Day 21 of the 2019 Ohio Squirrel Season

everything except turkey & deer
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 21 of the 2019 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

As I drove back the waterway this morning, I encountered a doe that almost made
me run over her before she ran into the corn. As I neared my spot, I saw a fox across
the creek headed away. This is the 2nd time I have walked up on 1 in the same spot.
Guess I’ll have to be sneakier! It was 07:32, overcast, calm, & 64 with a bright sunrise
starting behind me. The Weather Channel say no chance for rain until 01:00 this
afternoon at which time I would be home ready for The Bucks game.

At 07:34, I heard a nut drop (walnut) across the creek behind me. Looking over my
right shoulder, I spotted a bushy in the tree tops. I got up, moved to the creek bank,
took a rest against a tree, & watched for the fox to move into an opening. When it
did, the .17 cracked & the bushy hit the ground with that dead squirrel thud within a
foot or 2 of the base of the trees into some weeds. I watched & saw no movement.
I crossed the creek & spent the next 16 minutes looking o no avail. The only thing
I can figure is that I missed & it moved off staying low to the ground instead of the
usual run-like-hell departure.

At 07:59, I heard 2 more nuts drop across the creek but couldn’t see anything. At
08:03, a deer blew up on the ridge twice but I couldn’t see it either.

It goes against my nature & I hate shooting any animal & not finding it, wounded or
dead. So, at 08:05, I crossed the creek & spent another 10 minutes searching. I
didn’t even find a hair or spot of blood so I consigned myself to believing that I missed
& it got away.

At 08:20, it started to sprinkler a little but not enough to be of concern. By 08:30, it
had started to come down pretty hard so I did my best impression of a fat, old dude
with a fake knee making a Run Through the Jungle to the truck. Have You Ever Seen
the Rain while squirrel hunting? Since I am a Fortunate Son, it has happened just a
few times. What I really want to know is, Who’ll Stop the Rain? Luckily, it didn’t
rain enough to change the creek to the Green River. WHOA!!!!! WAIT!!!!!! WAS I
JUST CHANNELING JOHN FOGERTY????

I sat in the truck until it stopped & sat back down at 08:55 when it started to sprinkle
again, naturally. Since I was already wet, I just sat it out, only about 10minutes of light
rain. At 09:25, the sun finally appeared which I hoped would get the squirrels stirring.

At 10:10, a 6 point trotted down the ridge passing about 20 yards from me. He stopped
at the creek & stood there looking into the beans. He turned & took a few steps towards
me to about 15 yards when it saw me & stopped. He knew I was there but didn’t know
what I was. He kept doing the deer what is it thing & moved behind a tree watching me
with 1 eye. I decided to have some fun with him when he stepped into the opening. Every
time he moved his head, I mimicked the movement, he booed & I bobbed. He moved his
head to the side & so did I. He finally moved around in front of me & I did the same thing.
I swear, the look on his face was: “WHAT THE HELL IS THAT & WHY IS IT IN MY WOODS DOING
WHAT I DO!!!!” I scratched my nose, & that sent him white-tailing it into the woods blowing
as he went. This game went on for over 20 minutes!! I thought he was gone only to see him
come back in about 2 minutes inside 30 yards still watching me. I waved at him several times
& he finally trotted off. The last I saw of him, he was well into the woods headed west.

I thought: "If you act this stupid during hunting season, you may as well stick you head between
your legs & kiss your whitetail goodbye as you be dead!!!!"

I decided to head in at 11:30 with some sun but still cloudy & 75. I had seen these mushrooms
when I came in thinking it would make a cool pic with a bushy or 2.
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 21 of the 2019 Ohio Squirrel Season

Post by HunterGKS »

I think, based on body sized & his sleekness, he was last years fawn.
He sure was a pretty little deer.
George

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Are them shrooms edible
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

OLE RASPY wrote: September 21st, 2019, 8:44 pm Are them shrooms edible
I have no idea. I just thought they wuz purty. Then agin, a lot of things that are purty are poisonous,
like my 6 year live-in gal friend!!
George

Limb Hanger

Post by Limb Hanger »

It looks like a "Hen of the woods" variety of shrooms or maybe just by the color a Chanterelle-both are very good eating. Google how to identify those two and see if that's them or better yet buy a book on e bay or amazon on identifying edible mushrooms wherever you live. I'ts worth learning, they go incredibly good with deer meat and they are everywhere. It's really easier than it seem

Return to “Waterfowl & Small Game”