:

Here is during the paint stripping process:

Here is the stripped paint, factory finish, taped off ready for new paint:

Here is the base coat of Krylon khaki paint:

Here is the first layer of camo, Krylon black and Rust-Oleum brown primer:

Here is after the dead grass color tan and od green were added. Also, the tape from the grip and forearm was removed and painted over the black giving the whole gun a little contrast.

I painted the ss barrel, gas block, and compensator to match the upper/lower metal.... along with the bi-pod. The scope, bipod adapter, and scope base was painted in the same way the grip and forearm were. Here is the finished product.... may try to snap a few outside pics tomorrow.... took these off my workbench:

Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: A little DIY Camo

Post by Shooter »

Looking good Grizz, now if you can just figure out how to call them yotes, we will get down and dirty,...lol
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I like it. Sponges are a great way to go.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Grizzly Johnson

Shooter wrote:Looking good Grizz, now if you can just figure out how to call them yotes, we will get down and dirty,...lol

I been planning on getting me a new FOXPRO e-caller..... July 1st they updated their product line and accessories/decoys...... $250 and I will be in business.... Takes too much air to blow them mouth calls for 20-30 minutes.....

:oops:

BTW, that older turkey 870sm, I carried that one day with the true thumbhole stock, will be the next camoing project.
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

No problem on the mouth call, I have plenty of hot air, or at least thats what everyone tells me.

My Phantom e-caller, works when it wants to, not when I need it to.
Grizzly Johnson

$250 is the "new" low end call and the new jack decoy that attaches right to the side of caller..... I can pick the 35 sounds that comes with it and everyone who has had an issue, can't say enough about their great customer service......

Just going to take saving up the extra cash to buy.... going to try to pick up a 6x20x50 scope to put on the LTR .223 from our friend FF..... fairly soon I hope.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Looks great Grizz. I've got a FoxPro Spitfire and like it a lot.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Looks great Griz....If I did that and showed off my sponge painting skills, my wife would make me paint something for her. You may want to keep it on the low-down.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

That freakin' thing look GREAT!!!!!!!!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

THAT LOOKS GREAT !!! :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Good job. Nice technique.
Grizzly Johnson

Here are a couple more outside pics from today:

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

It looks really good but why don't you guys use etching primer for you base coat, comes in a light dry grass color and sticks to plastic and metal 100% better than any other primer or paint. I comes in a rattle can and most automotive stores sell it.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Grizzly Johnson

If I change my mind on the pattern..... the paint alone would probably come off easier..... It had the self-etching primer on it originally and it was a pain to get off with one type chemical, but washed off with another.... it wasn't too bad.... if anything does scratch off, I can touch-up with a dab of paint and q-tip.

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”